RCCL Take Note...... Follow Carnival

Don't be hating the booze smugglers, because the wine and champagne

lovers are next.

The booze smugglers (myself) keep the heat off the lovers of the grape.

And the ships water is sourced mostly from the ports visited.

So the swelling ankles are not from the ships water.

Look for the blue hoses on the pier.

I thought they had desalination plants onboard

Please remember that this is RCCL, and not Carnival. Carnival has some serious issues when it comes to smuggling. Not only is smuggling an issue, but families bring shopping cart load of soda and water on board. People use fold up hand trucks. This policy is is to control "slightly" some of their issues. The last thing we want RCCL to be is anything like Carnival.

It would not be bad, if you could buy water for those that think it's better than the tap water. Since some bottled water is nothing more than tap water filtered, and since the ship already filters the water the same way as they do for the tap water, they can produce their own brand of water and sell it! (Next to the free water). Wouldn't that be funny!

Please remember that this is RCCL, and not Carnival. Carnival has some serious issues when it comes to smuggling. Not only is smuggling an issue, but families bring shopping cart load of soda and water on board. People use fold up hand trucks. This policy is is to control "slightly" some of their issues. The last thing we want RCCL to be is anything like Carnival.

It would not be bad, if you could buy water for those that think it's better than the tap water. Since some bottled water is nothing more than tap water filtered, and since the ship already filters the water the same way as they do for the tap water, they can produce their own brand of water and sell it! (Next to the free water). Wouldn't that be funny!

OMG. Really

Glass has nothing to do with it. It's more about the ease of opening something like a soda or water bottle, replacing the contents with alcohol, and putting the cap back on. It's not quite as easy to re-seal an aluminum soda can.

And I don't think they're naive enough to think this change will make it impossible for anyone to sneak liquor onboard. It just makes it a little bit harder.

Someone can take a 12 pack of soda, carefully open the cardboard at one end, remove the cans of soda and replace them with 12 cans of beer, then reseal the the end with superglue or hot glue gun.

Someone can take a 12 pack of soda, carefully open the cardboard at one end, remove the cans of soda and replace them with 12 cans of beer, then reseal the the end with superglue or hot glue gun.

I've seen security open up and inspect the contents,then tape it back up.

It's not their first rodeo...lol they can't stop everyone,but if anyone is that obvious,they will get caught.

I've seen security open up and inspect the contents,then tape it back up.

It's not their first rodeo...lol they can't stop everyone,but if anyone is that obvious,they will get caught.

4 sodas and 8 beers might work then

4 sodas and 8 beers might work then

By inspect I meant they took out all the cans. If they just looked at the ones initially visible,it would be pointless.

If they were shaking and inspecting ever bottle,that lets you know how thorough they are in these situations.

Edited by ohiogymrat

By inspect I meant they took out all the cans. If they just looked at the ones initially visible,it would be pointless.

If they were shaking and inspecting ever bottle,that lets you know how thorough they are in these situations.

What they should do is take out the cans, empty the cans, fill the cans with water, reseal the cans and finally reseal the box.

You've made your anti-Carnival feelings felt in other posts here and on the CCL board. Time to give it a little rest, don't you think? No cruise line is perfect for everyone.

Edited by joepeka

You've made your anti-Carnival feelings felt in other posts here and on the CCL board. Time to give it a little rest, don't you think? No cruise line is perfect for everyone.

Yes, but look at the uproar on Carnival over this policy and the policy of returning bottles of booze in the morning of debarking instead of the night before. Carnival has recognized that they are having a ballooning problem with abuse of alcohol and they are doing things to curb it. One of the reasons I like RCCL is that drunks are not banging on doors in the middle of the night, which occurred on two separate occasions.

Yes, I am extremely happy when I see Carnival finally trying to fix their issues. Will this stop it all. No, but it is also a sign that they lost control and have recognized it.

So why is it that other cruise lines, including RCCL can trust their guest and Carnival can't?

These boards are an open discussion, and with any open discussion, the good and the bad are discussed. It's not all meant to be sugar coated.

Yes, but look at the uproar on Carnival over this policy and the policy of returning bottles of booze in the morning of debarking instead of the night before. Carnival has recognized that they are having a ballooning problem with abuse of alcohol and they are doing things to curb it. One of the reasons I like RCCL is that drunks are not banging on doors in the middle of the night, which occurred on two separate occasions.

Yes, I am extremely happy when I see Carnival finally trying to fix their issues. Will this stop it all. No, but it is also a sign that they lost control and have recognized it.

So why is it that other cruise lines, including RCCL can trust their guest and Carnival can't?

These boards are an open discussion, and with any open discussion, the good and the bad are discussed. It's not all meant to be sugar coated.

I do have to apologize for my earlier comments. I normally strive to keep my comments objective and non-judgmental but slipped up in this case. You're correct - this is an open discussion board and your opinions are just as important as mine. :)

Royal Caribbean has its own issues, which is why my next cruise on Royal Caribbean will be my last for at least three years.

Ships distill sea water into fresh water with the heat from the engine.

No reverse osmosis desalinating plants on ships.

I could have sworn the Chief Engineer on Monarch said they had both desalination and reverse osmosis.

I could have sworn the Chief Engineer on Monarch said they had both desalination and reverse osmosis.

Quick google search reveals that cruise ships desalinate water using either flash evaporators or osmosis. They don't do it in port because of coastal pollution. After they desalinate the water it is further treated in a mineralization plant, sanitized etc.

searches on rci ships show at least some with reverse osmosis desalination units installed.

From RCI

Onboard production. We use steam desalination or reverse osmosis to convert seawater into fresh potable water. We also produce water through waste heat recovery. We heat diesel engine cooling water and steam from exhaust gas boilers and turn it to steam.

Bunkering. We acquire water from local sources at our ports of call. This is known as “bunkering.”

Capturing condensation. The condensation from air conditioning systems is collected for such uses as machinery operation and doing laundry.

Ships distill sea water into fresh water with the heat from the engine.

No reverse osmosis desalinating plants on ships.

You mean the chief engineer at the Captain's Corner has been lying to us all these years?

Quick google search reveals that cruise ships desalinate water using either flash evaporators or osmosis. They don't do it in port because of coastal pollution. After they desalinate the water it is further treated in a mineralization plant, sanitized etc.

searches on rci ships show at least some with reverse osmosis desalination units installed.

Huh??? Are we still talking bottled drinking water here?...'cause this just got a little deep for someone who just needs liquid to take her meds in the morning and ward off the noonday heat! :confused: