Juneau: Shuttle to AJ Dock

quack2

Can anyone who's been to Juneau this year comment on the shuttle service to/from the AJ Dock? Frequency, drop points, etc.

Nothing has changed. Drop off is the same, at the tram parking lot. Pick up the bus, where it drops you off. By the Twisted Fish/ Taku Smokery.

There are several buses that make continuous loops. Boarding remains the same, from the cruise ship- top of the dock ramp- bear left. Very frequent service.

Edited by Budget Queen

Yes, in my opinion, if you are an able bodied reasonably fit person (or maybe even not), you can certainly walk it. We paid for the shuttle bus for both of us, round trip, and were actually shocked at how close it was. *sigh* Chalk it up to not being familiar with the port area and following all the other passengers. :p I think it was $4.00 each return. We took it one way and then walked back to the ship at the end of our day. It's a slight hill but it is absolutely walkable - 10 minutes at most.

They run continuously, not to worry. They are large coach buses and it looked like they had at least four of them running; when one filled up it drove off and people in line were directed to the next one.

Yes, in my opinion, if you are an able bodied reasonably fit person (or maybe even not), you can certainly walk it. We paid for the shuttle bus for both of us, round trip, and were actually shocked at how close it was. *sigh* Chalk it up to not being familiar with the port area and following all the other passengers. :p I think it was $4.00 each return. We took it one way and then walked back to the ship at the end of our day. It's a slight hill but it is absolutely walkable - 10 minutes at most.

They run continuously, not to worry. They are large coach buses and it looked like they had at least four of them running; when one filled up it drove off and people in line were directed to the next one.

You're not typical- 10 minutes to the AJ dock? Sorry not what I would recommend for most, it's over a mile, and you can no longer take the short cut through the trucking business. The long way around staying on the road. You need to allow at least 20 minutes to get to the tram parking lot. 10 minutes is running/fast jog.

NCL and Carnival (last year) does NOT charge for this shuttle. In the past, Celebrity did.

You sound like you are taking about Skagway?? And using the SMART bus, which does charge. This is of benefit depending on where you are going- especially if the Cemetery or Jewell Garden

Edited by Budget Queen

You sound like you are taking about Skagway??

No, I am talking about Juneau. We took the blue bus out to Mendenhall, were dropped off back in town, walked around, had a drink at the Red Dog Saloon, and walked back to the ship. We found it an easy walk. *shrug* I just looked it up on Google Earth street view and there were lots of people walking back to the ship. OK, it is longer than 10 minutes but as I said, I don't think a reasonably fit person would have trouble with the walk one or even both ways.

My husband and I are senior citizens and I have a bad hip. In Juneau we walked from the ship to a drugstore, walked back, caught the blue bus to the Glacier, returned to the city and walked back to the ship. It is all level and not that difficult, especially if you take your time.

My husband and I are senior citizens and I have a bad hip. In Juneau we walked from the ship to a drugstore, walked back, caught the blue bus to the Glacier, returned to the city and walked back to the ship. It is all level and not that difficult, especially if you take your time.

Were you all the way out at the AJ Dock? From any of the other docks, the walk to town is level and easy. The AJ Dock is much further out and does have a bit of a hill to climb. It is certainly do-able, without mobility issues, but it took us at least 20 minutes.

Reading this thread? Are we all talking about the same dock? I sailed

Solstice last month and the ship was docked the furthest away from

Downtown.......10 minutes?:confused::eek:.....not even close. I walked back to

the ship after my excursion.....(one of the stupidest things I have

ever done:rolleyes:).....it had to be a 30 minute walk and there is definitely

a hill you need to go up.....by the time I got onto the ship? My legs

were burning:eek::(......

I live in Florida where it is FLAT......and no, I am not into exercising~

I should have taken the bus back to the ship.......you live and learn.

The AJ dock in about a mile from the tram and obviously a little further into the downtown area. It certainly not a level walk by any stretch of the imagination but many people get frustrated by the wait for the shuttle and do walk it or just plain want the exercise. Sorry, it's been many years since we tied up there so have no current knowledge of times or frequency of shuttles.

Reading this thread? Are we all talking about the same dock? I sailed

Solstice last month and the ship was docked the furthest away from

Downtown.......10 minutes?:confused::eek:.....not even close. I walked back to

the ship after my excursion.....(one of the stupidest things I have

ever done:rolleyes:).....it had to be a 30 minute walk and there is definitely

a hill you need to go up.....by the time I got onto the ship? My legs

were burning:eek::(......

I live in Florida where it is FLAT......and no, I am not into exercising~

I should have taken the bus back to the ship.......you live and learn.

All kinds of error information above. it's now been admitted it is more than 10 minutes- which it is. It is an up and down hill walk- fact, of the AJ dock. The additional post, would have been likely talking about the South Franklin Dock, since they mention a "pharmacy". this can be a short, 5 minute, walk to the tram parking lot and then to downtown Juneau.

All kinds of error information above. it's now been admitted it is more than 10 minutes- which it is.

Indeed, I did underestimate in my first post but I must take exception to your "All kinds of error information above." comment. That's really just rude. I was just trying to help and I feel like I am being bullied by a school yard kid. Gee. :(

Hi Karen,:) I wasn't trying to bully you (or anyone)...actually my post

was just about my experience.....I honestly didn't mean to upset you.:(

I was really dumb though....I should have taken the shuttle back

to the ship:eek:

Hi Karen,:) I wasn't trying to bully you (or anyone)...actually my post was just about my experience.....I honestly didn't mean to upset you.:( I was really dumb though....I should have taken the shuttle back to the ship:eek:

Not you, Lois. Not to worry my friend. :):)

I do remember you saying you had a difficult time on the walk back. I guess we really don't know how it's going to be until we're right in the middle of it! :p

Indeed, I did underestimate in my first post but I must take exception to your "All kinds of error information above." comment. That's really just rude. I was just trying to help and I feel like I am being bullied by a school yard kid. Gee. :(

Your post gave wrong information and another, was talking about a different dock. It's too bad you can't accept direct information. Hope it makes you feel better labeling. Feel free to ignore my posts.

I strive to give accurate information, all I care about.

Were you all the way out at the AJ Dock? From any of the other docks, the walk to town is level and easy. The AJ Dock is much further out and does have a bit of a hill to climb. It is certainly do-able, without mobility issues, but it took us at least 20 minutes.

I concur (partly because sherryf and I were on the same cruise last year - hi sherryf!).

Pull up maps.google.com, put in 1076 Jacobsen Dr, and look to the left (west) just a bit for a burnt orange roof over a walkway leading out to a dock. That's AJ Dock. Google Maps says it's 1.2 miles and 25 minutes walking from 1076 Jacobsen Dr to the Red Dog Saloon, and that's at the near end of Juneau "downtown".