Kids & Bars

I should have been specific regarding children in bars or sitting at the bar. I consider a bar on a ship MUCH different from a land bar. I was referring to a ship bar. I would think twice before taking a child into a land bar but wouldn't give it a second thought on a ship. After all, alcohol is offered and served in almost every venue and children are around alcohol and drinkers just about everywhere except the kids club.

To add, I've NEVER heard or seen any inappropriate language or behavior at any bar on any ship. Happily, I've experienced folks who know how to act in public.

M

Kids might think it it cool to sit at a bar but adults should know better.! Plenty of room for kids to sit at tables in bars. I consider the bar area to be an "adult" area. If a parent lets their kid sit at the bar then that is their prerogative. However, I will not curb any "adult" conversations or language that I wish to have if kids are in the bar area either!

where is the like button?

I think it's funny that there is 1) pretense that I would be worried about what conversation you were having at the bar while my kids were there. I certainly don't expect you to act differently whether kids or only adults are present. 2) that if we were sitting at the tables near the bar we would be less likely to hear the so called adult conversations than if we were at the bar ourselves. I think that's just not true - whether the kids are 3 ft to your left or 3 ft behind you, they are going to hear you the same no matter what. Parents have the responsibility to handle their child hearing adult conversations everywhere (the grocery store checkout aisle can be equally problematic especially with tabloids and gossipy towns people!), and I am sure they have a plan for most of it!

To me, this sounds like entitled people thinking they deserve these 'adult' seats which are really first come, first serve seats coupled with some likely geographic cultural differences.

Where we live and the state next to us both have many offerings that would allow a child a spot at the bar. Most of these establishments double as eateries also and children are allowed and not discouraged from sitting in the bar area when the restaurant is serving food. Often encouraged by hostesses to sit at bar stools especially when it's a smaller party. Some convert over around 8 or 9pm to age limited spaces, but we would always be done before then.

We did opt for a table the times we were in the pub on NAV because that was most convenient/appropriate for our foursome those days since we wanted a table to write on. But I wouldn't have hesitated to take 2 bar stools for the kids and had the 2 parents standing behind them if we were just looking for a fun conversation and drink between activities. If others don't elect to sit there with children, that's fine by me, I won't judge or flame your decision to sit further away.

Louisiana has to be the LOOSEST state for alcohol consumption rules.

I was in a bar/restaurant in NOLA in March, and they would not allow children to sit at the bar.

:)

Yes, it's law here, and many other places, that underage children are not allowed to sit at the bar. I don't think there is any specific rule about it on RC cruise ships, but many will consider it common courtesy to follow that convention. Others will not. :cool:

Children are not of age to consume - they shouldn't be sitting at a bar where patrons who will spend the money can be - and its rude.

Agreed - regardless of any local laws, this takes revenue away from the establishment and it takes space away from a would-be paying customer. Management will generally not say anything to curb the behavior out of fear of offending anyone but this really is one of those 'you should know better' things. Common courtesy.

Edited by Sascol

I think it's funny that there is 1) pretense that I would be worried about what conversation you were having at the bar while my kids were there. I certainly don't expect you to act differently whether kids or only adults are present. 2) that if we were sitting at the tables near the bar we would be less likely to hear the so called adult conversations than if we were at the bar ourselves. I think that's just not true - whether the kids are 3 ft to your left or 3 ft behind you, they are going to hear you the same no matter what. Parents have the responsibility to handle their child hearing adult conversations everywhere (the grocery store checkout aisle can be equally problematic especially with tabloids and gossipy towns people!), and I am sure they have a plan for most of it!

To me, this sounds like entitled people thinking they deserve these 'adult' seats which are really first come, first serve seats coupled with some likely geographic cultural differences.

Where we live and the state next to us both have many offerings that would allow a child a spot at the bar. Most of these establishments double as eateries also and children are allowed and not discouraged from sitting in the bar area when the restaurant is serving food. Often encouraged by hostesses to sit at bar stools especially when it's a smaller party. Some convert over around 8 or 9pm to age limited spaces, but we would always be done before then.

We did opt for a table the times we were in the pub on NAV because that was most convenient/appropriate for our foursome those days since we wanted a table to write on. But I wouldn't have hesitated to take 2 bar stools for the kids and had the 2 parents standing behind them if we were just looking for a fun conversation and drink between activities. If others don't elect to sit there with children, that's fine by me, I won't judge or flame your decision to sit further away.

Well said. I wonder what type of passenger cannot control his/her language in a public place?

M

some places are not appropriate for children to be at . seated AT the bar (anywhere,land or sea) is one of them. there is plenty of room for them in the rest of the lounge where they can enjoy the entertainment or their Shirley temples.

For the most part, I agree that children have no place sitting at the bar.

However, on occasion, we have stepped into a cruise ship bar to just grab a quickie to kill about 10 minutes, where there was absolutely no one at the bar. I have no problem with this, as we could comfortably spend some time with the bartender, have good conversation with him/her, and child actually had some enjoyable times interacting with someone of a different country, culture, and customs.

I would never let my child take up a bar stool otherwise.

sorry....can't agree with you - but your certainly entitled to your opinion. Children are not of age to consume - they shouldn't be sitting at a bar where patrons who will spend the money can be - and its rude. OK - let the flames begin.

Cruise ships are different. It in NOT uncommon for any passenger, regardless of age, to sit in a lounge ( even at the bar) and not order a drink. Passengers will sit in a lounge and listen to music. Think Centrum ( there is a bar there) ,Schooner bar, Viking Crown lounge. We are not big drinkers (hey we don't even use the 3 free drinks we get each night) , don't drink soft drinks, but like to listen to music or dance every evening. Sometimes, there are no seats on the Schooner bar, expect AT the bar so that is where I sit.

It is perfectly fine to sit in any lounge or at any bar on a cruise shop and NOT order a drink.

With the logic of the paying customer deserving the seat....... what about child whose parent buys him/her a soda, and an adult is getting drink and not paying ( drink package, loyalty voucher etc.) Should the adult not paying for a drink to give up the chair for the child with the paid soda? :eek:

Honesty, I rarely see any kids in around the ship in the evening, let alone in the bars or lounges so I am not sure why we even need all this conversation.

M

Well said. I wonder what type of passenger cannot control his/her language in a public place?

M

You are missing the point. I will watch my language and not have adult conversations if I am poolside or in an area of the ship where kids are. However, if I am sitting at a bar enjoying a cocktail I will have an adult conversation and use adult language if I choose too. It is my vacation too! Kids are not banned from sitting at a bar stool but I will not watch what I say either if an inconsiderate parent plops their precious little one on a bar stool!

Some fascinating comments. Some followup questions? If a person only drinks soda are they allowed to stay at the bar? Aren't they taking up a seat? Why can a child watch an adult drink at a table and not at a bar stool? What is the difference? If a child wants a drink of soda why can't they pull up a stool and order it? Are they not at the bar? Can't a child partake in a conversation? Personally I see holes in all the arguments and my kids have always enjoyed pulling up a stool and ordering an ice cold soda!

You are missing the point. I will watch my language and not have adult conversations if I am poolside or in an area of the ship where kids are. However, if I am sitting at a bar enjoying a cocktail I will have an adult conversation and use adult language if I choose too. It is my vacation too! Kids are not banned from sitting at a bar stool but I will not watch what I say either if an inconsiderate parent plops their precious little one on a bar stool!

I wonder what type of passenger cannot control his/her language in a public place.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Some fascinating comments. Some followup questions? If a person only drinks soda are they allowed to stay at the bar? Aren't they taking up a seat? Why can a child watch an adult drink at a table and not at a bar stool? What is the difference? If a child wants a drink of soda why can't they pull up a stool and order it? Are they not at the bar? Can't a child partake in a conversation? Personally I see holes in all the arguments and my kids have always enjoyed pulling up a stool and ordering an ice cold soda!

Kind of lame follow-up questions, in my opinion. But basically, the answer is that children are not banned from sitting at bars on the ship, so they would be allowed. There is a difference between what is allowed and what people think is appropriate.

For example, it would be allowed for a whole group of pre-teen children to occupy all the seats at the pool bar, chatting with each other, and maybe occasionally drinking a soda. Doesn't sound appropriate to me, but it would be allowed.

The irony here is that people defending their right to "adult language" end up sounding pretty childish when they use it. The adults I circulate with don't feel the need to use foul language or act like a fool just because children are not present. If you are at a table next to me and being loud obscene and generally obnoxious as you suggest you intend to be, I'll ask you to shut it whether there are kids present or not. If that is the kind of person you are, I doubt you have anything to say that is worth listening to anyway.

The way I see it is more of a respect thing rather than a oh no my kid is going to see alcohol thing. If the bar is empty or there are plenty of seats at the bar then who cares if a childis taking that seat up. But if the bar is packed and there are a few kids sitting at the bar and no other free seats then their parents should have them get out of the seats if adults are waiting for one.

I look at it the same was as the subway. If you have seat and see an elderly, pregnant, handicap, etc person come on and there are no empty seats you should stand up and give them yours (if you are fit enough to). It is just respect for your elders and it seems that society, at least here in the US, is starting to go away from.

Kind of lame follow-up questions, in my opinion. But basically, the answer is that children are not banned from sitting at bars on the ship, so they would be allowed. There is a difference between what is allowed and what people think is appropriate.

For example, it would be allowed for a whole group of pre-teen children to occupy all the seats at the pool bar, chatting with each other, and maybe occasionally drinking a soda. Doesn't sound appropriate to me, but it would be allowed.

So it's ok for a group of adults to plant themselves at the bar, and occasionally have a drink, or "soda"? Where should they get their drinks? Honestly, the follow-up questions was kind of mockery of some of the responses that stated that kid's have no rights to enjoy themselves but adults can, even if both the adult and child is doing the same thing. What if the group of kids all have the $20.00 package which includes virgin drinks and soda? Where would everyone think these kids would get their drinks? Are they not paying customers? To make matters more interesting.....Laws of bar sitting and/or alcohol drinking on an "international ship" with a client of "international travelers" that live by thousands of different laws all have an opinion. For example a 12 year old can legally drink under certain situations in a number of states. There are countries that the ship sales that do not have a drinking age.

So for the original post, yes, you can sit at the bar and have a drink, at any age, and that seat, if empty is fair game for any paying customer to sit at, regardless of what is being bought.

I have no problem with children accompanying their parents to any location and sitting wherever convenient.

I do have a problem with anyone who thinks it's okay for them to use their "adult" language where anyone can overhear it. I'm an adult but I don't want to listen to swearing/vulgar/4-letter words in a public place. Check the guest conduct policy- specifically indicates offensive language cannot be used in public areas. Please save your "adult " language for your cabin/private areas.

On land or at sea, I am not personally a fan of children sitting at bars. I guess maybe I just think it's nice to have an "adult only" space available. There are plenty of places that are family friendly, and even some that are kids only. What's wrong with saying this are is adults only?

I get that this is not the rule everywhere. And I wouldn't be inclined to say anything about it to anyone. But given my preference, I certainly prefer the bar itself to be kept kid free.

I think kids are, and should be, welcomed into lounges and bars (including DL and CL). I do think there should be a cutoff time in the evening (say 10PM for those under 21 or at least need to be with an adult). I also think the bar itself and bar stools should be utilized by adults if the bar is busy. But generally speaking, no issues bringing kids to lounge/bar/parties on the ship and they should get the same level of service ordering a soda as anyone else gets ordering a drink. I'll bring my child to a bar or lounge or party, but I would not have them use a bar stool at busy times. If the place is obviously "dead" that's a different story. It just takes a little common sense.

An adult conversation is not one laced with four letter words.

Night time at a bar is adult time, no specific hour, just the time when

dinner is finished (late sitting) and I'm about to get my third double

Crown Royal.

Edited by fireofficer5

So it's ok for a group of adults to plant themselves at the bar, and occasionally have a drink, or "soda"?

I don't think anyone should really plant themselves at the bar, unless they are pretty regularly ordering drinks. But that's not a rule, just an opinion.

Honestly, the follow-up questions was kind of mockery of some of the responses that stated that kid's have no rights to enjoy themselves but adults can, even if both the adult and child is doing the same thing.

Interesting that you introduce a dishonest sentence with "Honestly..." Since no one said anything about kids having no right to enjoy themselves, there is nothing honest about that statement.

What if the group of kids all have the $20.00 package which includes virgin drinks and soda? Where would everyone think these kids would get their drinks?

I rarely sit at the bar, myself, yet I do drink. How is that possible? Where do I magically obtain these drinks??? It's a mystery.

Add me to the group that doesn't want overhear someone's else's conversation - whether not it contains profanity.

As to the OP's question .. on Oasis ... the headliner who starred in Hairspray was doing a vocal performance at one of the lounges (Viking?). My then 7 year old daughter was a huge hair spray fan and wanted to go. We grabbed a seat by the floor/stage. She had an Apple Juice and I had a liqueur. She didn't take a seat from anyone. If the seats were in demand, we would have/could have shared a seat/club chair. We had a lovely time and enjoyed a cruise memory. Didn't get any funny looks from other pax or feel out of place.

Check the guest conduct policy- specifically indicates offensive language cannot be used in public areas. Please save your "adult " language for your cabin/private areas.

yea but not you know the rules are for everyone else!

im sure if you dig thru that posters threads there will be some posts about someone breaking the rules and the person complaining

people crack me up, dont bring your kid to the bar even though its not against the rules. but i'll break a rule and use foul language...

I'm not sure if it is a rule on RCCL but some states do not permit children to sit at the bar. Sitting at a table is generally ok and definately ok on the ship. Personally I think children sitting at the bar is tacky.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

I believe it's a law in our state (Illinois). Our best friends are tavern owners and our kids have gone to many events there over the years but never allowed to sit at the bar. My daughter is an almost 21 year old junior at Southern Illinois University. Just the other day she was telling me she isn't allowed to sit at a bar, although in Carbondale they're allowed to enter a bar at 19.

The phrase "it's my vacation", aka excuse, has been so over worked. People use this to justify wearing shorts to the MDR, chair hogging, smuggling booze and all the other obnoxious and arrogant behaviors. Oh, don't forget using foul language at a bar.

Most of the people who act like this and are proud to show their ignorance are from North east major metro areas, have lots of tats and wear too small tee shirts to show them off.

I've never heard this before. What is the difference where a child sits? Is it a safety issue as the bar chair might be higher than a standard chair or may be a stool and therefore not have a back?

Thanks,

M

Not sure what might be the proper etiquette, but in Texas, it is unlawful for kids to 'sit' at a bar at anytime, with or without adult supervision.