Classic Beverage Package "Know Before You Go"

jer_l

EW: I truly get your math, and respectfully... thank you for making my point! :) In reality, you and DW have consumed about $10-15 (in wholesale drinks) throughout your day. I get it. Coffee's? (ridiculous markup), water? (where do I start?!), juices, beers, wine, drinks?

Total $96 value?? :eek: Ummm, no. Don't think so. Again, the word is "perceived".

I am NOT debating the merits of the drink packages. Just kinda pointing out some facts here in this discussion.... :)

96$ value or not, that is calculated with the prices from the drink lists, I guess. So that is the base of calculation, not prices in Wall Mart....One can choose to drink his wine, water, etc. in the parking lot of the grocery store, or on an ocean view terrace during a nice cruise :) Prices will be different sure, but the experience is too

Edited by Cruiseline Virgin

EW: I truly get your math, and respectfully... thank you for making my point! :) In reality, you and DW have consumed about $10-15 (in wholesale drinks) throughout your day. I get it. Coffee's? (ridiculous markup), water? (where do I start?!), juices, beers, wine, drinks?

Total $96 value?? :eek: Ummm, no. Don't think so. Again, the word is "perceived".

I am NOT debating the merits of the drink packages. Just kinda pointing out some facts here in this discussion.... :)

The fact is that if you want a drink on board the ship you either pay the price (included as a perk with your fare or buying a package separately) or you don't drink anything but the free water, coffee, tea or juice (also included in your fare).

Morning Julia!

I bussed my first table in 1968 and spent many years in the Dallas restaurant business. I have friends that own craft breweries. We drink Starbucks.

Wholesale? Not on any cruise ship offered by any of the 7 diff lines we have sailed. Perceived? Naw, just the facts Mam.:)

May you have clear skies and calm seas, is it our time to board yet?:D

EW

We are thinking of booking (1st time on X) due to the 123 offer. But, having read this thread, we are now not sure it is such a good deal. What I am still unclear on is how the classic pkg works. Is it based on a $ limit? Or does it vary by type of drink? Are all special coffees included? If it is $ based why is it so hard to know what is included? Can't one easily tell based on the bar menus?

This will be a deal breaker between a X cruise and one on another line so any help in understanding the pkg will be greatly appreciated.

Unless you are someone who does not drink alcohol, it is actually a really great perk. I can see where the thread makes it sound complicated, but it isn't really. I had this perk on our last cruise. The bartenders are used to being asked what beers or what wines are included in the package. You quickly get to know what lounge has which wine or the beers or the spirits that the ship is stocking that are included. Unless you are fussy about specific wines, beers and spirits you absolutely must have or die, it is not necessary to upgrade to the premium package.

The perk also includes fresh squeezed OJ, bottled water and special coffees like cappuccinos and coffee drinks with alcohol.

I know Celebrity got me to book with them twice because of this perk. My outside voice says it was the ship, the cabin and the itinerary, but my inner mind knows it was that drink package that put it over the top:)

You got it. If you want one of the craft beers, like a great Dogfish 90 double IPA which is over the classic cost cap, you pay the entire amount. Where as if you simply paid the $12 per day to upgrade you could try 25-30 of the craft beers that are covered by the Premium cap.

( ps: Bud, Coors, and Miller covered by the Classic, are not real beer )

Craft beers alone --reason to upgrade. Although the prices Celebrity puts on these is ultra high-eg--The Dogfish 90 @ $11-$66 a six pack.:eek:

We should all keep in mind that Celebrity has conditioned us well. The drink packages, OBC, and/or grats are not free perks. They are priced into your fare.

Not entirely. For our up coming 10 day back on the Equinox currently an Aqua 2 from the web site is:

Cruise Fare avg per person

$2,149 USD*†

after a $1300 Texas resident discount, with NO PERK!

This is over $500 per person higher than what we paid and we have all 3 perks, the OBC is $600, plus $100 from the TA, plus $150 from Capt Club, plus $200 from the Celebrity Visa, and a Specialty dinner for 2.

Conditioned? You Betcha we are!

EW

Craft beers alone --reason to upgrade. Although the prices Celebrity puts on these is ultra high-eg--The Dogfish 90 @ $11-$66 a six pack.:eek:

F.Y.I.

If you can find it up there, Founders has a Limited Release out called Devils Dancer, a triple IPA @ 11%:eek: It is $19 a 4 pack in Texas, and OH SO GOOD!

EW

We should all keep in mind that Celebrity has conditioned us well. The drink packages, OBC, and/or grats are not free perks. They are priced into your fare.

That may be so but we often get our fares for a price with the perks that is very competitive compared to other lines without the drinks included, so either way, it is a saving for us.:D

On Summit 2 weeks ago with classic package which was a perk for us. WE were able to get most drinks that we wanted. Beer choices were limited. Wine choices varied depended upon where you were on the ship. The only place that I got negative feelings about having the classic package was in the wine bar on deck 4 outside select dining. We sat at a table for a very long time without any service. Bar was not busy. When we were the only couple in the room, I finally got up and walked over to the bar. The bar tender saw my card in my hand and promptly said that I couldn't get anything with "THAT CARD.". I hadn't said a thing. If I wanted to order and pay for a premium drink, I could have ordered anything. Who was he to tell me what I could order. What a nasty attitude. It turned out that he was wrong. After reading the menu, there were some wines and beers that were available. I had a very nice wine and my spouse had a beer. With a disgusting attitude, the bar tender served us. Needless to say, we never went back to that bar. We were quite annoyed at the rude attitude of the bar tender. Fortunately, the rest of the bar staff at other bars were very nice. The classic beverage package included many good choices.

On Summit 2 weeks ago with classic package which was a perk for us. WE were able to get most drinks that we wanted. Beer choices were limited. Wine choices varied depended upon where you were on the ship. The only place that I got negative feelings about having the classic package was in the wine bar on deck 4 outside select dining. We sat at a table for a very long time without any service. Bar was not busy. When we were the only couple in the room, I finally got up and walked over to the bar. The bar tender saw my card in my hand and promptly said that I couldn't get anything with "THAT CARD.". I hadn't said a thing. If I wanted to order and pay for a premium drink, I could have ordered anything. Who was he to tell me what I could order. What a nasty attitude. It turned out that he was wrong. After reading the menu, there were some wines and beers that were available. I had a very nice wine and my spouse had a beer. With a disgusting attitude, the bar tender served us. Needless to say, we never went back to that bar. We were quite annoyed at the rude attitude of the bar tender. Fortunately, the rest of the bar staff at other bars were very nice. The classic beverage package included many good choices.

How terrible, Service like that (or lack of it) requires a comment card to be submitted to guest services.:(

The Martini Bar is off-limits to folks with the Classic package. That was our experience on the Summit last month. They wouldn't make a small Martini (or even a Cosmo). We heard other folks had the same experience, and then there were other folks (on other ships) who said they got the smaller Martinis at the Martini bar. It may have something to do with how busy they are, or whether they want to be bothered making a smaller version. Why knows.

You can go to any of the other regular bars to get a Martini or other similar drink with any of the Classic brands.

You can bring your drink back to the Martini bar if you want to meet friends there or something.

We used our classic package cards at the martini bar on our Bermuda cruise. DH would order a vodka on the rocks and I would usually do vodka with cranberry and something else. They were served in tall glasses, rather than martini glasses.

Monica

We used our classic package cards at the martini bar on our Bermuda cruise. DH would order a vodka on the rocks and I would usually do vodka with cranberry and something else. They were served in tall glasses, rather than martini glasses.

Monica

I asked for a cosmo - I was told NO. I even asked if they could make a small one. Same no.

People had previously posted on here that they were able to get smaller martinis, cosmos and appletinis at the Martini Bar, which is why I tried.

It was one evening just before dinner - I was waiting for my partner, and I was sitting in the area, so I figured I would try. I will say it was really busy, so perhaps that's why they said no.

Hopefully you reported the atrocious service and attitude to someone at Guest Relations?

It's a shame if you did nothing about it. Complaining after the fact doesn't allow Celebrity to correct the problem, and doesn't do anything to correct the problem for the next passenger.

I asked for a cosmo - I was told NO. I even asked if they could make a small one. Same no.

People had previously posted on here that they were able to get smaller martinis, cosmos and appletinis at the Martini Bar, which is why I tried.

It was one evening just before dinner - I was waiting for my partner, and I was sitting in the area, so I figured I would try. I will say it was really busy, so perhaps that's why they said no.

A woman on the cruise previous to mine had checked out the martini bar to find out the 'rules.' She said they would not make any martini's, regular or small glass. As I knew that from the start, when I first walked up, I said to the bartender (not crowded at that time), "I know the classic drink package does not include martini's. Could you please make me something similar to a cosmo?" No problem. We made sure to ask the same bartender. He was very friendly. He was busy other times but still made our drinks. We never asked for a true martini.

Monica

I got the classic package as part of 123....to me it is a no brainier. "Not to upgrade". There are enough choices. Don't need premium alcohol...another $10 a day adds up and defeats the "free package". 1 would never have bought the package myself because I would never purchase that many drinks in a day to make it worthwhile...

Could not agree with you more. Just got off the Infinity after 12 day cruise. Upon boarding, someone was there encouraging us to upgrade our beverage plan. Asked for info on what was included in our classic plan; she searched for several minites before locating a flyer. We reviewed it and said this will do us fine. Throughout the cruise, we never encountered one problem. In MDR the wine steward made excellent recommendations based on our package each evening.

I do not drink soda and, obviously, we are not especially particular when it comes to wine or mixed drinks. Without a doubt, Celebrity made money on us. Fresh squeezed OJ and a glass of wine certainly falls under the daily benefit. We would never purchase this benefit if it would not provided as part of our booking. We enjoyed it but would not have missed it.

One thing we were looking forward to was getting the bottled water to take with us as we disembarked for the ports. Several times there was no table set up. This was a disappointment to us! It was hit or miss and not sure why. Next time we will make sure we obtain before heading to the gangway.

Could not agree with you more. Just got off the Infinity after 12 day cruise. Upon boarding, someone was there encouraging us to upgrade our beverage plan. Asked for info on what was included in our classic plan; she searched for several minites before locating a flyer. We reviewed it and said this will do us fine. Throughout the cruise, we never encountered one problem. In MDR the wine steward made excellent recommendations based on our package each evening.

I do not drink soda and, obviously, we are not especially particular when it comes to wine or mixed drinks. Without a doubt, Celebrity made money on us. Fresh squeezed OJ and a glass of wine certainly falls under the daily benefit. We would never purchase this benefit if it would not provided as part of our booking. We enjoyed it but would not have missed it.

One thing we were looking forward to was getting the bottled water to take with us as we disembarked for the ports. Several times there was no table set up. This was a disappointment to us! It was hit or miss and not sure why. Next time we will make sure we obtain before heading to the gangway.

We always grab some bottles the night before for in the cabin and then on the way to the gangway for any excursion. As you say, it can be set up or not )or just too busy) by the gangway.

We were a large family group and got off the Silhouette last week, the Classic Alcoholic worked just fine for us. DH, my brother and brother-in-law were very happy with Glenfiddich, my sister and I got some quite drinkable Merlot, Cab and Sauvignon Blanc, though the Pinot Noir could have been better. It certainly helped that our sommelier was an extremely nice girl who went out of her way to find wines for us at dinner. The first evening we told her what we liked and she always found a way to work round it.

I did ask once at the Martini Bar if they could make a smaller drink for me, they said no, like for DinaS. But none of us is really a martini drinker, so it wasn't a big deal.

Edited by prish

I'm paying $1299 for a c2 on a 7 day cruise. Granted the drink package isn't costing celebrity $50 a day but that's what I would be paying if I purchased it. The paid gratuity and OBC is real money dollar for dollar. The same cruise this year in the same category was going for $200 more 30days before sailing with out perks. So while it's true that the prices may have gone up to cover the perks I'm not the one paying it's those who booked without the perks who are paying.

I'm paying $1299 for a c2 on a 7 day cruise. Granted the drink package isn't costing celebrity $50 a day but that's what I would be paying if I purchased it. The paid gratuity and OBC is real money dollar for dollar. The same cruise this year in the same category was going for $200 more 30days before sailing with out perks. So while it's true that the prices may have gone up to cover the perks I'm not the one paying it's those who booked without the perks who are paying.

That's true. I thought that after the 1-2-3 "promo", prices were going to be unchanged for a while, but the promo ended and prices increased at the same time! Double jab for those new bookings!

That's true. I thought that after the 1-2-3 "promo", prices were going to be unchanged for a while, but the promo ended and prices increased at the same time! Double jab for those new bookings!

I agree, but it does vary somewhat depending on the cruise. If it isn't selling then the price will drop and then people who had already booked will feel like they were had.

I agree, but it does vary somewhat depending on the cruise. If it isn't selling then the price will drop and then people who had already booked will feel like they were had.

Yep. It is hard to tell from just looking at a 1 or 2 cruises. The prices are all over the place based on so many different factors. Our Aug-2016 Baltic cruise is priced higher now than what we booked it for in March in the final week of the last 123GO that gave all 3 perks to balcony cabins. Fewer perks and higher fare today, although of course that will keep changing.

But in the broader scheme of things, such promos are still coming out of the same big pot of money. If they don't get our money in one way, they'll usually find a way to get it in another. We might find a great deal (fare + perks combined) during a sweet spot but they can't maintain revenue that way in the long run. Over the long run the perks and fare sales offset each other.

Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to find those sweet spots. :D

Yep. It is hard to tell from just looking at a 1 or 2 cruises. The prices are all over the place based on so many different factors. Our Aug-2016 Baltic cruise is priced higher now than what we booked it for in March in the final week of the last 123GO that gave all 3 perks to balcony cabins. Fewer perks and higher fare today, although of course that will keep changing.

But in the broader scheme of things, such promos are still coming out of the same big pot of money. If they don't get our money in one way, they'll usually find a way to get it in another. We might find a great deal (fare + perks combined) during a sweet spot but they can't maintain revenue that way in the long run. Over the long run the perks and fare sales offset each other.

Our mission, should we choose to accept it, is to find those sweet spots. :D

So true, and the issue is that the 'sweet spot' is different for each destination, itinerary and time of year/season.

Interesting read, thanks all.

Had the Classic Bev and upgraded to Premium on the Summit in 2013, not sure if we got the value out of that with a few extra drinks but it was convenient and gave us an easier mindset. ;)

First impression is again to upgrade to Premium once onboard Reflection next year (of course we also have the 123Go :D) but the different points of view given here by others are valuable too!

We upgraded the first couple of times we had the package. We wanted the yogurt parfaits from the Aqua cafe (they were an extra charge otherwise), DH wanted a particular brand of tequila and we wanted no restrictions at the martini bar. It was worth it to us.

Last time we cruised we didn't upgrade and that was fine too. The brand of tequila included was acceptable to DH and we didn't bother with martinis or anything else. The wine selection was fine for me. DH is celiac so he doesn't drink beer - mostly tequila and bloody ceasars.

Ultimately though, if Celebrity is giving us the classic package, it's a worthwhile freebie to us, for sure.