Silver Spirit January 2016 ?'s

yogagal47

We are looking at two different cruises-5601 and 5602-both on Spirit. Does anyone have thoughts on either or perhaps experience sailing Spirit to these ports?

We have sailed on Whisper twice but it has been quite some time ago. The first time was in the Baltic and the second, in Alaska. We loved both cruises which were 9 days each.

I have another question regarding cabins on deck 5 on the Spirit. Does anyone have any experience with the cabins that are close to the bar? Our friend will be using her wheelchair on occasion and will therefore need to book the only remaining accessible verandah cabin which is 533. Since it is so close to the bar is noise ever an issue? Thanks for any and all feedback!

I'm especially lazy, so perhaps I'll be shouted down, but it would be VERY helpful if you would take the time to list your ports, rather than just give the cruise number and expect people to go to the SS website and find your ports and then come back here to comment for you.

As for suites on Deck 5 on Spirit, as far as I know they're not affected by noise from the bar. We had problems in a specific suite on deck 6 - above the Bar - but the suites on the same deck are fine.

Sorry Nigella-just thought the savvy SS folks on the boards would find that easy. I tried to copy and paste-hope this works

Jan 07 2016ThursdayFort Lauderdale, Florida, United States of America 6:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 08 2016FridayDay at Sea

Jan 09 2016SaturdayCozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico8:00 AM10:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 10 2016SundayCosta Maya, Quitana Roo, Mexico8:00 AM4:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 11 2016MondaySanto Tomas, Guatemala7:00 AM6:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 12 2016TuesdayBelize City8:00 AM5:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 13 2016WednesdayDay at Sea

Jan 14 2016ThursdayKey West, Florida, United States of America8:00 AM5:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 15 2016FridayFort Lauderdale, Florida, United States of America7:00 AM SHOW

Jan 17 2016SundayDay at Sea

Jan 18 2016MondayOranjestad, Aruba1:00 PM11:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 19 2016TuesdayWillemstad, Curaçao, Netherlands Antilles7:00 AM11:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 20 2016WednesdayKralendijk, Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles7:00 AM10:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 21 2016ThursdayDay at Sea

Jan 22 2016FridayRoseau, Dominica8:00 AM11:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 23 2016SaturdayCastries, St Lucia, West Indies8:00 AM10:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 24 2016SundaySt George's, Grenada8:00 AM5:00 PMSHOW +

Jan 25 2016MondayBridgetown, Barbados5:00 AM SHOW +

Just got off the ship yesterday--we have had cabins on virtually every deck except 11 and 4. We always used to do deck 9 because we loved the convenience of the pool deck and the panorama lounge in warm weather ports. The past two cruises we were on deck 5. I would avoid the first two cabins all the way in front if possible (I think they are 501 and 502) because of the location during rougher seas, they are at the end of the hall, anchor usage in tender ports etc. We have really found the cabins to be quite soundproof and rarely hear anything. We have also had cabins right next to the elevators and that has not been a problem either. Even with the music in the main bar, the stage is diagonally across from the bar, and the music kept pretty low and mellow, so I wouldn't anticipate a problem.

In regard to the itineraries, we personally prefer the second one due to the quality of the islands, beaches and activities (and we have been to almost all the ports in both). But what you might want to check is which ones are tender ports. It could be that they have an equal number of tender/dock ports, but we would prefer the second one anyway. You could potentially also get better weather on the second itinerary as the ABC islands are pretty dry (at least Aruba is).

I have done both itineraries, more or less, (on different cruise lines), and I vastly prefer the Southern itin.

On the Western itin.:

Santo Tomas is a busy, very noisy, industrial dock and you have to travel a long way on most excursions.

Belize is a very long tender ride in to shore.

Cozumel and Costa Maya are very, very touristy without much else to redeem them.

The Southern itin. should all be at dock and the various islands, whilst indeed also touristy, have more intrinsic history and culture.