Can someone confirm this alcohol question about RCCL

I've heard RCCL is the most difficult cruise line to get rum runners through checked bags. Is that true? Any packing tips for the large 32 oz rr's?

used Rum Runners (a couple of the big ones) last year when we cruised home from Hawaii on Radiance.

I made sure I put them in our folding toiletries bags so if they showed up it would look like other things in there. Didn't have a problem. Also used them the week before on Pride of America and have used them on flight to Bali and return without incidence.

I've heard RCCL is the most difficult cruise line to get rum runners through checked bags. Is that true? Any packing tips for the large 32 oz rr's?
and go on carnival, they won't care how much booze you pack in your carryon...:rolleyes:

Seems a heck of a lot of planning and faffing around just to smuggle some drinks on board. Why not just pay for them as you go, or if you drink a lot, buy a drink package?

Or, better yet. Stick to legal stuff, and only get the free booze at various functions. If we have extra obc to burn, we may use it for alcohol.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk HD

Because we had been in Waikiki for a few days before both of the cruises and hadn't finished the alcohol we bought in Waikiki and didn't want to dispose of it. Didn't actually drink any on Radiance as we both PAID for the Premium Bev Package, so no cheating on drinks! Brought the left over alc home with us and from Bali as well. Rum Runners can be used for practicality and weigh less!

The higher they raise the drink prices, the more folks will bring their own booze aboard. I don't mind paying reasonable prices as a "captive audience" for drinks...but when they inflate the prices, and I have no other choices, then it becomes an issue of principle....

Just like sports venues...you expect (and DO) pay outrageous prices for booze...but it's a 3-4 hour thing...

For an entire week, paying the cost of a 6-pack for each beer is unreasonable and more than greedy.

The higher they raise the drink prices, the more folks will bring their own booze aboard. I don't mind paying reasonable prices as a "captive audience" for drinks...but when they inflate the prices, and I have no other choices, then it becomes an issue of principle....

Just like sports venues...you expect (and DO) pay outrageous prices for booze...but it's a 3-4 hour thing...

For an entire week, paying the cost of a 6-pack for each beer is unreasonable and more than greedy.

Whatever you say isn't an excuse to smuggle alcohol. There's always choices and that choice would be not to go on the cruise if you don't agree with the prices. You can also choose not to drink at all or get a drink package. Don't know what you do for a living, but I'm sure you don't want anyone cheating you at your job or try to get over on you. Same concept here.

Try smuggling alcohol into a sports stadium and see what happens. Most won't try it because they know there are consequences there. Royal really doesn't have any stiff consequences that scares people from doing it. If they did, I'm sure there would be less people trying to do it.

All this will lead to royal increasing prices or going back to everyone in the stateroom having to get the package. My wife doesn't drink at all so that would be a waste of money.

and go on carnival, they won't care how much booze you pack in your carryon...:rolleyes:

Please, not true unless you're talking 10 years ago:p

Never had a problem with RR on royal, under the fabric of luggage...Yet, had some removed on a Carnival cruise though...:eek: So much for that theorem...

Don't make me lecture on the vast difference between rules and laws: one's a violation of contract... oh yeah..."RULES".

The other is a govermental requirement.

Not only that, SOOOO many "non-drink" rules are violated by every passenger, if you think your glass house is made of ballistic resistant plexi-glass, you're self deceived.

For those whose eyes burn red with self-righteous blood at the mention of booze contraband and rule breaking, lightenup, it doesn't raise drink prices because...wait for it....it can't be quantified and therefore reduced or increased.

Prices are raised at various times for various on-board purchases.

Each passenger is considered a "Profit Generating Unit" by those in the "nose bleed" section of cruise marketing, who as in politics, try to sneak new and increased fees without causing serious backlash.

As a shareholder (I'm holding one as we speak) that's the bottom line.

For me the chase is on as a game that I' seem to always win...

Just kidding...or...am I???

Don't care about flaming, because it's a virtual flame thrower, so go ahead, if life demands this your enjoyment...

Al out

I'm not going to do this as we have the Ultimate Packages purchased, but if I were to do this I would put the rr's on the bottom with a layer of some shoes at the top of the suitcase as it's laying flat. I am a Radiologic Technologist and therefore know how x-rays work. They will see the denser, more opaque shoes and not the liquids spread out thinly in the rumrunners. I will admit guilt of doing this once in the past and they actually searched my suitcase and confiscated my extension cord but the rumrunner was untouched. They had no clue. But the fear of being caught and denied boarding was too much to make it worth while so I simply won't do it again.:eek:

They increase the drink prices because they can.

It has nothing to do with people smuggling alcohol on boats.

Absolutely true. They will raise prices until they find the point where profits start to drop off. The concept is simple. Finding that price point is a bit harder.

Yes, I can confirm this. Royal Caribbean has installed new RRSS-9000 (Rum Runner Super-Scanner) scanners in their security lines. They are designed to pick up the molecular signature of the plastic used in Rum Runners. But, rather than wasting time in security with confiscating such contraband, they emit a high-frequency radio wave that weakens the molecular bonds in the polymer. Approximately 30 minutes, the rum runner will disintegrate, spilling the contents into your luggage or carry-on bag.

So, if you try to pack them, make sure there are no valuable electronics in the same bag or anything else that might get ruined from the result of this new technology.

:cool:

Carnival does care. They have now eliminated plastic bottles from coming on board, and have made water available to purchase precruise, $2.99 for a 12 pack to offset the new regulation. Each person can bring a 12 pack of canned soda also.

Hahahaha some of these responses are awesome. Fyi anyone wondering...all 6 rum runners got on just fine. I did do some creative hiding that I will not post online because I want to use them again :)

An X-ray machine can see everything in your luggage no matter where you hide it. The operator has to know what they are looking at which it seems some do not have a clue.

An X-ray machine can see everything in your luggage no matter where you hide it. The operator has to know what they are looking at which it seems some do not have a clue.

How do you know every piece of luggage actually is X-rayed?

TSA = eyewash.

May be "port" dependent. Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, and Port Canaveral are so busy, they seem to be tighter on getting booze on board. More practice, and more younger cruisers.

• 8 months later...

I say everyone legal gets to drink for free...PERIOD!!! With the price of cruises it outta be included. Of course, there would have to be some limits put on that like how many in a day or how often. Anything above the limit they set, you pay for!

Problem solved. And I AM planning on using our rum runners on upcoming cruise but are still planning on buying onboard, like the beer. So they are still making money regardless.

Like no one has ever cheated on their taxes either, right. :eek:

On cruise lines, if you get caught you get it back if not you can enjoy it.

But if you can smuggle booze abroad, just think what a group of people working for a foreign, unfriendly group can bring abroad. :eek:

I say everyone legal gets to drink for free...PERIOD!!! With the price of cruises it outta be included. Of course, there would have to be some limits put on that like how many in a day or how often. Anything above the limit they set, you pay for!...

There is a simple solution. Cruise on all-inclusive cruise lines. There are several.