Help with Ft Lauderdale Hotels - Area, Amenities

LuCruise

Thank you. I showed DH the comments about La Quinta. We were going to change it, but kept it for now (mostly because after we cancel La Quinta, we need to wait a few days to book Comfort Inn to get his points back so we could apply them). We'll see...may still change it. We also discussed taking a cab back after dinner if we're not comfortable or even a cab to a beach instead if we decide to try that.

Has anyone checked into the Dania beach hotels? I was pricing the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western there and they are way less than Hyatt, Embassy, and Comfort. Is this area close enough. I'm guessing it must be because the BW says shuttle from airport and close to port. Is the Dania area safe and pretty nice? Don't need many things cause by the time we get there just need to get dinner, go to a CVS type store, and get to bed. Not really going to have much time for beach probably but we'll see.

Also, never used any travel sites before. Just from past experience are there any safer to use than others? Was looking at Booking and Travelocity. Or is it better to just book thru the hotel directly? Thanks for any help!!

Has anyone checked into the Dania beach hotels? I was pricing the Holiday Inn Express and the Best Western there and they are way less than Hyatt, Embassy, and Comfort. Is this area close enough. I'm guessing it must be because the BW says shuttle from airport and close to port. Is the Dania area safe and pretty nice? Don't need many things cause by the time we get there just need to get dinner, go to a CVS type store, and get to bed. Not really going to have much time for beach probably but we'll see.

Also, never used any travel sites before. Just from past experience are there any safer to use than others? Was looking at Booking and Travelocity. Or is it better to just book thru the hotel directly? Thanks for any help!!

BW is in a better area with more food and shopping. I don't really like either area, but would feel less safe walking in the area by HIE.

Hello, Does anyone know if the Hyatt Place is in a safe location? Flying to Fort Lauderdale for one afternoon and night pre-cruise. Hope to see the Riverwalk, have dinner. Added bonus would be a walk on the beach.

Any ideas and info would be appreciated. Cruise is early November.

Hello, Does anyone know if the Hyatt Place is in a safe location? Flying to Fort Lauderdale for one afternoon and night pre-cruise. Hope to see the Riverwalk, have dinner. Added bonus would be a walk on the beach.

The location is fine. Your transportation options to get to Riverwalk, Las Olas and the beach are taxi, sun trolley until around 6:30 (http://www.suntrolley.com) or getting to the nearest water taxi stop (http://www.watertaxi.com) at the Hilton Marina and using that to get downtown. That would be my recommendation since you can hop on and off the water taxi and stop near the beach and then go to the Riverwalk.

Just thought of one more thing - if your cruise is the between November 5 - 9 that will be during the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. If you haven't made hotel reservations do it right away - they will sell out. I think the water taxi also has a different schedule during the boat show but it is a great way to see the boats since there are hundreds docked along the intracoastal.

Edited by capriccio

There are 2 Hyatt Places near the airport: Dania Beach and Ft Lauderdale. The one on SE 10th Ave in Ft. Lauderdale is in the best location for what you want.

There are 2 Hyatt Places near the airport: Dania Beach and Ft Lauderdale. The one on SE 10th Ave in Ft. Lauderdale is in the best location for what you want.

Fenwick - the SE 10th Ave Hyatt Place was the one I was referring to in post #30.

Any thoughts out there on the Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn on Seabreeze Blvd? We'd just be staying one night before cruising on 11/28 so basically just need a place to hang out for the night, maybe do some shopping/walking on the beach and grab some dinner before grabbing a cab the next morning to Port of Miami.

Nice neighborhood, things to do nearby, etc.? It has good reviews on TripAdvisor... Thanks!

Jim

Edited by JimS4210

Any thoughts out there on the Best Western Plus Oceanside Inn on Seabreeze Blvd? We'd just be staying one night before cruising on 11/28 so basically just need a place to hang out for the night, maybe do some shopping/walking on the beach and grab some dinner before grabbing a cab the next morning to Port of Miami.

Nice neighborhood, things to do nearby, etc.? It has good reviews on TripAdvisor... Thanks!

Jim

I haven't been in the BW Oceanside, but I can at least tell you about the neighborhood. It is about a block away from the beach, so it's a great location for a beach walk.

There are a few restaurants very close by( 1-6 blocks): 3030 at Marriott(Upscale), Sea Level at Marriott, Mexican at Sonesta Hotel, Bahia Cabana at Days Inn, Oasis Cafe, something else at Bahia Mar Hotel.

There isn't any shopping really close. Beachplace is about 1.5 miles north. Harbor Shops and Southport shopping center are about 2 miles south. Las Olas Downtown is about 2.5 miles NW. Galleria Mall is about 4 miles NW.

I haven't been in the BW Oceanside, but I can at least tell you about the neighborhood. It is about a block away from the beach, so it's a great location for a beach walk.

There are a few restaurants very close by( 1-6 blocks): 3030 at Marriott(Upscale), Sea Level at Marriott, Mexican at Sonesta Hotel, Bahia Cabana at Days Inn, Oasis Cafe, something else at Bahia Mar Hotel.

There isn't any shopping really close. Beachplace is about 1.5 miles north. Harbor Shops and Southport shopping center are about 2 miles south. Las Olas Downtown is about 2.5 miles NW. Galleria Mall is about 4 miles NW.

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll just hang out on the beach. Life can be so tough... :)

Jim

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll just hang out on the beach. Life can be so tough... :)

Jim

You're welcome. If the weather is nice, you might enjoy the walk to Beach Place. Also go to Bahia Cabana, open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and drinks...it's a flip flop and shorts kind of place on a big marina....the food is nothing special but it's a cool place.

Thank You capriccio and royalcruz for your helpful info about Hyatt Place.

We will be in Fort Lauderdale on Nov 1 just before the boat show! :)

Any ideas for places for dinner? Casual is fine. I am a veggie, but my

husband will eat anything!

Vegetarian? No problem! These are by the hotel:

I think you'll like this one... http://greenbarkitchen.com/

There is a Pei Wei about 6 blocks east.

There is a Mexican restaurant Carlos & Pepe's just east of Embassy Suites.

Most of the other casual restaurants will offer typical limited veggie options, like salads or sides.

If you decide to eat downtown, you'll find plenty of options on Las Olas, like:

Louie Bossie's has great Margarita pizza

Fork & Balls has fried veggie meatballs made from chickpeas.

Noodles Panini has great bruschetta, eggplant parm, and meat-free pastas.

Cheesecake Factory has good salads, grilled artichokes, veggie burgers, etc.

Asia Bay has a large selection of rolls, stir fries, and great veggie pad thai.

Edited by royalcruz

double post

Edited by royalcruz

I have reservations to stay the night before a cruise next month at the FairfielD Inn & Suites/Mariott on Griffin Rd in Dania. They have a good price for the park & cruise, not much more than parking alone at the port.

Can anyone give me some info on them? Is it a safe area? Any ideas on restaurant for dinner close by (we will have our car, so doesn't need to be in walking distance). We'll only have the afternoon & evening - we'll arrive around 3:00 driving from cental Florida (Lakeland).

LuCruise

I just booked 2 rooms for the Comfort Inn on S federal Hwy. We are also sailing on the Allure in April 2016. What date are you sailing? We leave on the 24th of April. If you want to go shopping or eating don't worry about walking, Take an uber. My son swears by them. Cheaper and nicer than taxis. I looked on google maps and there appears to be a CVS next door and an outback steakhouse about 3 blocks away. We are coming in by train so I need to find transportation from the train station to the hotel. I have a party of 8, any suggestions?

LuCruise

I just booked 2 rooms for the Comfort Inn on S federal Hwy. We are also sailing on the Allure in April 2016. What date are you sailing? We leave on the 24th of April. If you want to go shopping or eating don't worry about walking, Take an uber. My son swears by them. Cheaper and nicer than taxis. I looked on google maps and there appears to be a CVS next door and an outback steakhouse about 3 blocks away. We are coming in by train so I need to find transportation from the train station to the hotel. I have a party of 8, any suggestions?

We're a couple weeks before you. We still have La Quinta booked, but are debating between that and Comfort Inn (but if we cancel LaQ, then it may take a few days to get points back so apply it to a Comfort Inn booking).

What's an uber? Never heard that term.

Not sure about the train as we'll be flying and the hotels offer airport transportation. You could always call the hotel for suggestions.

Uber is a private car service like a taxi service. Everything is done thru their app You sign in tell them where you are going and they will give you a price and how long for driver to get you If you agree they will send you a picture of your driver and the car being used. charged to your credit card (on file). No cash changes hands . fast service ,drivers friendly ,and newer clean cars . They are located all over the U.S. www. Uber.com

Uber rules! It is a fraction of the price of a cab and the cars are all late model and a lot cleaner than cabs.

My girlfriend's son is driving for them and he drove a couple to Miami from 17th Street and it was only $35!

I have reservations to stay the night before a cruise next month at the FairfielD Inn & Suites/Mariott on Griffin Rd in Dania. They have a good price for the park & cruise, not much more than parking alone at the port.

Can anyone give me some info on them? Is it a safe area? Any ideas on restaurant for dinner close by (we will have our car, so doesn't need to be in walking distance). We'll only have the afternoon & evening - we'll arrive around 3:00 driving from cental Florida (Lakeland).

The Field and Royal India are good restaurants on Griffin Rd.