Calling TO ship

justaims29

I've searched high and low, both here and on Google, but can't find an answer. I saw this on the Princess website:

ImageUploadedByForums1434328298.555956.jpg.391bcc70aa396df8de9308be4c014bb6.jpg

So what's the difference between the 900 # and the credit card call? One thing I did find was that some mobile carriers don't allow 900 # phone calls?

Any info would be appreciated! Trying to make sure the grandparents have all the info they need for while we're gone. :)

On a 900 number the charge goes directly on the phone bill of the caller. The 877 type numbers you get a person or system that requires you to put in a credit card to continue the call. Often the 900 numbers cost a dollar more PER MINUTE. Not sure what the cost would be but I can guarantee you that phone call won't be cheap so don't use it unless it is a real emergency.

Yes, carriers can block the 900 numbers because back in the day these numbers were used for ummmm other type of calls. While those days are long gone the way the numbers are handled (and owned) by telephone companies remain.

Edited by notentirelynormal

$8.95 per minute, beginning once a satellite connection is made. You are charged even if your party does not answer the phone. Using your cell phone might be less expensive.

Thanks guys!! So maybe the best option, should there be an emergency at home, would be to have them leave a vm on my cell and check it in each port. I hadn't thought of that option.

Edited by justaims29

Thanks guys!! So maybe the best option, should there be an emergency at home, would be to have them leave a vm on my cell and check it in each port. I hadn't thought of that option.

Or have them send an e-mail and just check daily on ship's Internet.

Or have them send an e-mail and just check daily on ship's Internet.

That's a good idea, too. I guess I was just thinking more of "must contact right now" situations, and I need to be ok with the fact that this just won't be possible. (This will be the first time we've left the kids for more than 2-3 days) Thanks everyone!

If it is a must contact now situation contact Princess and they can relay a message to the ship. Then the person you need to talk to can call you back and go from there.

I leave my cell on and turn off cell data, that way I can still send and receive calls/texts. I can see if I missed a call. I just can't check voice mail unless I turn cell data back on. As noted text cost .50 to send and nothing to receive.

I have AT&T. If I can't get a cell signal from shore then usually the ships cell service is turned on. It costs $2.49 per minute for voice calls. I incur NO additional charges when I leave my phone in this state.

Just an option. ;)

Also you can text using the ship's cellular system for only 50cents per text sent.

I leave my cell on and turn off cell data, that way I can still send and receive calls/texts. I can see if I missed a call. I just can't check voice mail unless I turn cell data back on. As noted text cost .50 to send and nothing to receive.

I have AT&T. If I can't get a cell signal from shore then usually the ships cell service is turned on. It costs $2.49 per minute for voice calls. I incur NO additional charges when I leave my phone in this state.

Just an option. ;)

Both good options! Thanks!!

If there is a huge emergency, then $9 per minute won't matter. Tell you "contacts" not to call unless there is something you can do about the emergency.

Contacts do need to know your cabin number.

If you are not in your cabin when called, a voice mail message may be left.

And remember, there will be very little you can do on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean.

Yes, very little, but sometimes there is something.

If there is a huge emergency, then $9 per minute won't matter. Tell you "contacts" not to call unless there is something you can do about the emergency.

I think I mentioned before that this will be the first time our kids will have ever been without both parents for more than 3 days. I realize that falls in the "don't worry, they'll be fine" category. But one of our kids is also special needs, so we may have different definitions of what constitutes an emergency.

I do appreciate all of the suggestions. I didn't realize we could receive texts without using internet minutes, so it seems like, if we need to be contacted, they could send a text and then we could phone back from our cabin (it looks like that's a slightly cheaper option than the 900 or credit card calls).

You guys are awesome!! Thanks again!!

I think I mentioned before that this will be the first time our kids will have ever been without both parents for more than 3 days. I realize that falls in the "don't worry, they'll be fine" category. But one of our kids is also special needs, so we may have different definitions of what constitutes an emergency

My DGD is borderline autistic. We are the only other people she has spent the night with other than her parents and she turns 9 this year. I can tell you that the experience with her parents and us are not always the same. For example, my DD says, DGD around 4 at the time, mom don't give her milk when she goes to bed anymore. I told her I hadn't done that since she had bottles. DD gives her a sleeping aid. Tells her mom she can't sleep at my house. I told her I would not give her the sleeping aid. Talked to DGD and said, I'll make you a deal, if you are not asleep in 5 minutes I'll give it to you. Never have. Spent the night at the hotel. DGD asks for sleep medicine. I said NO. Told DGD to tell mom the truth that she could go to sleep. Hmmm, asleep within 5 minutes in a one room hotel room with all of us awake.

Moral of the story - might go way better then you think.

Edited by notentirelynormal

My DGD is borderline autistic. We are the only other people she has spent the night with other than her parents and she turns 9 this year. I can tell you that the experience with her parents and us are not always the same. For example, my DD says, DGD around 4 at the time, mom don't give her milk when she goes to bed anymore. I told her I hadn't done that since she had bottles. DD gives her a sleeping aid. Tells her mom she can't sleep at my house. I told her I would not give her the sleeping aid. Talked to DGD and said, I'll make you a deal, if you are not asleep in 5 minutes I'll give it to you. Never have. Spent the night at the hotel. DGD asks for sleep medicine. I said NO. Told DGD to tell mom the truth that she could go to sleep. Hmmm, asleep within 5 minutes in a one room hotel room with all of us awake.

Moral of the story - might go way better then you think.

Thanks, hopefully you're right. DS is 7 and mid- to high-functioning autistic.