RCCL Take Note...... Follow Carnival

The Carnival cruise I went on if you were carrying an open bottle of water while boarding, it got thrown in the trash.

I think the person mentioned something about it going in the bottle holder their backpack when it had to go through the scanner and such so maybe that is how they got away with it. I had no reason to disbelieve them. Also, could depend on which port, people, time, day, etc. :)

Royal really needs to follow Carnival's lead lately. Between the reasonably priced social media Internet package and now this policy. John Heald catches alot of flack, but, alot of these Carnival movements and policies are a result of the feedback and questions he asks on Facebook. Royal needs to catch up.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Saw this earlier and the response on the CCL board so far has been very positive. Especially when they offer the ability to pre-cruise purchase very reasonably priced bottled water for delivery to your cabin - $2.99 (plus local tax) for a twelve pack of 500ml (~16 oz.) bottles. Less than 30 cents per bottle.

I read it as pre boarding the cost PER BOTTLE is $2.99 when you get a 12 pack. on board the cost is 4 something. while still overpriced, it is more on par with Disney or your loical amusment park

i did like how the article specifically called out smugglers and stressed that there would be little to no profit made on pre selling the water.

and since they are still going to allow cans, you can't even complain about not having your favorite brand on board

I read it as pre boarding the cost PER BOTTLE is $2.99 when you get a 12 pack. on board the cost is 4 something. while still overpriced, it is more on par with Disney or your loical amusment park

i did like how the article specifically called out smugglers and stressed that there would be little to no profit made on pre selling the water.

and since they are still going to allow cans, you can't even complain about not having your favorite brand on board

http://www.carnival.com/funshops

If you do a test purchase it comes up as $2.99 per 12pk.

I don't mind them making a little bit of profit. Double that would only be $6 to pre-purchase a 12-pack for your cruise. I could live with 50 cents per bottle. :)

They're making a decent profit even at $2.99. I just purchased a case of water (35 half litre bottles) at the local big box store for $2.99.

They're making a decent profit even at $2.99. I just purchased a case of water (35 half litre bottles) at the local big box store for $2.99.

Remember when the thought of BUYING water was the most ridiculous thing ever?

:)

I like the fact that all smuggled alcohol will be confiscated and destroyed without compensation.

That will certainly take a burden off the staff that had to tag it, store it, and return it at the end of the cruise.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this, but I'm thinking that CCL is doing this to prevent the use of bottled water as a means to bring alcohol on the ship.

You're not misreading it.

Perhaps I'm mis-reading this, but I'm thinking that CCL is doing this to prevent the use of bottled water as a means to bring alcohol on the ship.

As Greg said, you're not misreading it - and although it won't eliminate alcohol smuggling but it will definitely reduce the smuggling options.

I definitely think that reasonably priced bottled water makes sense for both the cruise line and the passengers. I'm glad that at least one cruise line has management that's paying attention.

I think they should stop worrying about it altogether and let you carry on whatever beverage you like.

They could certainly do that but the loss of revenue from onboard drink sales would have to be made up elsewhere in order to remain profitable. Likely this would have to be an increase in cruise fare for everyone. :)

I have a feeling that Carnival and maybe RCI will start investing in on-board ship bottling plant. The water in many brands of bottled water is minimally treated tap water (hope tap water snobs are OK with that) and with a bit of water chemistry the ship's water can be used in bottled water. Imagine that - the cruise line making money on the stuff that is usually free from the tap.

I like the fact that all smuggled alcohol will be confiscated and destroyed without compensation.

That will certainly take a burden off the staff that had to tag it, store it, and return it at the end of the cruise.

but I bet port employees will be loving life....

Love the idea of reasonable priced water. The ship water is fine but it does contain more salt and my ankles swell. So I bring water on board. I hate to schlep it on cause it's heavy. If I could get all the bottled water I wanted for a week for $10 I'd do it. 24 ought to be enough. RCL water price is obscene. I can understand too the no soda rule. Just don't let them ban water and then make us buy their expensive stuff that tastes bad anyway.

what's wrong with Evian :confused:

I'v always thought it tasted like, umm, water

The cost that Royal charges you for Evian is ridiculous for bottled water, regardless of it being a name brand. That's what's wrong with it!