Kids & Bars

Why do you assume adult language means cursing???

Exactly

In fact was just out with a bunch of co workers tonight and we pretty much had the most juvenile discussion :)

Wasn't exactly explicit , and hardly profanity laced, but I guess a lot of parents would bristle if their little darlings heard it.

That may be but RC's drinking age is 21 on all cruises departing from North America.

You missed the point. The question was about whether a minor can sit at the bar and my point is that there are hundreds of laws in the USA plus internationally that makes this discussion silly.

You missed the point. The question was about whether a minor can sit at the bar and my point is that there are hundreds of laws in the USA plus internationally that makes this discussion silly.

being allowed to drink alcohol as a minor with Mumsikins and Daddykins is NOT the same as sitting at the bar.

NYS for instance permits it ONLY at HOME NOT in restaurants or bars,.

and we are not discussing state law.. but Cruise line policy. NO ONE has stated that children are banned from bars and lounges on board (* save the venues that go 18 and up after a certian time frame. ) there is only an opinion that AT the actual bar is not necessarily APPROPRIATE for children.

and just because something is not expressly banned does not mean it is permitted, or should be condoned.

A "glow party" (which is also called a white party) is where you wear all white and they sell glow stick jewelry and such and the have a black light dance party at one of the bars or clubs. I've read on cruise critic that some of the Royal Caribbean ships have it one night during the week.

do they have someone painting your face etc. as well? Is it free of charge?

How much are the sticks? Any idea?

The way I see it is more of a respect thing rather than a oh no my kid is going to see alcohol thing. If the bar is empty or there are plenty of seats at the bar then who cares if a childis taking that seat up. But if the bar is packed and there are a few kids sitting at the bar and no other free seats then their parents should have them get out of the seats if adults are waiting for one.

I look at it the same was as the subway. If you have seat and see an elderly, pregnant, handicap, etc person come on and there are no empty seats you should stand up and give them yours (if you are fit enough to). It is just respect for your elders and it seems that society, at least here in the US, is starting to go away from.

What you see as respect, I see as someone deeming another person too old or infirm to be able to stand somewhere. (and omg do not assume a pregnant woman WANTS to sit down) So now you want kids to decide that adults are too old or infirm while in a bar to be able to wait for a seat?

What you see as respect I see as pretty big DISrespect, LOL.

But then I think calling parents by name lovingly is 100% OK, and calling parents by title because it's demanded for "respect", while thinking they are scum of the earth (because they are) is pretty funny. I called my mom by name and my dad "dad". Guess which one I actually liked as a human, and guess which one was ignored on yet another Father's Day?

In Florida it's OK for kids to sit at the bar. Or at least in Orlando!

My kid hasn't because he is too nervous to, and frankly sitting at bars is uncomfortable! But if I'm in a state or country where it's legal and there are open seats there and he's comfy with it and the seats look comfortable, I'm going for it. If someone sees him there and thinks he's drinking alcohol, well, that's not MY fault that the person is thinking it LOL.

And hearing what adults talk about would likely BORE him to tears more than anything else. Doesn't anyone remember what it was like to hear adults talk? They are either mysterious or totally boring.

Because that is what it means. Language refers to the words chosen, conversation would be the topic or context. You can try to spin it but I'm not buying. This is not a new concept fyi.

I'm with you. Adult *conversation* can mean talking about waxing, your sweetie, politics, prostate exams, colonoscopies... Using adult LANGUAGE means you're swearing while talking about whatever you're talking about.

Also true in Massachusetts and Rhode Island. I think some folks commenting here are confused about the difference between "in a bar" and " at a bar"....but maybe I'm the confused one?! :confused:;)

You might be confused because your area doesn't allow it, and therefore you don't know that other areas do allow it. "In a" bar and "at the" bar are different, and are being discussed differently. :)

Exactly

In fact was just out with a bunch of co workers tonight and we pretty much had the most juvenile discussion :)

Wasn't exactly explicit , and hardly profanity laced, but I guess a lot of parents would bristle if their little darlings heard it.

And that's the "adult conversation" part. If you had used bad language that would have been the "adult language" part.

Why does everyone have to use the "little darlings" sort of language to talk about kids? It comes across as so incredibly rude. It's weird, and so many do it.

Our daughters are adults now and still love to sail Royal Caribbean, all D and D+ in their own right. But when they were young we would take them to the Champagne Bar before dinner and they would order a Shirley Temple while DH and I had our cocktail. They would sit in their pretty dresses feeling all grown up and like it was something special. Because it was something special. Children learn how to behave by actually experiencing things.

The way I see it is more of a respect thing rather than a oh no my kid is going to see alcohol thing. If the bar is empty or there are plenty of seats at the bar then who cares if a childis taking that seat up. But if the bar is packed and there are a few kids sitting at the bar and no other free seats then their parents should have them get out of the seats if adults are waiting for one.

I look at it the same was as the subway. If you have seat and see an elderly, pregnant, handicap, etc person come on and there are no empty seats you should stand up and give them yours (if you are fit enough to). It is just respect for your elders and it seems that society, at least here in the US, is starting to go away from.

As you can see that ship has sailed (pun intended) with too many. I must admit, the reply you got was a pretty warped excuse for lack of respect.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Why does everyone have to use the "little darlings" sort of language to talk about kids? It comes across as so incredibly rude. It's weird, and so many do it.

Because those are rude and condescending people that are incapable of having polite adult conversations.

Because those are rude and condescending people that are incapable of having polite adult conversations.

I'll take your word for it, as you seem to have expertise in that area.

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk

I dunno, this thread seems done.

It's been done for a long time, but I do find it amusing, both with the people indignant that anyone would suggest their "little darlings" shouldn't sit at the bar and those who continue to insist they know what "adult" means. You people are bad passengers who say naughty words....

:D

Our daughters are adults now and still love to sail Royal Caribbean, all D and D+ in their own right. But when they were young we would take them to the Champagne Bar before dinner and they would order a Shirley Temple while DH and I had our cocktail. They would sit in their pretty dresses feeling all grown up and like it was something special. Because it was something special. Children learn how to behave by actually experiencing things.

This sounds great. And I, as someone who weighed in as not caring for kids at bars, would have no problem with this. I think there is a key distinction between that, and say, parents with three or four kids running around on the rising tide bar, or taking up a row of seats at The Schooner Bar.

Just my opinion of course. Now, I'll be happy to wait for people to tell me why I'm not entitled to my opinion!:D

This thread just doesn't want to die :rolleyes: Guess what matter is that the children are comfortable.

It is all about the children. They are our future after all. Gotta make sure they are nice and comfortable. We wouldnt want to put them out in any way would we. :D

I must say this thread has become rather amusing. I dont think it will ever die.

I happen to have 4 little darlings (now all adults) and I call them "little darlings" in the most sarcastic way possible. Call them a lot worse when they aggravate me.

They are all good kids , have never given me REAL trouble, but I have never thought they were angels for one minute. Nor did I expect the whole world to watch their mouth just because they were in the room. If there was someplace I thought they shouldn't be around . I didn't take them there.

I happen to have 4 little darlings (now all adults) and I call them "little darlings" in the most sarcastic way possible. Call them a lot worse when they aggravate me.

They are all good kids , have never given me REAL trouble, but I have never thought they were angels for one minute. Nor did I expect the whole world to watch their mouth just because they were in the room. If there was someplace I thought they shouldn't be around . I didn't take them there.

And if we were to engage in a conversation in a bar and you referred to your kids that way, I would become disinterested in what you had to say and stop paying attention to you. I don't deal with kids with rudeness, sarcasm and condescension. If that is the way you treat them, I'd expect them to return it.

I don't expect people to watch there mouths because kids are in the room, I expect them to watch it because decent people are in the room regardless of age. I do agree, if you don't think your kids should be in a particular place, it is up to you the parent to make sure they are not in that place.

And if we were to engage in a conversation in a bar and you referred to your kids that way, I would become disinterested in what you had to say and stop paying attention to you. I don't deal with kids with rudeness, sarcasm and condescension. If that is the way you treat them, I'd expect them to return it.

I don't expect people to watch there mouths because kids are in the room, I expect them to watch it because decent people are in the room regardless of age. I do agree, if you don't think your kids should be in a particular place, it is up to you the parent to make sure they are not in that place.

Well you don't exactly sound like someone I would want to spend a lot of time with either. So I think we are pretty good there.

Never said I I was rude or condescending to my kids or any others . Sarcasm and inappropriate humor are a family trait , but that is another story. just said no one else's world should have to revolve around them except mine.

Mine are all in their 20s now and they just impress the hell out of me everyday. They go for things and try things and work at things , I didn't even know existed when I was their age. They don't settle, they don't suffer fools gladly, and they don't take crap.

So I guess I did something right.

But please don't let that stop you from becoming disinteresting , stop paying attention to me , and if I am really lucky , moving a few stool away down the bar.

So I guess I did something right.

But please don't let that stop you from becoming disinteresting , stop paying attention to me , and if I am really lucky , moving a few stool away down the bar.

A little sarcasm goes a long way along with a dash of hypocrisy here and there. After all, we wouldn't want our kids following in ALL our footsteps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A little sarcasm goes a long way along with a dash of hypocrisy here and there. After all, we wouldn't want our kids following in ALL our footsteps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always tell my sons you have half the fun I had at your age , you will have the greatest time ever.

I tell my girls if they ever bring home a guy who even remotely reminds me of ME at that age , he'll be going down those front steps three at a time *LOL*