Ship Tour vs. Private Tour?

Rruchty

This is my 15th cruise but first time to Alaska....and really silly since I live Seattle. I have done both ship excursions and booked my own privately. I am curious to know your thoughts....is it better to book through the cruise for tours such as helicopter and floatplane? or are private tours the way to go. I know I can save a little money doing the private tour, but is there more piece of mind by going through the ship? Thoughts, ideas, and recommendations welcome!

This is my 15th cruise but first time to Alaska....and really silly since I live Seattle. I have done both ship excursions and booked my own privately. I am curious to know your thoughts....is it better to book through the cruise for tours such as helicopter and floatplane? or are private tours the way to go. I know I can save a little money doing the private tour, but is there more piece of mind by going through the ship? Thoughts, ideas, and recommendations welcome!

I am about to go on my first cruise to Alaska as well. When I am going with my large family we sometimes do outside independent tours depending on what we want to do. However, lately I have been doing cruises just me and my sister. As young women we feel much more secure to book everything through the cruise.

For Alaska it is not as risky as when doing hem in the Caribbean but I wouldn't book anything outside of the cruise unless someone you trust has been on the excursion.

The only tour that I say NOT to get on the ship is the Juneau Mt. Roberts tram. If the weather is wet or the cloud is thick.... you may want to wait 15 minutes or skip. The tram is at the docks so you can decide whether to go or not at the very last minute.

I booked ALL of our tours through the cruise line. My line of thinking for taking this approach is that if the tour gets canceled (which may be a high possibility for some we booked) getting refunds (I have prepaid everything) will be easier to do from one source versus several.

This is our first trip to Alaska and I just feel better working through the cruiseline. I understand that I paid a little more but feel the piece of mind is worth it.

I booked ALL of our tours through the cruise line. My line of thinking for taking this approach is that if the tour gets canceled (which may be a high possibility for some we booked) getting refunds (I have prepaid everything) will be easier to do from one source versus several.

This is our first trip to Alaska and I just feel better working through the cruiseline. I understand that I paid a little more but feel the piece of mind is worth it.

100 % agree. Can never know what might interfere with Alaska excursions.

There are some big errors with some of the above assumptions. There is NO issue with getting refunds booked direct, and the vendor canceling the tour. I've had my cancelations credited the same day. :) The ship is NOT running any of your tours- they are the SAME local vendors, you can book independent. Some skewed thinking that is not valid.

It's the US, with high business standards. The well recommended vendors- many on this board, have been well established, offer superb tours, and know what they are doing.

With booking direct- I don't know of ANY vendor who does not refund, if they cancel a tour. Consistent over many many years. Terms and deposits are clearly stated, if you don't understand them- get more information- and don't agree to cancellation policies you can't live with. It's pretty common to see a slam due to someone canceling their tour- then claim they have such a "good reason" for doing so, should be an exception etc etc, then complain about the penalties. Sorry- you should be paying them.

We never do tours thru the cruise lines. For us, they are just basically out to take your money and just do what they have promised. Ourselves, we either go on our own, or book thru well recommended companies who care about those recommendations. These companies live thru these recommendations and usually will go way above what is expected to make sure you have a great time and will recommend them to others.

AND as had been said, any good tour company will refund your money if the tour doesn't go off.

Another fact, usually ships tours have so many people opposed to private tours that usually limit people to a much more manageable size.

Cruise lines make it sound as if, if you don't use their excursions you will be missing things. Just not so.

Cheers

Len

I understand what you are saying. But with this being our first trip to Alaska AND first cruise, I felt more comfortable booking excursions through the cruise line.

I have a real fear of missing the boat ;) and also know that by booking through the cruise line this will not happen. This vacation is a first for us in many aspects and if I worry about things then it makes my trip less enjoyable.

As I have found on this forum...to each...his own. We all must decide what we are comfortable with and go with that.

I understand what you are saying. But with this being our first trip to Alaska AND first cruise, I felt more comfortable booking excursions through the cruise line.

I have a real fear of missing the boat ;) and also know that by booking through the cruise line this will not happen. This vacation is a first for us in many aspects and if I worry about things then it makes my trip less enjoyable.

As I have found on this forum...to each...his own. We all must decide what we are comfortable with and go with that.

I absolutely agree with you. I have been on many cruises but I still worry about missing the boat or there being unforeseen delays. Much better, in my own personal opinion, to book through the cruise. I see no reason not book through the cruise but to each their own.

Have a great time in Alaska !

Nobody cares how people book their tours. Absolutely there is something for everyone.

The point I tried to make were the myths that are deemed to be reasons, which just are not factual reality.

The "security" is what certain people need, which the cruise line provides. Making the right tour selections and doing the tours, is all that matters. How you book is varied. Costs can be measured in many ways.

Have a great trip.

It is certainly easy to understand your concern, with this being your first Alaska cruise.

I can only state that I have been taking Alaska cruises for many years and have never once heard of a single instance where anyone who booked with a private vendor missed the ship due to the vendor getting back late.

Our own experience has been the exact opposite, finding the private tour operators in Alaska to be the most conscientious and reliable about getting their passengers back to the ship on time. They are very aware that their reputation and livelihood depends on it.

Whenever we asked them about it, they described their "just in case" backup plans to us.

On the other hand, we have been on a number of cruises where a ship's own tour was late getting back.

Knowing that the ship would wait for them, they were not concerned.

Our most recent such experience was only a few weeks ago when they delayed the ship's departure at Icy Strait Point because a ship excursion group was late getting back.

All the passengers who had booked private excursions were already long back on the ship.

You are absolutely right to book the way that makes you feel comfortable and gives you peace of mind.

After you have a chance to learn more about Alaska ports and tour vendors, it is possible that you may feel differently for future cruises.

Additionally I will confess that even though we usually book private tours or go off on our own and do our own thing at Alaska ports, we still occasionally book a ship tour, for one reason or another.

If you are planning a whale watch in Juneau,which we did last wednesday,we used Orca enterprises with captain Larry. It was cheaper than the ship ,he will find the whales,their office is right where the shuttle leaves you off. It was no problem and his boat is jet engined to get to where the whales were. They work their tour times in accordance to the ships port times. Also add the Mendenhall glacier part of the tour. It was one of the most beautiful spots we saw. They only drop you off and pick you up but it was very convenient coming off the whale watch. After they pick you up they will drop you either at the shuttle spot downtown or take you directly back to the ship. This day was the best one of our cruise!!

I always reaearch the private tours that are available and sometimes organize my own on the cc roll call.

I compare the private tours to the ship's excursions. Unfortunately, NCL tends to charge more for their excursions than Celebrity.

Still, in looking at our Alaska cruise on the Sun next Sept, it seems that the private tours are modestly cheaper than the NCL excursions.

Here is what I found.

VIATOR

Skagway Shore Excursion: Full-Day Tour of the Yukon

$ 103.95

Spend time in port in Skagway enjoying a full-day shore excursion into the Yukon, Canada's westernmost territory. Explore some of North America's most stunning wilderness, stop for lunch at Caribou Crossing, a wildlife museum, and visit a dog-sled camp, where you can meet the adorable huskies preparing for the Yukon Quest dog sled race. Be prepared to stand in awe of natural beauty of southeast Alaska, British Columbia and the Yukon Territory on this Skagway sightseeing tour.

Upgrade to Dog Sledding Option

Make your time in port complete with the addition of summer dog sledding. You'll be guided by an authentic musher on a thrilling 15-20 minute wheeled training cart along a forested trail, which was once traveled by the Gold Rush stampedes.

All passengers must have a valid passport.

Highlights

Full-day Skagway shore excursion of the Yukon

Fully narrated tour, including local history about the Gold Rush

Traditional Yukon-style lunch included

Browse through exhibits at the Museum of Yukon Natural History

Upgrade your Yukon experience to include the dog sledding experience

Covered by Viator's worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship

Beautiful Lake in the Yukon

Taken in the Yukon, just after clouds lifted

Photo by: Christine D

Australia, Oct 2014

Skagway Shore Excursion: Full-Day Tour of the Yukon

What You Can Expect

When your cruise ship docks in Skagway, begin your adventure by climbing the Klondike Highway north to the US/Canadian border, which parallels the 1898 Gold Rush Trail. Cross into Canada and traverse through the spectacular Northern Boreal Forest, which includes Bove Island, Tutshi Lake and Tagish Lake. After you break for a photo at the Yukon border, you'll travel on to Lake Bennett, see the "World's Smallest Desert" and marvel at gorgeous Emerald Lake.

Stop at the Caribou Crossing Trading Post and Museum where you can relax and enjoy a tasty, satisfying lunch of baked chicken with BBQ sauce, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner rolls, donuts and coffee -- Yukon style! After lunch, visit one of the most spectacular wildlife museums in the North Country. As you stroll through the 9,000-square foot (2743-square meter) museum, you will find the quality of the wildlife exhibits to be truly remarkable. The museum's exhibits range from Ice Age specimens to animals more recently introduced into the Yukon. Also, included are exotic animals from both the arctic and sub-arctic regions of Alaska and the Yukon, as well as from around the world.

Also at Caribou Crossing are the lovable Huskies preparing for the Yukon Quest dog sled race. Pet the dogs and play with puppies, and hear the musher's adventures of dog sledding in the Yukon during the winter! As you journey back to Skagway, keep your eye out for possible wildlife sightings, such as bears, moose, caribou, Dall sheep and mountain goats.

Worry-free Shore Excursion:

We will ensure your timely return back to the ship in Skagway for this activity. If your ship is delayed and you are unable attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.

Skagway Shore Excursion: Bennett Train Journey on the White Pass Rail

$ 243.24

While in port in Skagway, hop aboard a replica vintage Gold Rush-era train for a scenic journey through the great Alaskan and Canadian wilderness. Traveling along the White Pass and Yukon Route Railway – an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark – enjoy beautiful views of mountains, waterfalls, glaciers, rivers and plains on your way to Carcross in Yukon. Stop for lunch at the exclusive Bennett Station House and capture photos of Emerald Lake, and enjoy entertaining commentary from your guide on the way back to Skagway.

Highlights

Round-trip train and bus journey from Skagway to Carcross in Yukon

Ride a replica vintage Gold Rush-era train along the route traveled by the Klondike stampeders

Enjoy views of the remote Alaskan and Canadian wilderness including mountains, plains, rivers and glaciers

Have lunch at the exclusive Bennett Station House, only accessible by train

Visit beautiful Emerald Lake, arguably the most-photographed lake in Yukon!

Juneau Shore Excursion: Whale-Watching Adventure with Mendenhall Glacier Tour

$ 125.00

Make the most of your time in port in Juneau by getting out into the Alaskan wilderness on a small-group whale-watching and Mendenhall Glacier shore excursion. This is your chance to see humpback whales, bald eagles, seals and sea lions on an amazing 4.5-hour cruise in the waters surrounding Juneau. Then, visit the stunning Mendenhall Glacier for an unforgettable tour.

Each boat is fully enclosed and heated with a marine restroom on board; capacity is limited to 50 passengers per boat. The small groups create a great environment for wildlife viewing in this incredible environment. Your captain is specifically trained to follow federal viewing guidelines from a safe distance.

Highlights

Alaskan whale-watching and Mendenhall Glacier adventure from Juneau

Travel through Auke Bay, Favorite Channel, Stephens Passage, or Lynn Canal

Use of binoculars included

Juneau Shore Excursion: Mendenhall Glacier, Whale-Watching Cruise and City Tour

$ 125.00

While in port in Juneau, make the most of your time with this combo tour that includes a city sightseeing tour, whale-watching cruise and Mendenhall Glacier experience. Tour the city by coach to see highlights such as the Red Dog Saloon and the Juneau Capitol Building, and then spot humpback whales and other wildlife on a scenic whale-watching cruise. Top it off with a leisurely outdoor adventure at Mendenhall Glacier, Juneau’s crowning jewel.

Highlights

Enjoy three fantastic Juneau experiences with this Viator Exclusive shore excursion

See top Juneau sites including the historic Red Dog Saloon and Juneau Capitol Building on a sightseeing coach tour

Spot whales and other native wildlife on a 2-hour whale-watching cruise

Enjoy free time to explore Mendenhall Glacier National Park at your own pace

Admire views of Mendenhall Glacier from several perspectives and learn about glacier formation at the visitor's center

Juneau Shore Excursion: City and Mendenhall Glacier Tour with Seafood Lunch or Dinner on Mt Roberts

$94.00

While you’re in port in Juneau, see the area’s top attractions on a sightseeing and nature shore excursion that combines historical landmarks with beautiful natural wonders. First, take a tour through Juneau’s historic district and onto neighboring Douglas Island. Then head to Mendenhall Glacier for free time to walk along paths and see where the glacier meets Mendenhall Lake. Return to Juneau to take the aerial gondola up Mt Roberts to Timberline Bar & Grill, where you’ll enjoy a lunch or dinner of grilled salmon while enjoying views of the city and mountains.

Highlights

Juneau shore excursion including sightseeing, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt Roberts

See Juneau’s historical attractions like St Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church

Enjoy a scenic drive around Douglas Island

Be wowed by the imposing Mendenhall Glacier and beautiful Mendenhall Lake

Ride up Mt Roberts by aerial gondola

Dine on a lunch or dinner of grilled salmon at Timberline Bar & Grill

Choose one of five tour start times to best suit your ship’s schedule

Ketchikan Shore Excursion: Off-Road Adventure Tour

From USD $ 209.00

When you’re in port in Ketchikan, head into the rainforest for an off-roading experience by Tomcar! This Alaska shore excursion allows you to drive a 2-person Tomcar utility vehicle along a 14-mile (22-km) circuit of unpaved mountainous tracks, checking out waterfalls, local wildlife and stunning views of Tongass National Forest, the Inside Passage and Behm Canal. An experienced guide ensures your safety, and round-trip transport from the Ketchikan port is included. This tour is bumpy and may leave you quite dirty, so be prepared for a wild ride.

Highlights

Off-roading shore excursion in the Alaskan rainforest

Drive your 2-person Tomcar utility vehicle along 14 miles of mountainous paths

Keep a lookout for wildlife like eagles and deer, and see waterfalls and other natural features

Admire fabulous views of Tongass National Forest, the Inside Passage and Behm Canal

Round-trip transportation from the Ketchikan port included

Covered by Viator’s worry-free policy: guaranteed on-time return to your ship

==============================================================================

NCL

Juneau

Whale Watching & Wildlife Quest $169* 4 hours

This sightseeing cruise features guaranteed whale watching! Following a short motorcoach ride to scenic Auke Bay, you’ll board a water jet powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing. Relax in the warm, comfortable, spacious main cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced Captain guides you through the island studded waters of Stephens Passage. Against a majestic backdrop of snow-capped peaks and glaciers, the onboard naturalist will explain the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter, including humpback and killer whales, Steller sea lions, Dall’s porpoise, harbor seals, bald eagles, bears and deer.

The operators of this tour guarantee that you'll see a whale. If not, you’ll receive a $100 cash refund as you disembark the vessel. Don’t anticipate a refund; in the past 10+ years, whales have been sighted on every tour! To fully enjoy the sights and sounds of a close encounter with wildlife, be sure to bring a warm, rainproof jacket to wear on the topside observation deck and don’t forget your camera! Day use binoculars and a souvenir wildlife guide and map are provided, along with complimentary snacks and beverages. less

n ***** m

Skagway

White Pass Railway, Klondike Gold Fields & Panning

4¾ hours $189*

Don't miss this golden opportunity to experience the Klondike's rich past on this historical railway and dredge tour. In Skagway, you’ll board the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad. Once aboard your old-fashioned parlor car, you'll retrace the original route through rugged terrain beyond the summit of White Pass and Fraser, British Columbia. You’ll journey down the west side of White Pass Canyon to Skagway via motorcoach. A stop at Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls provide picturesque valley views.

This guided tour complete with colorful characters, provides a unique opportunity to explore a massive gold dredge formerly used in the Klondike Gold Fields. This 350 ton machine is one of over 120 that operated in the north, and today stands as a monument to the gold rush seekers of the past century. You'll have a chance to try your hand at gold panning, with gold guaranteed in every pan! The Gold Shack staff will weigh your gold and fashion a memorable keepsake for purchase. On your return to Skagway, you may either stop for shopping or return directly to the ship.

Best of Skagway & White Pass Railway

6½ hours $229*

If you want to really experience Skagway, this tour will show you the best Skagway has to offer. Ascend the beautiful mountains on the White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad. From your antique narrow-gauge car view incredible scenery, as your tour guide shares stories and the history of the Klondike Gold Rush. In Fraser, British Columbia you’ll board a deluxe motorcoach to travel the spectacular Klondike Highway taking in the sights of Tormented Valley and Pitchfork Falls. At the foot of the pass, nestled next to a waterfall, rests Liarsville Gold Rush Trail Camp and Salmon Bake. Here a cast of sourdoughs and dance hall girls will entertain you with a hilarious melodrama and a poem. You’ll be set free in the Liarsville gold fields, where you are guaranteed to find the precious metal that drove people wild with Gold Fever!

Enjoy a barbeque of freshly grilled Alaskan salmon, baked beans, potatoes, coleslaw, sourdough rolls, coffee, lemonade and hot apple strudel. Wander over to camp to see the waterfall and have your picture taken with one of the dance hall girls or the camp mascot, a lovable husky. The grand finale is a visit to the Red Onion Saloon in historic downtown Skagway. The Red Onions’ madams will throw you a private party in the prestigious Red Onion Brothel. Enjoy Alaskan Amber beer, wine, or Madam's punch as you’re entertained by tales of the girls who used to work in these historic rooms! You’ll see the priceless nickel silver dress worn by the Onion’s first madam and many other artifacts. Embrace the true spirit of 1898 and sign on for an experience of a lifetime.

lt m

Juneau

Mendenhall Glacier & Whale Quest

5¼ hours $189*

Experience Alaska’s premier attractions glaciers and wildlife, from two very different vantage points, by land and by sea. A narrated motorcoach ride takes you to view and photograph the famous Mendenhall Glacier. At the Visitor Center you’ll have the opportunity to talk with Forest Service interpreters, and through interactive exhibits, learn about the awesome force of glacial ice. Back aboard the motorcoach you’ll take the scenic route through the Mendenhall Valley. At Auke Bay you’ll board a water jet powered catamaran specially designed for wildlife viewing. Relax in the warm, comfortable, spacious main cabin, surrounded by large windows as your experienced Captain guides you through the island studded waters of Stephens Passage.

Against a majestic backdrop of snow-capped peaks and glaciers, the onboard naturalist will explain the behavior and habitat of wildlife you may encounter, including humpback and killer whales, sea lions, porpoise, harbor seals, bald eagles and more. The operators of this tour guarantee you will see a whale. If not, you’ll receive a $100 cash refund as you disembark the tour vessel. Binoculars and souvenir route maps are provided along with complimentary snacks and beverages. To fully enjoy this excursion, be sure to bring a warm, rainproof jacket and don’t forget your camera!

Ketchikan, Alaska

Misty Fjords & Wilderness Explorer

4½ hours $199*

Explore Misty Fjords, one of nature’s most spectacular creations while cruising in luxury aboard one of the fastest sightseeing vessels in Alaska. The adventure begins as you leave Ketchikan’s picturesque harbor, passing by colorful fishing boats and floatplanes, in route to a wilderness experience you’ll never forget. Enjoy first class service and an informative naturalist’s presentation and watch for wildlife as you ‘fly’ at sea level past the rugged coastlines bordering Revillagigedo Channel. Enter the Behm Canal, surrounded by the pristine beauty of Misty Fjords. Stop to view a bald eagle’s nest and a Tlingit pictograph. Admire New Eddystone Rock, an immense volcanic spire rising from the sea.

You’ll explore Rudyerd Bay, an ice-carved masterpiece deep within the Monument. Learn the natural history of the fjords while gliding quietly beneath 3,000 foot vertical cliffs. Feel the mist of glistening waterfalls and listen to the call of seabirds nesting on a rock face sculpted by glacial forces. Cruise south from Rudyerd Bay to view a gathering of harbor seals, and enjoy a selection of complimentary snacks and beverages while watching for other species of wildlife that thrive here. En route to Ketchikan, you’ll have the opportunity to experience native culture and history presented by a Tlingit storyteller, watch a native artist at work, or enjoy a tour related video presentation.

Note: Be sure to bring a warm, rainproof jacket to wear on the topside observation deck, as this tour operates in all weather conditions. Wildlife sightings are frequent, but not guaranteed. Wheelchair access may be limited - for details, please consult your Shore Excursion staff before booking

White Pass Railway & Yukon Expedition

8 hours $229*

Skagway

This tour is a 65 mile journey into the Yukon! Climb aboard a deluxe motorcoach and experience the magic and the mystery of the famed Yukon Territory. Your adventure begins on the docks of Skagway, but soon you’ll be climbing the South Klondike Highway to the top of the White Pass 3,292 feet above sea level. Majestic peaks, waterfalls, and glaciers can all be experienced and enjoyed on this incredible drive. Leaving the White Pass and the USA behind, you’ll enter Canada and the unspoiled and untamed beauty of the Yukon Territory. Marvel at the chain of lakes that form the headwaters of the Yukon River, explore the rustic town of Caribou Crossing “Carcross”, snap a quick photo of the world’s smallest desert and enjoy the tales of the Klondike Gold rush provided by your guide throughout your journey.

A stop at the Caribou Crossing Trading Post is an opportunity to satisfy your wilderness appetite with a delicious chicken barbecue lunch complete with all-you-can-eat homemade donuts. After your meal, tour the Yukon's most extensive Wildlife Museum and then on to the Dog Musher’s Village where you can visit with Iditarod dog mushers and take pictures with the sled dogs and husky puppies or, for an extra fee, join them for a dog cart ride with the actual Iditarod and Yukon Quest dogs. Kids and adults alike will also enjoy the petting farm. Once back at Fraser, British Columbia, you’ll board the White Pass and Yukon Route Railroad for a truly unforgettable ride on this historic and breathtaking narrow gauge railroad.

White Pass Rail & Gold Fever Adventure

5¼ hours $199*

Ride the rails in style, revisit the gold rush era, and experience the life of a prospector on this fun-filled family tour. In the comfort of your parlor car, a costumed escort “from 1898” will entertain you with stories of gold prospecting. The train follows the same route that thousands of prospectors trotted on foot in search of gold. Historical narration is provided by the White Pass & Yukon railroad crew as you witness the breathtaking panorama.

Transfer to a motorcoach for a short drive to the Klondike Gold Fields and be immersed in the wild history of the Klondike Gold Rush. The dredge master will acquaint you with the gold dredge, a 350 ton gold sifting machine brought back from the Klondike. Learn the art of gold panning and practice your technique in heated water. After you’ve hit pay dirt, weigh your fortune in the Gold Shack. Enjoy browsing in the Gold Parlor where you can shop for gifts and souvenirs. You can also watch a film about gold dredging or Alaska's Northern Lights. Food and drink is available for purchase at the Gold Rush Restaurant & Brewery.

Note: For your convenience, a shuttle bus runs continuously back to the ship so that you can stay as long as you like.

Rainforest Island Adventure

4 hours $139*

Ketchikan

A rainforest walk with a twist, your adventure starts aboard a motorized inflatable Seahawk, for the short but exciting cruise along the coast of Clover Passage. Along the way, you may have the opportunity to observe whales, Steller sea lions, harbor seals, bald eagles and migrating seabirds. Landing at a secluded beach, you’ll follow your guide through the ancient Tongass National Forest, home to a diverse cross section of animals including bears, eagles, wolves and trumpeter swans.

You’ll see Western Red Cedars and Alaskan Yellow Cedars that early Natives depended on for spiritual enrichment, shelter and transportation. The well-maintained trail is mostly boardwalk and about one mile in length. You'll also enjoy an interactive beach life interpretation by your naturalist guide. After hiking the historic route, enjoy an Alaskan-style snack, before returning to Ketchikan.

Note: Participants must weigh at least 40 lbs. and be in moderate to good physical condition. This trail has a gradual slope and is well maintained. Pregnant women in their 3rd trimester are not permitted. Life jacket and rain gear tops and bottoms are provided. Wear warm, comfortable clothing and walking shoes. Bring your camera and binoculars. Restroom facilities are limited. This tour operates under a Special Use Permit issued by the US Forest Service

Lighthouse, Totems & Eagles Excursion

3 hours $99*

Ketchikan

Your excursion begins as you board your motorcoach for a scenic, narrated drive through Ketchikan to Air Marine Harbor. This tour has earned the "Tour Guide of the Year" award for each each of the past 10 years. It features guaranteed abundant eagles, 10 eagles nests, Totem Bight State Park, Vallenar Rocks Wildlife Viewing Area and historic Guard Island Lighthouse. Enjoy wildlife viewing with binoculars provided to you including: Eagles, Harbor seals, Pigeon Guillemots, moon jellyfish, whales, deer, blue heron and a variety of sea birds, all seen through the entire season. Enjoy the heated main cabin or outdoor observation decks.

You’ll cruise past historic Ward Cove Cannery and circumnavigate the Guard Island Lighthouse established in 1901. No other excursion offers this itinerary, nor offers a view of Totem Bight State Park from the water. You’ll view the Totem Bight clan house totem poles, including Ketchikan's tallest totem pole. Your Captain will unravel historic mysteries of Alaska's Danger Island and you'll circumnavigate or have clear view of a total of 12 islands on your tour route. Many of these islands are inhabited only by Alaska's wildlife. Enjoy complimentary “Hot Chocolate Supreme”, coffee, tea, water, soft drinks as well as salmon spread, cheese, crackers, fresh fruit, cookies and mints.

Totem Bight State Park & Ketchikan Highlights

2½ hours $59*

Begin your journey with a scenic drive along the Tongass Narrows en route to Totem Bight State Park, home to one of the world’s largest stand of totems. Immerse yourself in the beauty of the Tongass National Rainforest as you stroll under the canopy of majestic hemlock and cedar trees. Through lively stories and narrative, you’ll learn about the culture and lifestyle practiced by the Northwest Coastal Natives. You’ll also have an opportunity to enter a traditional Native clan house to see how they lived first hand. Prior to departing the park, you’ll have a chance to photograph a magnificent collection of totem poles located in a picturesque setting.

During a brief stop at the quaint Alaska Totem Trading store, you’ll have an opportunity to shop and view beautifully carved totems along with a collection of vintage automobiles and guns. While travelling back to the pier, you will be engaged with an entertaining city tour and learn of the industries which built Ketchikan and helped to make it the “Salmon Capital of the World”. You may opt to disembark at Ketchikan’s historic red-light district, Creek Street, or return to your ship. Order of tour may vary.

Nature Sanctuary, Eagle Center & Totems Ketchikan

2¾ hours $99*

This eco-exploration includes a guided nature hike, a Native totem carver, raptor center and a historic sawmill at an exclusive reserve located in the forested mountains at rustic Herring Cove. This pristine natural environment is home to bald eagles, black bear, seals and a variety of birds and other species attracted by the major salmon runs in the abundant marine estuary. A naturalist will guide you along a trail through the heart of the dense forest, among tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar, stopping at strategically located viewing areas.

At a protected, open estuary, you’ll follow Eagle Creek along an elevated wooden boardwalk overlooking grassy wetlands. Major runs of salmon return to spawn here. Listen to the symphony of bird activity in this spectacular setting. Seasonal ecosystem changes result in varying levels of wildlife activity. After a mile trail walk you'll have a chance to see the historic Herring Bay Lumber Company sawmill, visit birds of prey up-close at the Alaska Wildlife Foundation’s Raptor Center, and observe a master Native totem pole carver at work. Snacks and beverages are provided and shopping opportunities await in the general store.

Note: Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed. Tour operates in all weather conditions. Rain ponchos provided. Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm clothing.

MORE ON Vancouver

http://www.viator.com/vancouver-tours/d616-ttd?pref=204&aid=m2413

Vancouver City Sightseeing Tour $ 62.90 4 hrs

See all of Vancouver's most popular sites on this 4-hour sightseeing tour. Visit Stanley Park, Chinatown, Gastown, Granville Park and more, and learn about the places you see from your guide. This is a great way for first-time visitors and those short on time to get a great overview of the city.

Highlights

Vancouver sightseeing tour

Visit Vancouver's most famous sites including Gastown, Chinatown, Stanley Park and Granville Island

Learn about Vancouver's history, architecture and culture from your guide

Soak up 360-degree views of Vancouver from atop Harbor Center Tower

Hotel pickup and drop-off included

Leave the city of Vancouver behind and enjoy a full-day small-group tour to the famous resort town of Whistler! You'll journey past huge mountains, see the third-tallest waterfall in British Columbia, and have ample free time to sample the exciting year-round activities offered in Whistler Village. Scheduled tour stops include Squamish, Whistler Village, Shannon Falls and the new Aboriginal Cultural Centre and Museum.

With a maximum group size of 24 passengers led by a friendly and knowledgeable guide, you are ensured of a personal and intimate experience on this memorable day trip from Vancouver.

Whistler Small Group Day Trip from Vancouver $ 116.57

Highlights

Vancouver to Whistler full-day tour

Small group ensure personal experience

Visit Whistler Village, home of the 2010 Olympic Games

Keen to travel to Whistler in style? Check out the Vancouver to Whistler by Train tour!

See Shannon Falls, the third-tallest waterfall in Canada

Enjoy a wide range of possible add-on activities

Hotel pickup and drop-off included

Following pickup from your hotel, you'll travel by mini-coach to Whistler through the scenic Sea-to-Sky corridor. Along the way, you'll enjoy spectacular views from the peaks of the Tantalus mountains to the depths of the canyon of the Cheakmus River.

Next, drive up to 2,000 feet (609 meters) above sea level to reach stunning Whistler Valley. Here there are a number of activities to add to your itinerary available at an additional cost, including the record-breaking Peak 2 Peak gondola, zip-line adventure, snowmobile tour, ATV 4-wheeler tour, bear viewing and more.

Those feeling less adventurous can experience the charm of Whistler Village, the hosted venue of the 2010 Winter Olympics. You may browse quaint shops, walk along forest trails or simply enjoy the mountain scenery. Or why not take advantage of your free admission ticket to the new Aboriginal Cultural Center and Museum?

On your journey home you will have the opportunity to stop at Shannon Falls, the third-highest waterfall in Canada. Take a walk to the base for some great photos of this natural wonder or step back and admire the power and beauty of the cascading waters before continuing your scenic journey back to Vancouver.

I've completed planning our excursions for next May. I've mixed it - doing some ship and some private excursions. Unlike Caribbean cruises it seems to me that in Alaska - the private tours are only marginally cheaper than the ships excursions. So with minor savings - if it makes a person feel better to schedule through the ship - then do it.

I often book with private agencies but look at the cruise line offerings also. We used both types in Alaska last summer. A little warning about the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau; go early in the day or take the ship's tour. The tram malfunctioned and a family from our cruise missed the ship. They watched us sail away while they were stuck in the air!

I often book with private agencies but look at the cruise line offerings also. We used both types in Alaska last summer. A little warning about the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau; go early in the day or take the ship's tour. The tram malfunctioned and a family from our cruise missed the ship. They watched us sail away while they were stuck in the air!

Exactly what I'm afraid of booking independent tours. ;)

Exactly what I'm afraid of booking independent tours. ;)

With this tram "reference". This would have happened to ANYBODY no matter HOW they booked. The ship purchased ticket- is OPEN- and your ticket is for ALL DAY. It is NOT known how they purchased.

Your slant on "take the ship's tour" is completely inaccurate in this case. There is NO time for the tram- it is a 6 minute ride, purchased with an OPEN ticket, no matter how you book it. You ride it whenever you want, including multiple times.

Unless you knew these people- your assumption they weren't on a "ship tour" is something you do not know.

We have already booked our excursions for our 10 day Pearl cruise next year and they are all with private vendors. We book private vendors because we prefer the much smaller groups (our whale watching excursion boat takes 6 people). I have no desire to be jostling for deck space along with 50 other people while trying to spot whales...

There is no 100% of anything, since nobody can predict the future. Mishaps can and do happen. You can miss a ship- no matter how you book tours etc. Guess what- unless you are dead (has happened and another issue) so what? There will be an alternative solution, you won't have to move to Alaska, and not be able to get home. :)

For those with these concerns- consider traveling more- this probably will lessen, based on previous experiences and successes. :) Think and plan out solutions for your concerns- dig a little into what is available, flight options, lodging etc. Sometimes, knowing "extra" information is beneficial.

As I always say- there are all kinds of travelers. Knowing your comfort level, and making your plans based on those, are what is going to offer you some great experiences.

Would the ship wait if you didn't come back given that they know you booked something like in the tour example? I am not familiar with procedures regarding excursions coming back late.

Cruise ships, will wait, up to a certain amount of time, for late- SHIP contracted, booked excursions. But, again, not 100% always. However, your transportation would be arranged for you.

Any independent touring- you are on your own. (which can be an issue they can't handle, for some).

I'm with budget queen on this one. I just got back from my Alaska cruise yesterday. I did a helicopter glacier landing in Juneau and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in Skagway. Both were booked independently, well in advance, yet both vendors were the same ones that provided the ship's excursions. I watched the price go up, quite a lot, over nine months, for both independent and ship's tour booking. Knowing that they were responsible, reputable vendors was all the peace of mind needed. As for the Mt. Roberts tram, a malfunction could happen regardless of how your ticket was purchased. We just walked up and bought a ticket directly, but didn't cut it too close to departure time. I never hesitate to book independently if I have vetted the tour provider. In Alaska, being part of the US, I have even greater confidence in known, reputable, independent providers.