Royal Princess Southern Caribbean

Hello we are looking to do the 20 day out of FLL next April. We have never cruised on Princess, done HAL and NCL. We prefer the more casual atmosphere, no dressy nights. Just casual or if must - smart casual. What is the Royal Princess dress code, dinners or buffets where casual is acceptable? What restaurants are a good choice for us?

We love doing carry on luggage, easy in and out of the airport.

Any information is appreciated.

CT.

Hello we are looking to do the 20 day out of FLL next April. We have never cruised on Princess, done HAL and NCL. We prefer the more casual atmosphere, no dressy nights. Just casual or if must - smart casual. What is the Royal Princess dress code, dinners or buffets where casual is acceptable? What restaurants are a good choice for us?

CT.

The Royal Princess has three main dining rooms. The Allergo DR, Deck 6 aft is used for traditional early and late seatings, same table, same waiter. The Concerto DR, Deck 6 mid ship, is used for very early traditional fixed seating and at 7:30 becomes Anytime Dining. The Symphony DR opens a 5pm and is used for Anytime Dining. If you sign up at booking for traditional dining you will be assigned to a DR. If you sign for ATD then dine when you wish, but realize that the ATD room fills by about 6pm so it is difficult to get a table if you wish to dine around 7pm. If you like to dine late tables are easy to get. All DR's have the same menu and the same dress code. On the two 10 day b2b's there will be 2 formal nights on each leg and 8 smart casual. Formal nights are for all the MDR's. For men about 25% will be in tux. Most others will be in suit & tie and a few in sport jacket & tie. Most women are in nice dresses or outfits for both formal and smart casual evenings.

The Royal Princess has two surcharge DR's, the Crown Grill steak, chops & seafood and Sabatini's, Italian. These are $25pp. Make reservations once on board. Dress is smart casual every evening, although on formal nights you will find passengers in formal dress.

There is also a Crab Shack and Fondues served in a section of the buffet seating area. These are $20/pp. Dress is casual. Make reservations on board.

Other free dining includes a really great buffet, Horizon Ct., open all the time from early morning until 11pm or midnight. Alfredo's sit down pizza, calzones, salads and other items open from 11am to 11pm. The Trident Grill and Prego Pizza by the pool open 11am to 11pm. Swirls, soft ice cream by the pool, 11am to 11pm. International Cafe open 24/7 serving cont. breakfast items, paninis, salads, soup, desserts. Gelato is available for a small charge on Deck 5 Piazza. The Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar has menu priced items on deck 7.

The Royal has espresso bars in the Piazza next to the International Cafe, outside of Princess Live on deck 7, in the Pastry Shop next to the buffet, and outside on the Horizon Terrace. You can purchase a coffee card for $33 & change which includes punches for 15 espresso drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee. Free coffee & tea is available all the time at the buffet.

Around the ship during the day dress is casual, but you have to have shoes and cover up in in dining areas and areas other than the pool areas. Evening dress for dining is described above. Outside of the dining areas casual dress in the evening is fine.

You may carry on your luggage as long as it fits through the X-Ray scanner, same ones as at the airports.

Can only speak for me

On Princess I think the main thing the maître de is looking for is your dressed presentable. Casual for me is either kakis or nice pair of jeans, collar golf shirt and dress shoes. On a formal night kakis, button up dress shirt top button open no tie and dress shoes.

Enjoy your trip I love the southern Caribbean.

Edited by ppmanusa

CT.

After years of Formal Dress we only pack casual. That is our personal code. We wear slax or Capri pants with nice top and a golf shirt for me. We skip formal night in MDR, and never feel uncomfortable walking around the ship, at this point putting a sports jacket over my golf shirt would be as formal as I would get. We have lots of portraits in our Tux and gowns. Some in suit and tie, nice memories!

Can only speak for me

On Princess I think the main thing the maître de is looking for is your dressed presentable. Casual for me is either kakis or nice pair of jeans, collar golf shirt and dress shoes. On a formal night kakis, button up dress shirt top button open no tie and dress shoes.

Enjoy your trip I love the southern Caribbean.

Dress code will be determined by the waite staff. Last year one of our table mates came on formal night with dress shirt and coat, and was sent back to get a tie. On our last cruise, I think I saw someone in a t-shirt get in. So, ....

We were on the Coral last year- Panama Canal. Our men wore dress shirts, dress pants & shoes and ties (for formal night). Did not bring suit or blazer. The gals wore dresses to dressy capris and fancy tops. We went with the possibility the men might get turned away from the MDR. It wasn't a problem!

As much as I love the black suits & ties and fancy dinner clothes, we are past packing those items. We'll be on the Island Princess in the Mediterranean this year and plan on the same attire. Knowing full well that the Maitre d' could turn us away. I've never heard of anyone going hungry on a cruise ship!:D

Nothing to add to the dress code comments above, but if you are using just carry-on luggage for a 20 day cruise (and I'm impressed!), you might be pleased to note that Princess also has self-service laundry rooms (in addition to the laundry and dry cleaning services).

Only suite passengers are allowed to order items from the dining room menu through room service. Room service for other cabins is available, although the choices are limited. No need to limit yourself to your room (unless you want to): without dressing up, you can dine in the buffet, out on deck at the grill or pizza counter, pick up light items at the International Cafe, or even dine in one of the specialty restaurants (their dress code remains smart casual always, even on formal nights).

Thank you all for your comments. We have decided to pack just as we did for the 14 day NCL Mediterranean, altogether our vacation was 20 days including a few days in Rome and Florence. Sounds like by your comments we will be OK. I did see on their website they have laundry facilities, so that is very helpful :)

CT

I did see on their website they have laundry facilities, so that is very helpful :)

CT

We use the laundry facilities all the time on Princess & miss it on NCL. Have a great cruise!