The Eclipse for reluctant cruisers?

MrsT3030

My parents are joining us on holiday in January and we usually cruise. They have never cruised (although they travel a lot) and are very reluctant - I think they think cruising is a bit beneath them to be honest! They don't believe us that it really is a luxury way to travel. They tend to stay in 5 star hotels. To me, cruising is better than a five star hotel!

The Eclipse looks like a good start for a 'luxury' cruise, for them to join us.

Of course, they have the option to stay at home :p but if they choose not to, I would like it to be a good experience for them.

My parents are joining us on holiday in January and we usually cruise. They have never cruised (although they travel a lot) and are very reluctant - I think they think cruising is a bit beneath them to be honest! They don't believe us that it really is a luxury way to travel. They tend to stay in 5 star hotels. To me, cruising is better than a five star hotel!

Of course, they have the option to stay at home :p but if they choose not to, I would like it to be a good experience for them.

I wouldn't bandy about the term "luxury" when talking to them, but it should be a very enjoyable time for all.

I think the only thing you may need to do unless they are in a fancy suite, is prepare them for the size of the room. Most rooms obviously are not like hotel rooms and I know on our first cruise we were a bit surprised, especially since we had our two kids. The rest of the ship I don't know how someone could not enjoy it.

Also, the process of getting on and off the ship are not the same obviously, should stress that you're dealing with customs, immigration, etc.

Edited by dkjretired

We did our first cruise on Eclipse last year and we equally nervous having travelled a lot staying in 5 star and luxury hotels. We loved the Eclipse and are back on it again this summer. Realistically, despite Celebrity's promise of Modern Luxury there is no way that Eclipse measures up to a proper Luxury hotel experience. We were in a Veranda cabin, I'm sure a suite will be be different. In fairness though comparing a land based holiday and a cruise is not comparing apples with apples - we found it to be a completely different sort of holiday to that we've experienced on land.

Having had a quick check there is no suite or AQ availability in January 16. You would need to look at February if you wanted a suite and even then there is not a lot of choice left.

The Eclipse on the 14 night southern Caribbean is a good place to start cruising. We have done that particular one 4 times and have it booked for 2016 and 2017.

I think with that itinerary, they will quickly forget the size of their cabin. Afternoons at al Bacio, some pleasant island tours and maybe even a Persian Garden pass will keep them occupied!

Perhaps your parents should book a suite and then they can eat in Luminae. However, you would have to do that also as you would not be able to eat with them otherwise. We have just gotten off the Eclipse and we had a great time.

You mention,

Question:

Have you sailed with Celebrity on an S-Class ship before?

If not, which line are you comfortable with? This would help in explaining what to expect.

EW

I think the only thing you may need to do unless they are in a fancy suite, is prepare them for the size of the room. Most rooms obviously are not like hotel rooms and I know on our first cruise we were a bit surprised, especially since we had our two kids. The rest of the ship I don't know how someone could not enjoy it.

The OP is from the UK. I have been is some 5* hotels here [especially in London] that would make the standard state rooms on Eclipse seem large.:D

I think that the OP should ensure that her parents are aware that the experience cruising on Eclipse will be different to that in a 5* hotel. There will be aspects of cruising that blows any 5* hotel anywhere in the world out of the water. There will be other aspects where the cruise experience will fall below that expected in a 5* hotel. But, then, experiences in 5* hotels vary considerably.

Of course, with the introduction of the new Suite Class Experience, the OP's parent's experience will depend, to some extent, on what accommodation they have booked.

The OP is from the UK. I have been is some 5* hotels here [especially in London] that would make the standard state rooms on Eclipse seem large.:D

I think that the OP should ensure that her parents are aware that the experience cruising on Eclipse will be different to that in a 5* hotel. There will be aspects of cruising that blows any 5* hotel anywhere in the world out of the water. There will be other aspects where the cruise experience will fall below that expected in a 5* hotel. But, then, experiences in 5* hotels vary considerably.

Of course, with the introduction of the new Suite Class Experience, the OP's parent's experience will depend, to some extent, on what accommodation they have booked.

Agree, have been in Euro and British hotels also.