Mum and daughter aged 50 and 72years.

My daughter and I have booked for a world cruise on Aurora leaving on 2nd January 2016. (only affordable because I down sized from a house to a one bedroomed flat) We are booked into an inside cabin A125. I am hoping for some positive feedback as some of the reviews are not very good and as we will be spending 4 months aboard we are hoping that the experience will be a good one. I decided on a world cruise as I have always wanted to go to Australia and New Zealand but do not like flights longer than 8 hours. My daughter decided to come with me as it was nearly as expensive for one as paying for two! We would be grateful for any info, useful tips etc and anything which P&0 don't tell you in the brochure. Many thanks Patricia

Oh my goodness!!! I've nothing to add - no experience on a world cruise - never been on P&O but I am SO EXCITED for the both of you! What a grand adventure and to be able to share it Mother & Daughter is priceless. I wish you a wonderful sailing full of future memories!!!!!

Aurora is a unique ship, built specifically for world cruises, and I know several people who have done this cruise. She's a beautiful ship- had a £30,000,000 refit last December...I was on her the previous month and she was looking good then, but I hear the changes are excellent.

At least you can take as much luggage on board as you want- stewards pack cases away if you can't store them under the bed. You can also take alcohol on board, but don't overdo it!- Drinks prices are very good.

I believe that the £5 daily tip is calculated on each segment of the cruise, so it's not one vast bill at the end.

Like many others, we'll be watching on TV/forums as you sail away with fireworks in the background.

Enjoy your preparations. :cool:

Patricia, you and your daughter are fortunate to have this exciting journey in front of you! I will always treasure the Southern Caribbean cruise my mom and I enjoyed together. Wonderful, lasting memories...she is now 86 years young.

The World Cruising forum may be of interest to you: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=833, as well as your destinations on the Ports of Call forums: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5. Have a wonderful cruise! :cool:

Patricia, Wow I am so incredibly happy you will be able to do this with your daughter. I lost my mom last June. I had always planned to take her on a cruise, but dad wouldn't go and she wouldn't go without dad so it was never to be.

I hope that you have the most wonderful trip of a lifetime. Don't worry about the reviews of your ship. We just sailed on the NCL Getaway and the ship hadn't been boarding for 2 hours when we were on an elevator and a lady came on with her walking frame and announced to the entire elevator "Well I'm already disappointed in this ship." One of the other ladies on the elevator piped up, "You might want to give it more than just 2 hours, dear." LOL! The Getaway is a gorgeous ship and we had a great vacation. Seriously, I see some of the negative reviews here and think, maybe these people are too spoilt or the kind who are never happy with anything or maybe they are trying to manipulate for a discounted cruise or something. Sure, some things might not be absolutely perfect on any cruise, but with a good attitude and a sense of humor and compassion for the staff who work so very, very hard to please you, they rarely matter and often, can wind up being a fond memory.

It looks to me that the biggest issues are not having enough movies on TV/repeats of live shows. So, get an IPAD and download shows and movies you want to watch and books you want to read. Delete and download more at on land internet cafes as needed. So simple! According to some reviewers you can bring wine onboard, but have to ask for wine glasses for your cabin! What a catastrophe! LOL! Whining about tough lamb...why didn't the cruiser just send it back and get something else? I'm sure the waiter would have obliged.

I had to laugh at the review that said there were only apples, oranges and pears onboard...then went on to say... and one time bananas... and that they had strawberries in the dining room as if eating fruit were the entire focus of the cruise. Really? Set aside some money to eat in port on your world trip so you can experience different cuisines and the ship food won't be boring. Solutions to the various complaints I'm seeing in the reviews are so simple: enjoy the ship's entertainment, but also take your entertainment into your own hands with an IPAD or tablet, don't only eat on the ship, try foods in the various ports. Honestly it is like these reviewers feel they must be led around by the nose every step of the way and spoon fed exactly what they want to eat at all times or it's a terrible cruise. LOL!

I believe that you will have an absolutely glorious time on this fantastic world cruise! Make the most of it, research all of your ports, plan amazing excursions, enjoy the ship and live every day to the fullest! You and your daughter are blessed and fortunate! Never forget that or take it for granted! Congratulations and bon voyage!

SuiteTraveler,

Well said! I also just lost my mom and my dad refused to go on a cruise, so she never had the opportunity.

I have had similar experiences with people complaining. The funniest one was a woman behind us complaining about smoking on the balcony, but this was even before we boarded the ship!

Just a thought!

With your ages, be sure you have Medical/Evacuation insurance for such a long cruise, it will be expensive, but is an absolute must. Nobody knows the future, nor what might happen in foreign ports.

I would never contemplate such a long cruise (12 days is my max on a ship), but then I don't LOVE cruising on that big open ocean. I take my daughter and granddaughter on short land-based trips frequently throughout the year, building wonderful memories.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

SuiteTraveler,

Well said! I also just lost my mom and my dad refused to go on a cruise, so she never had the opportunity.

I have had similar experiences with people complaining. The funniest one was a woman behind us complaining about smoking on the balcony, but this was even before we boarded the ship!

Wow, that woman must have been a real joy to cruise with. (NOT)

Just a thought!

With your ages, be sure you have Medical/Evacuation insurance for such a long cruise, it will be expensive, but is an absolute must. Nobody knows the future, nor what might happen in foreign ports.

I would never contemplate such a long cruise (12 days is my max on a ship), but then I don't LOVE cruising on that big open ocean. I take my daughter and granddaughter on short land-based trips frequently throughout the year, building wonderful memories.

Hope you have an amazing trip!

Yes, they'll have insurance because it's a requirement of P&O before you go....everything's entered into your cruise personaliser, so that if the unfortunate event happens, the Port Agent is aware, and the cruise line adviser- who is in California and deals with P&O and Princess problems- can be straight on to the insurers...

• 1 month later...
Patricia, Wow I am so incredibly happy you will be able to do this with your daughter. I lost my mom last June. I had always planned to take her on a cruise, but dad wouldn't go and she wouldn't go without dad so it was never to be.

I hope that you have the most wonderful trip of a lifetime. Don't worry about the reviews of your ship. We just sailed on the NCL Getaway and the ship hadn't been boarding for 2 hours when we were on an elevator and a lady came on with her walking frame and announced to the entire elevator "Well I'm already disappointed in this ship." One of the other ladies on the elevator piped up, "You might want to give it more than just 2 hours, dear." LOL! The Getaway is a gorgeous ship and we had a great vacation. Seriously, I see some of the negative reviews here and think, maybe these people are too spoilt or the kind who are never happy with anything or maybe they are trying to manipulate for a discounted cruise or something. Sure, some things might not be absolutely perfect on any cruise, but with a good attitude and a sense of humor and compassion for the staff who work so very, very hard to please you, they rarely matter and often, can wind up being a fond memory.

It looks to me that the biggest issues are not having enough movies on TV/repeats of live shows. So, get an IPAD and download shows and movies you want to watch and books you want to read. Delete and download more at on land internet cafes as needed. So simple! According to some reviewers you can bring wine onboard, but have to ask for wine glasses for your cabin! What a catastrophe! LOL! Whining about tough lamb...why didn't the cruiser just send it back and get something else? I'm sure the waiter would have obliged.

I had to laugh at the review that said there were only apples, oranges and pears onboard...then went on to say... and one time bananas... and that they had strawberries in the dining room as if eating fruit were the entire focus of the cruise. Really? Set aside some money to eat in port on your world trip so you can experience different cuisines and the ship food won't be boring. Solutions to the various complaints I'm seeing in the reviews are so simple: enjoy the ship's entertainment, but also take your entertainment into your own hands with an IPAD or tablet, don't only eat on the ship, try foods in the various ports. Honestly it is like these reviewers feel they must be led around by the nose every step of the way and spoon fed exactly what they want to eat at all times or it's a terrible cruise. LOL!

I believe that you will have an absolutely glorious time on this fantastic world cruise! Make the most of it, research all of your ports, plan amazing excursions, enjoy the ship and live every day to the fullest! You and your daughter are blessed and fortunate! Never forget that or take it for granted! Congratulations and bon voyage!

Thank you so much. When I booked last October it seemed such a long time ahead but now I'm starting to feel excited at the prospect of all the adventures we will be experiencing. We will make the most of everything!