Just returned from 8 day Carnival Cruise,

chsalas

I know, this is a Princess board, I'm a Platinum Level Princess customer and I am brand loyal, however we just got off a Carnival cruise with my entire family (my BIL arranged it so it was not my choice). I will not bash Carnival, I knew what to expect going into it, but there are 3 or 4 things I think Princess could consider implementing that would make cruising a little more enjoyable.

1. The FunTimes (Patter equivalent) has a folded in tear away section that has all the activities and times . That was easy to tear out and fold into a front pocket. On the back side, all important times, contact phone numbers on port days, and restaurant hours and dress code. pretty nice idea and convenient.

2. Late night Pizza and 24 hour Ice cream. That was nice after a night of dancing to be able to get a soft serve (self service) ice cream or a slice to help with the alcohol digestion. I don't want the buffet open all night, that's just wasteful, but the late night snack was nice. Just a thought.

3. An adult Comedy Show, (after 1100 ) with a mandatory 18+ policy, the comics were hilarious and held nothing back.

4. A stand alone burger/fast food idea. Loved the Guy Fieri burgers, they were outstanding. The burger options on Princess leave a lot to be desired. I know, it's cliche, but it worked, and worked well. The only thing is the burger bar was only open a few hours a day, but it was awesome. The Blue Iguana tacos were awesome too!

I'm a Princess customer, I think that by far, the service, selection of ports, the quality level of ships and entertainment are superior, and the cleanliness is much much better, but these little idea would make Princess just a little better.

Just a thought

Local Princess Customer. :)

thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I have considered trying carnival to see if it's an option for the future...I hate saying I don't ever want to go on a cruise line just based on others opinions and it's great to see some positive take aways!

Do you think you would go on carnival again?

Thanks for your review. We will be retiring soon and the cost of cruises will be very important. We have been talking about possible doing Carnival. Our big concern is that it always appears to be a "party" ship. Did you find this when you were on it?

I have considered trying carnival to see if it's an option for the future...I hate saying I don't ever want to go on a cruise line just based on others opinions and it's great to see some positive take aways!

I doubt it, I don't think I will consider that again. Next time we do something like this, I'll make the arrangements on Princess.

Thanks for your review. We will be retiring soon and the cost of cruises will be very important. We have been talking about possible doing Carnival. Our big concern is that it always appears to be a "party" ship. Did you find this when you were on it?

YES, after about noon, the patry crowd took over the pool decks and the main areas. It was rowdy from noon till the dinner hour and then the party moved to the interior areas. Loud, and the kids running around all night. Not my cup of tea.

DH and I tried Carnival last October. It was ok. We liked Guy's Burgers and enjoyed the Blue Iguana too. We liked the size of our standard balcony stateroom as apposed to a standard Princess balcony because for roughly the same price Carnival provides a sofa where Princess doesn't unless you pay for a premium balcony or MiniSuite.

There were areas on the Carnival Conquest which I felt needed more thorough cleaning and maintenance.... I did not see any thing like that on the Golden Princess which was impeccable.

We did not like the fact that ALL the time we went to the main pool on Carnival there was such loud music it was hard to hear and the bar crowds at the Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequilla Bar ( which flank each side of said pool) were very raucous and at times too drunk for my taste... Especially with so many children present. It caused us to pri,airily spend our pool time at the covered adult pool.

One other frustrating aspect on Carnival for us was that in the evenings the photography teams had so effectively blocked the thoroughfares with equipment, staff and electrical lines that it made it almost a gauntlet to try to get through from the center atrium to either the aft dining rooms or to the forward theatre. Obviously they are on board to sell photo opportunities, but it certainly wore on our fun evening to have to basically join the single file lines every night to make our destination. Again, I did not experience those things on Princess.

The STAFF however, we're amazing! I never felt that ANY member of the crew was not working as hard as they possible could to make our cruise wonderful. Our dining room staff was friendly, attentive, polite, and helpful. Our cabin steward made us feel like we were the only guests he had to attend to. Our cabin was clean, comfortable and he was there very soon if we wanted for anything.

Overall I would seek less of a "party fun ship" Carnival, and go for the more elegant, yet relaxed atmosphere of Princess or Holland America.

Cathy

....after about noon, the patry crowd took over the pool decks and the main areas. It was rowdy from noon till the dinner hour and then the party moved to the interior areas. Loud, and the kids running around all night. Not my cup of tea.

I always cruise the first and second week of December after the Thanksgiving break is over. I wonder if the 'party crowd' atmosphere would be as intense as your cruise during the first week of summer vacation? Or maybe there would be a lot less kids and more adults that like to have fun but are a bit less loud?

:D

I always cruise the first and second week of December after the Thanksgiving break is over. I wonder if the 'party crowd' atmosphere would be as intense as your cruise during the first week of summer vacation? Or maybe there would be a lot less kids and more adults that like to have fun but are a bit less loud?

Itinerary has a lot to do with it. Short cruises to exotic islands or Mexico tend to get the partiers. I've been on more sedate Carnival cruises. I'm one who much prefers a Carnival buffet over Princess (though I haven't tried the new ones on Royal or Regal.)

I know, this is a Princess board, I'm a Platinum Level Princess customer and I am brand loyal, however we just got off a Carnival cruise with my entire family (my BIL arranged it so it was not my choice). I will not bash Carnival, I knew what to expect going into it, but there are 3 or 4 things I think Princess could consider implementing that would make cruising a little more enjoyable.

1. The FunTimes (Patter equivalent) has a folded in tear away section that has all the activities and times . That was easy to tear out and fold into a front pocket. On the back side, all important times, contact phone numbers on port days, and restaurant hours and dress code. pretty nice idea and convenient.

2. Late night Pizza and 24 hour Ice cream. That was nice after a night of dancing to be able to get a soft serve (self service) ice cream or a slice to help with the alcohol digestion. I don't want the buffet open all night, that's just wasteful, but the late night snack was nice. Just a thought.

3. An adult Comedy Show, (after 1100 ) with a mandatory 18+ policy, the comics were hilarious and held nothing back.

4. A stand alone burger/fast food idea. Loved the Guy Fieri burgers, they were outstanding. The burger options on Princess leave a lot to be desired. I know, it's cliche, but it worked, and worked well. The only thing is the burger bar was only open a few hours a day, but it was awesome. The Blue Iguana tacos were awesome too!

I'm a Princess customer, I think that by far, the service, selection of ports, the quality level of ships and entertainment are superior, and the cleanliness is much much better, but these little idea would make Princess just a little better.

Just a thought

International café is open 24/7.

Thanks for the report. While "blue" adult comedy after 11:00 might sound appealing, I have never been on a Princess cruise where I thought that the clientele would crave it. Most nights, it is hard to build a crowd in Skywalkers or Club Fusion (or any other venue) after 11:00. I don't think that Princess cruisers are the demographic for late night adult comedy.

Last summer we did a 5 day out of Charleston. Mostly went because I wanted to see Charleston.......DH wanted a cruise.

We were on a smaller Carnival ship. Not a huge party atmosphere. More families not as many 21-? Partiers. Food was ok. I still say Princess is best. Cabin was fine. Workers were great- no complaints....

What I thought was nice FREE adult sanctuary area. Wish Princess did that. Oh and a Mongolian Grill! That was our favorite lunch on Carnival.

Friends did a mid October cruise said it wasn't bad.... few kids so that was better

I guess I'd avoid spring break

Still prefer Princess, but if the price, ports and time works..... I'll try again.....lots of ifs....;)

Not fun for me or convenient.

Ice cream and assorted things are all loaded with fat and sugar. Not good. I'll pass.

3. An adult Comedy Show, (after 1100 ) with a mandatory 18+ policy, the comics were hilarious and held nothing back. I've seen it twice, nothing to write home about.

i try to pay attention to my diet... burgers and fries are so unhealthy they will shave ten to twenty years off your life...

Just a thought

No, I don't think any of these ideas would be good. We've taken two Carnival cruises and never again!

No, I don't think any of these ideas would be good. We've taken two Carnival cruises and never again!

Wow - it is vacation. Having burger, fries and ice cream on vacation are not going to take 20 years off of their lives. Vacations are about treating yourself and doing things you normally don't do.

Even my friends who are doctors eat (and serve their kids) hamburgers and ice cream periodically.

Nina - I try to pay attention to my diet as well, except when I'm on vacation. I scrimp and save and do without for eleven months of the year, so eating ice cream and burgers and fat-filled sugar-filled everything for a week or two isn't going to kill me. It may put on a few pounds, but I'll live to tell about it.

As for adult-style comedy shows: I saw one on Allure of the Seas and it was GREAT! It 'crossed that line' a lot, and more than once made me cringe, but it was the best I'd ever seen on any ship. Not all adult comedy shows are the same. Sorry the two that you saw were awful.

More than once I've caught myself scanning the Carnival Cruise Lines booking engine for a good deal out of Baltimore or on one of the ships that has the 2.0 Upgrades. Guy's Burger and the Blue Iguana have gotten really good reviews, and it's tempting to cruise CCL again just to be able to savor some good grub. It would be nice to see Princess excel at some pool-deck food other than pizza.

;)

Wow - it is vacation. Having burger, fries and ice cream on vacation are not going to take 20 years off of their lives. Vacations are about treating yourself and doing things you normally don't do.

Even my friends who are doctors eat (and serve their kids) hamburgers and ice cream periodically.

And then there are those who will have the tombstone inscription "I wish I had spent more time at the office".

;)

Sorry, I beg to differ... my husband is diabetic, I am pre-diabetic... no way would I wolf down several hamburgers... maybe once every 3 months? I understand that every one is different... and likes different things... When I go on a cruise, I go for the salmon, medallions, etc. Hamburgers, I can find anywhere, anytime...

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

Thanks for the report. While "blue" adult comedy after 11:00 might sound appealing, I have never been on a Princess cruise where I thought that the clientele would crave it. Most nights, it is hard to build a crowd in Skywalkers or Club Fusion (or any other venue) after 11:00. I don't think that Princess cruisers are the demographic for late night adult comedy.

I disagree.....

It is very appealing. On Princess we have attended several late night adult only comedy shows which were standing room only. There was plenty of interest and clientele. With a good comic there would be no problem filling these type of shows.

Sorry, I beg to differ... my husband is diabetic, I am pre-diabetic... no way would I wolf down several hamburgers... maybe once every 3 months?

Aren't there sugar-free varieties of ice cream and desserts that diabetics can have? I'm sure the ships have them.

:confused:

Sorry, I beg to differ... my husband is diabetic, I am pre-diabetic... no way would I wolf down several hamburgers... maybe once every 3 months? I understand that every one is different... and likes different things... When I go on a cruise, I go for the salmon, medallions, etc. Hamburgers, I can find anywhere, anytime...

Well - for non-diabetics, it is fine for a treat.

I avoid the salmon and think the medallions resemble leather. To each their own.

Platinum on both Princess and Carnival. Mainly sail on the West Coast out of Los Angeles.

We do not sail in the summer and usually avoid other high seasons.

The longer Carnival and Princess cruises are practically the same in terms of passengers.

Both lines have huge pluses and minuses. Prefer Princess's buffet set up and Carnival's MDR food. Also prefer the way Carnival handles ATD. Princess has better selection on its buffet.

Never had dusty shelves, lumpy comforter or a need for mattress topper on Carnival.

Princess's ships are decorated prettier than Carnival's. All of Carnival's ships have center staircases.

The tearoff from the FunTimes is much easier to carry around than the Patters. Also Carnival has extra Fun Times available at many of its bars and Guest Services.

Overall Carnival's cabins are larger. Princess has much better suite perks. Carnival's are non-existent.

ETA---On the Four day west coast cruise Carnival uses three of the old Catalina Ferries. They accommodate scooters and wheelchairs.

Edited by SadieN

When I go on a cruise, I go for the salmon, medallions, etc. Hamburgers, I can find anywhere, anytime...

I'm sure I can go to Pittsburgh, or Morgantown, or even here in Clarksburg, and find salmon and medallions too. Some of us don't just cruise for the food, even though it seems to be a big part of the onboard experience. When making that final decision on which ship to pick - itinerary aside - I'm guessing it's the 'total package' we are looking at, not just the fine-dining experience. I can get that on Carnival Cruise Lines, too, just like I can eat in their MDR and steak house and get salmon and medallions. In my last three B2B's (six cruises) I only ever ate in the MDR once. Once. I prefer casual dining and a really good burger to a steak. To each his own.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Just a thought

Thanks for the review. :)

Well, I've taken a lot of Carnival cruises - the most recent out of Baltimore last month - two were just okay and the rest were outstanding. A majority of people would find the OP's suggestions nice additions to the Princess experience. You obviously have a thorn up your backside simply because it's Carnival.

So, I guess everything Princess serves is healthy?

Oh for goodness sake - this ridiculous. On any cruise ship there is plenty of healthy and not so healthy food. Who cares what anyone wants to eat? I've know people who take care of themselves, exercise, and are dead way too early. Then there are people like my dad who was diabetic and did everything wrong. He sporatically took his insulin, drank beer, and ate ice cream. He died two years ago at the age of 88 because he slipped and broke his hip and had complications from surgery. If he hadn't had his accident, he would probably have made it to 90 or beyond. I personally love Guy's burgers and doubt it will have any impact on my longevity if I eat them on my vacation.

after about noon, the patry crowd took over the pool decks and the main areas. It was rowdy from noon till the dinner hour and then the party moved to the interior areas. Loud, and the kids running around all night. Not my cup of tea.

We are on a 21 day B2B next year on Carnival (while schools are in session). With this being 11 days from Galveston to San Juan and then 10 days back to Galveston I am not expecting a large number of party people and kids, either on an individual segment or the entire trip.

IMHO, Being a "Debbie Downer" will take more years off of one's life than the occasional burger and ice cream will.

Having also recently sailed Carnival only sailing Princess before, I can agree with all of the OP's observations. I would also add that it would be nice if Princess would provide complimentary hot chocolate at all hours like Carnival does.