Have requested Princess Security Investigate this

kruisey

Tried to log in to my Princess Account this morning and it did not recognize me.

This has happened ,as some of of know now and again on this Princess site.

Phoned Princess and found out that my details had been changed to using my Hotmail Account which is the one I give out for non important issues.

All my e-mail correspondence even up to this week has been to my other e-mail address ,nothing from Princess has ever been sent to me via Hotmail.

How did Princess get this Hotmail address?I have never given it to them.

They have changed it back to the regular e-mail address now and it is functioning.

Have requested that Princess Security follow this up and that they get back to me.I give them a payment each month towards my cruise for late 2016 always acknowledged through my regular address.

Edited by kruisey

Tried to log in to my Princess Account this morning and it did not recognize me.

This has happened ,as some of of know now and again on this Princess site.

Phoned Princess and found out that my details had been changed to using my Hotmail Account which is the one I give out for non important issues.

All my e-mail correspondence even up to this week has been to my other e-mail address ,nothing from Princess has ever been sent to me via Hotmail.

How did Princess get this Hotmail address?I have never given it to them.

They have changed it back to the regular e-mail address now and it is functioning.

Have requested that Princess Security follow this up and that they get back to me.I give them a payment each month towards my cruise for late 2016 always acknowledged through my regular address.

Is it possibe that the travel agent changed your e-mail when booking?

This has happened to us three times in the past few years. From our discussions with Princess each time, they attribute it to their IT people but can give no other rationale.

They reset it in a few seconds.

P&J

The contacted Captains Circle .Everything relevant to Princess comes on my regular e mail address.No mention of the Hotmail one.Have left it with them to give me an explanation as to what might have happened because in Captains Circle they have Personal Details:eek: .Will change my Hotmail password yet again. They can give no explanation at yet why this happened

I have two different email address I currently use. I started with one on Princess and decided to use the other one . Did this for both my husband and my accounts. Well, it stays at new one for a while, then when I can't get into personalizer (doesn't suddenly recognize my password or email) I try the old one, and it is back to that one. Happens on a regularly basis (every couple of months), so I have now given up and will use the original one instead.

Just checked both of our personalizers (I usually just go into my husbands since it has all the information on our bookings , saved cruises etc). Mine just changed to the new email account.

Not a security issue, a glitch in Princess system. I don't use Hot mail. I believe mine are more secure email accounts.

Edited by san diego sue

I have two different email address I currently use. I started with one on Princess and decided to use the other one . Did this for both my husband and my accounts. Well, it stays at new one for a while, then when I can't get into personalizer (doesn't suddenly recognize my password or email) I try the old one, and it is back to that one. Happens on a regularly basis (every couple of months), so I have now given up and will use the original one instead.

Just checked both of our personalizers (I usually just go into my husbands since it has all the information on our bookings , saved cruises etc). Mine just changed to the new email account.

Not a security issue, a glitch in Princess system. I don't use Hot mail. I believe mine are more secure email accounts.

That has happened to me several times, too. It seems to have gotten better lately though.

It would be a odd hacker who got into your Hotwire account, guessed you are a princess cruiser, went to princess, hacked into your account there, and changed your email to hotmail. Maybe a family prankster would play such a game, but a hacker?

Maybe some how Princess got that hotmail address and knew it was yours. Maybe via a travel agent? Perhaps a price check with an online agency (one that has your hotmail address as a cookie or login) and got your captains circle number (for past guest discount)? That could have happened years ago. If princess had the alternate address, mysterious swap occurred as noted other by another poster.

Edited by Starry Eyes

There have been quite a few here on CC that this happened to as well as a sweepstakes/entry for Princess that locked many out of their accounts as well. :(

OP, do you have a cruise booked? From what I understand, if you update your information on the booking, it will change your Captain's Circle record. Might you have put your hotmail address there?

Happened to us too. I changed the email address but it kept reverting back. We had several cruises booked and I finally realized that I had changed the email address after they were booked. So I went into the info on each cruise and saw the old email address was showing on some, so changed it to the new address in every booking and haven't had it revert back to the old address since. Just changing it in your CC account won't do it if you have cruises booked using the old address.

Of course, that doesn't explain all glitches with the website. :confused:

Never had the hotmail address for this account.I use that one for Facebook or if I am hosting an event on board give the hotmail one on CC.

Princess has never had my hotmail address and I have never used it on their site.Anything to do with finances I never use hotmail that is only my play account.

I hope Princess will be able to sort this one out.They contacted Captains Circle and the only address they have for my whole account is the regular one.All e-mails and offers from them come through to regular mail,never hotmail.

Have changed my Hotmail password again.

Hotmail is a favorite target for hackers and it lacks a lot of security. Use it AYOR. The idea that IT will trace down the problem is probably next to zero. Sometimes the wrong (read older) backup can be accidentally loaded onto the database at Princess and given what I have seen of their IT I would believe it. My opinion of IT is not good and I suspect they spend as little money as possible on their IT. I have seen it before in other companies and to me it is a false savings.

My opinion of IT is not good and I suspect they spend as little money as possible on their IT. I have seen it before in other companies and to me it is a false savings.

Don't equate the amount of money spent on IT with the quality of the output.

Absolute fortunes can be spent on IT without a quality result. (Think healthcare.gov)

This doesn't sound like the kind of thing a "hacker" would waste time doing. It has no benefit. You would still receive all communication. It would just go to your other account. But, the hacker wouldn't get it.

When explored, this issue is often caused by human error. What sometimes happens is mischief caused by a personal computer's "autofill" technology. When a document, or website, is opened that needs info to be entered, the autofill fills it in. We quickly peruse the page and don't always look closely enough at what info it puts into the spaces. It'll usually pick the correct email address. But, if you have more than one, it's sometimes autofills the one that you don't often use. And then you hit the "send" button and unintentionally update a profile without intending to. It's happened to me. Clearly, I don't know if that's what happened to you ... but it would be an explanation.

The auto chrome I feel could not affect me because payments I always give verbally to Princess over the phone.I just log in to Princess and into their macros.

Have a super secure password now in Hotmail .Do not want to close it because it has been so useful in the past for folks on my cruise to contact me if they wish to be added to the list of an event I have arranged on board.There are those that wish to keep their cabin numbers private,or have Special anniversary's and birthdays that they want to keep private from their other half to celebrate.

Lets hope this situation will permanently be solved now.I have had these two addresses for well over a decade and this is the first time I had a problem.

Most grateful for your input and to find I have not been alone.By the way I am just going to try Logging in this morning.If you hear nothing that's good news:);)

Edited by kruisey

There have been quite a few here on CC that this happened to as well as a sweepstakes/entry for Princess that locked many out of their accounts as well. :(

My wife had this happen as well. She doesn't have a hotmail account so it isn't related to that. She did however enter a Princess contest and this is apparently what triggered the change. I would say the issue was with Princess IT rather than hacking an email account.