Truth and fiction

Greciangirl

BINGO!!!! I think it's amazing that the same one's that were leaving forever and booking MSC, Carnival and the others, are still here. No comments on the things that are good and still searching for negatives in every new change. Even if it's a positive, i.e. modify the UDP, still nitpicking.

That why after seeing and experiencing a NCL ship in action - I pretty much try to ignore most of the nitpickers' complaints because it mostly unrealistic high expectations and griping due to being favorite pastime. Don't get me wrong there are some legitimate issues on NCL like MDR waitstaff bad service but at least the Maitre'd tries to make it up to people and/or apologize.

Most of the whining can be easily be resolved by doing an alternative such as different restaurant, activities, times, etc. Heck, even a different room, cruise ship or even better, a different cruise line/company if the experience was that 'bad'. Hey, that's what I did with Carnival - I'm not going back there for a couple of years or maybe never. And wasn't technically wasn't completely Carnival fault, just some of their passengers attitudes along with antics was out of line, and I just don't feel like putting up with that for every single meal while on a ship/line that doesn't have alot of different separate places to dine at. But that just me, I'm sure some of the complainers on CC don't mind spending thousands to a line to repeatily experience that on every trip just to have something to whine about.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Some of my funniest or weirdest stories were from cruises, the Good, the bad and the ugly. I even have one cruise I refer to as my version of a titanic cruise. It is what you make of it. If in your life you are always miserable, a happy cruise will not change their human nature. It just doesn't work that way. Me I try to see the lighter things in life and laugh at all the stupidity in the world.

And trust me there really is A LOT to laugh at on here.

Edited by iimmie

I agree with the OP. Reading the reviews of the BA, we were prepared to have an "OK" time on the BA, but weren't expecting to LOVE the ship. We went in knowing that any day at sea was better than a day at work and we wanted to give her a try regardless of the naysayers... I'M SO GLAD WE DID!!! Previously, our favorite cruise by far, un-toppable in my book, was on the Allure of the Seas. Guess what?! We loved our cruise on the BA so much we aren't even going to use our next cruise certificates on RCL (we are gifting them to my dad) just so we can either sail again on BA or try out the Escape. How's that for a complete OPPOSITE experience from the Negative Nellies?

Personally, I think the vast majority of the times the problem doesn't lie with the cruise line, it lies with the passenger. It amazes me to no end that people pay all that money for a vacation and have absolutely NO IDEA what they have purchased. We spent a year planning our last cruise. We knew all the ins and outs of the ship. We knew its faults and planned how to overcome them. We weren't shocked by the smell of smoke or by the crowds by the pool, because we knew they would be there. If people would spend as much time researching pre-cruise as they do complaining and nitpicking post-cruise, they would end up much happier in the long run.... just saying....

ok, my 2 cents worth and it probably isn't worth much more than that: I am considered by most to be a NCL cheerleader; actually that is only partially true: what I am is someone who hates whiners.

A fair review or complaint is not only ok, but often helps people understand issues better and someone venting might make them feel better, but I, like so many on here can't understand how so many people can find fault with so many little issues. It doesn't make any difference which cruise line, it is just a general feeling I have, some people think the world revolves around them and thier wants.

When people gripe about the food and some complaints are understandable I wonder what they really expected. The word inedable cracks me up. How much food is inedible? How about the comment about the rust on the outside of the ship, like on the balcony? For heavens sake the ship spends 365 in the water, no matter how hard the crew tries there is going to be some rust.

I could go on and on, but you get the point. A happy person should be happy just to be able to cruise or vacation period. They should be happy their health allows them to do this and they have enough money to take a vacation. Stop expecting everything to be perfect.

OK, I'll be the oddball here, and won't presume to know the personality makeups of people who post.

When I read reviews I'm looking for all perspectives, not just the positives, so I know what to prepare for or whether to book. Otherwise this site's name becomes a complete misnomer.

Im not looking through rose colored glasses but the reviews that bash the cruise lines because one thing wasnt up to expectations are the ones i dont understand. Just because you saw someone who doesnt dress the way you think they should and the cruiseline didnt "enforce" the rules or because you had to wait in line you will never cruise that ship again or god forbid you missed a port due to weather...constructive criticism is great and we can all learn from it and choose our cruise accordingly. . I just find it unnecessary for some who complain to go overboard with nasty comments!

I see this here as well as other travel related sites I frequent like Tripadvisor and Flyertalk. Happy travel is 90% about properly set expectations. Set them correctly and it will take a lot to seriously disappoint you. I can tell a review/comment is from someone with unreasonable expectations when they write in terms of absolutes. When I read never, always, no one, everyone - I get out the grain of salt. My kids all talked that way when they were teenagers. Some folks just never grow beyond that stage.

I'll read negative posts, but they'd better be specific and related to policy or design issues. No food leaving the buffet, see through bathroom walls - valid criticism. Tough steak, crowded bingo - your bad luck.

I have been on many cruises and many different lines in alot of different ports in the world. Have all cruises been perfect? No! Have i ever had such a bad experience that i would never cruise that ship or line again? NO! SO IT AMAZES me to read the reviews that bash the ships and the people that will never cruise again on that ship. I have a hard time believing those who write those reviews. And the whiners and complainers...i feel those people no matter what vacation they choose are looking for their version of perfection instead of enjoying the experience! I absolutely have my favorite cruises but would never bash another cruise line just because it didnt make my all time favorite. Each cruise has unique features and a variety of passengers so come on cc members can we be a little more positive? Who's with me?

so what exactly did you add to this site except another complaint?