Tracy's King Crab Shack Question

jormot

My husband wants to eat at Tracy's but I am not a fan of crab at all. Is there anywhere nearby that I can grab something and we can eat together outside? It does not look like Tracy's has a dining room or anything of the sort. I like seafood, just not crab or lobster.

Tracy’s has a picnic area that is covered to eat on the back side of their facility. They do have alternatives to crab such as shrimp and scallops.

There is also Twisted Fish and The Hangar that have crab as well as other non-seafood dishes. Both get good reviews and are within a 5 minute walk of Tracy’s.

There are a bunch of small food truck/shacks setups like Tracys used to be just down the street. (about 1/2 way between Tracys old and new location) I'm not sure how thrilled Tracys would be bringing in another vendors food and sitting at their tables, but might be OK since your husband will be purchasing from them.

IMO you will get the same crab at a better price away from the dock. Tracey's was more expensive last year than it was to get crab at home, and since it is all frozen anyway we kept on walking.

IMO you will get the same crab at a better price away from the dock. Tracey's was more expensive last year than it was to get crab at home, and since it is all frozen anyway we kept on walking.

Any suggestions on where to go instead? We will also be in Skagway & Ketchikan.

Where then away from the dock can you get better prices :confused:

Not a fan of Twisted Fish...but what about the prices and experience of the Hangar ?

I'm a fan of halibut and picky on my salmon. :) I've picked up some good meals at the Hanger, but also have had good food at the Twisted Fish, the Skagway Brewery, and the fish vendor on the dock in Ketchikan, also- like Burger Queen. :) Yikes, what a list. :)

I'm a fan of halibut and picky on my salmon. :) I've picked up some good meals at the Hanger, but also have had good food at the Twisted Fish, the Skagway Brewery, and the fish vendor on the dock in Ketchikan, also- like Burger Queen. :) Yikes, what a list. :)

Halibut is my favorite also. Of the places you listed, who has the best?

It does not look like Tracy's has a dining room or anything of the sort. I like seafood, just not crab or lobster.
That changed in 2014.... Tracy moved into a large building next door that offers a dining room. If you see a crab shack near the docks.... it's NOT Tracy's any more.

http://kingcrabshack.com/

Here's their menu...

http://kingcrabshack.com/Crab%20Menu%202013%20rev1.pdf

That changed in 2014.... Tracy moved into a large building next door that offers a dining room. If you see a crab shack near the docks.... it's NOT Tracy's any more.

http://kingcrabshack.com/

Here's their menu...

http://kingcrabshack.com/Crab%20Menu%202013%20rev1.pdf

I've been to Tracy's more than once at the old location and the new one....and I wouldn't say she offer's a "dining room" in the sense that other's may think of...more a covered outside dining area...but true nicer and larger an area than the old one..and certainly her gift shop which is in a building is nice including the restroom. We were there in March 2014 when it first opened and they were putting the final touches on her new location. JMHO ;)

Edited by Ashland

Thanks... I know memories plays tricks on this old mind... but I was pretty sure I was inside enjoying my meal last summer.

I would say 50% is inside and 50% seating was outdoors. I like the new building compared to the tents at the old location.

Just ate at Tracy's last week. The majority of dining space consists of shared picnic tables under a tent/canopy. The indoor space is much smaller and shared with their store. My dd and I shared one giant king crab leg, four mini crab cakes, crab bisque, and very tasty bread rolls. It was plenty of food, and delicious. Then we got back on our ship (Crown Princess) and had more crab legs, from Tracy's, for dinner in the MDR!. Life is good!

Just ate at Tracy's last week. The majority of dining space consists of shared picnic tables under a tent/canopy. The indoor space is much smaller and shared with their store. My dd and I shared one giant king crab leg, four mini crab cakes, crab bisque, and very tasty bread rolls. It was plenty of food, and delicious. Then we got back on our ship (Crown Princess) and had more crab legs, from Tracy's, for dinner in the MDR!. Life is good!

Tracy's provided crab legs for the ship :confused:

Tracy's provided crab legs for the ship :confused:

Yes! Part of the Princess Alaska dining is to include food from well known Alaska restaurants or chefs in the main dining room. So for dinner in Juneau, crab legs from Tracy's was on the menu. They were served in smaller sections, i.e. Not a whole large leg, than at Tracy's but we're just as tasty.

Yes! Part of the Princess Alaska dining is to include food from well known Alaska restaurants or chefs in the main dining room. So for dinner in Juneau, crab legs from Tracy's was on the menu. They were served in smaller sections, i.e. Not a whole large leg, than at Tracy's but we're just as tasty.

Interesting....Thanks for answering :)