avalon update

pully8

pleased to report we have now received a goodwill payment from Avalon waterways related to one of our recent river cruises.

it has taken some time to resolve but now fixed. part of our frustration was around communication issues and we have provided feedback.

looking forward to more travel in the future. happy cruising to all.

Still have not a clue as to what happened to the OP? Just a cryptic message on another posters thread. OP were you on that same cruise????

Really glad Avalon came thru and assisted you.

Edited by JVilleGal

Thanks for the update. I knew Avalon would come through for you. :) They are a professional organization that has been in business for a very long time and know the importance of satisfying their customers and putting them first.

Is 11 years a very long time in terms of being in business? They may be many things but in business a long time is not one term I would use when talking about Avalon. Especially when not compared to other river companies.

Edited by Coral

Thanks for the update. I knew Avalon would come through for you. :) They are a professional organization that has been in business for a very long time and know the importance of satisfying their customers and putting them first.

Avalon is one of the newer companies out there. If you are looking for companies that have been business for a long time - Viking, Uniworld, GCT and Vantage. Even though there parent company has been business for along time, that doesn't always work when they change industries. It worked very well for Tauck. Globus' track record is sort of mixed as a land based company.

Edited by Casey12

Glad to read pully8's posting.

We disembarked an Avalon Rhine River cruise in Amsterdam on May 9. We encountered significant problems and delays due to the high water levels on the Rhine. As a result there were 4 days when we didn't sail. Avalon had promised us a generous refund as well as $200 pp for the inconvenience of swapping ships between Strasbourg and Bingen.

As of today, over a month later, we have still not received either of these refunds to our credit card. We have heard that Americans on our cruise received their refunds at least 2 weeks ago, but Canadians have not. I wrote to Customer Relations at the end of May, and their reply was that it would take 4 to 6 weeks before they would investigate and reply to us.

Needless to say we are not impressed with the slow response and the time it is taking to receive the refund. Otherwise, we were very happy with the alternate arrangements made by Avalon and how they handled the very difficult situation. Our cruise director Katy H. was outstanding.

We disembarked an Avalon Rhine River cruise in Amsterdam on May 9. We encountered significant problems and delays due to the high water levels on the Rhine. As a result there were 4 days when we didn't sail. Avalon had promised us a generous refund as well as $200 pp for the inconvenience of swapping ships between Strasbourg and Bingen.

As of today, over a month later, we have still not received either of these refunds to our credit card. We have heard that Americans on our cruise received their refunds at least 2 weeks ago, but Canadians have not. I wrote to Customer Relations at the end of May, and their reply was that it would take 4 to 6 weeks before they would investigate and reply to us.

Needless to say we are not impressed with the slow response and the time it is taking to receive the refund. Otherwise, we were very happy with the alternate arrangements made by Avalon and how they handled the very difficult situation. Our cruise director Katy H. was outstanding.

Are you just waiting?? Or have you made a phone call and sent an e-mail.... Things to go wrong and fall they the cracks! Avalon may not realize you got overlooked!

JMHO

I phoned Avalon and was told that I had to e-mail Customer Relations which I did. They replied that it would take 4 to 6 weeks to "investigate." We are not the only ones who do not have a refund -- our friends who travelled with us also have not received their refund.

Hi Tobermory,

We are sorry to read that you have not yet received your refund. we ask that you please call our team at 416.915.6071 so Antonella can personally address any outstanding issues and concerns. Thank you so much!!!

Thank you very much to Avalon Waterways for posting the contact information. I have phoned the number indicated, and all is OK. We should be receiving our very fair and generous refund within the next week or so.

We very much enjoyed our Avalon experience on the "Avalon Tranquility II." We were more than satisfied with how Avalon and our cruise director Katy H. handled the problem caused by high water levels on the Rhine. Even though we stayed onboard the ship in Strasbourg for five nights, we still completed our tours in Strasbourg, Heidelberg, Mainz and Rudesheim. By transferring to the "Avalon Visionary" for the last two nights, we were able to sail through the beautiful Rhine Gorge on a sunny afternoon. We did miss stopping at Cologne, but we sailed by at night when the lights, including those lighting up the Cathedral, were absolutely spectacular. We also thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary excursion to the Keukenhof Gardens when we reached Utrecht as well as the evening canal cruise through Amsterdam with the beautiful lights along the canals and bridges.

We highly recommend Avalon Waterways based on our experience. Thank you again, Avalon. -- Allen & Gail

Is 11 years a very long time in terms of being in business? They may be many things but in business a long time is not one term I would use when talking about Avalon. Especially when not compared to other river companies.

They are owned by Globus, so that's what I meant - the COMPANY has been in business for a very long time.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

They are owned by Globus, so that's what I meant - the COMPANY has been in business for a very long time.

I am not one that buys into this logic. It is sort of like saying Costa must be a well run company because their parent company is Carnival Corp and has been around for a long time or identifying that fathom will be well run because Carnival Corp is their parent company.

The line needs to stand on their own as they are run like a separate entity.

Edited by Coral

I am not one that buys into this logic. It is sort of like saying Costa must be a well run company because their parent company is Carnival Corp and has been around for a long time or identifying that fathom will be well run because Carnival Corp is their parent company.

The line needs to stand on their own as they are run like a separate entity.

Coral do you have a particular issue with Avalon?

Coral do you have a particular issue with Avalon?

No, I don't. There have been several complaints on this board about them and I find it odd that people say since the parent company has been around for a long time, all their companies must be great. I just don't think you can judge a company that way. The company needs to stand on it's own, not on the parent companies reputation.

Thank you very much to Avalon Waterways for posting the contact information. I have phoned the number indicated, and all is OK. We should be receiving our very fair and generous refund within the next week or so.

We very much enjoyed our Avalon experience on the "Avalon Tranquility II." We were more than satisfied with how Avalon and our cruise director Katy H. handled the problem caused by high water levels on the Rhine. Even though we stayed onboard the ship in Strasbourg for five nights, we still completed our tours in Strasbourg, Heidelberg, Mainz and Rudesheim. By transferring to the "Avalon Visionary" for the last two nights, we were able to sail through the beautiful Rhine Gorge on a sunny afternoon. We did miss stopping at Cologne, but we sailed by at night when the lights, including those lighting up the Cathedral, were absolutely spectacular. We also thoroughly enjoyed the complimentary excursion to the Keukenhof Gardens when we reached Utrecht as well as the evening canal cruise through Amsterdam with the beautiful lights along the canals and bridges.

We highly recommend Avalon Waterways based on our experience. Thank you again, Avalon. -- Allen & Gail

I'm new to river cruising so maybe Avalon's generous refund is the norm. Is it normal to expect refunds when acts of nature interfere with a cruise? How much of a refund did you receive, or what percentage of your cruise price was it?

I'm new to river cruising so maybe Avalon's generous refund is the norm. Is it normal to expect refunds when acts of nature interfere with a cruise? How much of a refund did you receive, or what percentage of your cruise price was it?

Each situation on the river is uniquely different and so what the cruiselines (any of them) offer would be different. Some cruiselines have better reputations than others. Sometimes the "benefit" being paid is kept confidential and the affected passengers are asked to NOT reveal the settlement.

IMHO it may not be polite to ask if the info was not offered.

Edited by JVilleGal

I am somewhat surprised at the "pro-Avalon Waterways" on this board. Many of the posts seem to come from people who have not sailed with them yet. The travel agency I work with prefers not to sell it. They indicated that their clients have a more positive experience with other river cruise lines. I have not been on Avalon to compare. I will probably stay with Uniworld and Tauck as they seem to be a good fit.

Edited by Casey12

Maybe your TA gets better payout from other lines?? There is very little negative comments about Avalon on this board and I have been researching River Cruises this board for over 2 yrs.

I'm sure you will enjoy who ever you chose sail with!

a few comments. choice is there for any travel product albeit within personal limitations/requirements, budgets etc.

brand names are important and people will often chose by a name/reputation/marketing. loyalty can also be a factor.

when/if things go wrong for whatever reason the process is just as important as any financial solution.

customer service varies as we all know. sometimes we are delighted even surprised by efficient good service. it would be ideal if this was the norm. we value those who demonstrate an appreciation of their customers needs.

sometimes a brand will be inconsistent with quality. it is how they respond when this happens and communication is key.

happy cruising.

I don't know what the experience on an Avalon ship is like (although when things go well most people have a great time on any river cruise on any line), but my impression from reading all the river cruising threads on Cruise Critic is that when things don't go well Avalon is quick to try to make it right. That would be an important factor for my TA -- so I second the motion that you should press your TA to explain why they are cool to Avalon. BTW this is not to undermine your TA -- they may have good reasons based on their own experience or the feedback from their customers -- that's exactly why we use a TA.