Which one? Navigator Canary Islands vs Jewel Greece

Which would you choose?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Navigator 10 nt Canary Island plus London
    • Jewel 7 nt Greece plus Italy

Please help my family make a good decision!

Want to take my 18 year old on special 2016 graduation cruise that we haven't done.

Considering between:

Navigator 10 night Canary Island cruise: departing London-ish to 3 Canary Island ports, Vigo Spain and Funchal, Madeira, Portugal.

or

Jewel 7 night Greek cruise: deparing Rome-ish to Santorini, Mykonos, Athens-ish, Olympia-ish

additional pros:

Navigator--- We have never been to any of those ports and can spend couple of days in London (she's never been there). Plus 10 night cruise, love longer cruise time.

Jewel--- We have never been to Greece and can spend additional time in Italy, she's seen some big sights, but always more to enjoy.

Please also express any international travel fear that you feel is relevant.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Interesting the vote is 7 to 8... pretty split.

I wondered about Greece and their struggles effecting tourism. I don't want to push our luck! But did like that itinerary.

I know nothing about the Canary Islands... other than loving that name! :)

So if you have additional thoughts please keep sharing!

This is an easy choice...specifically for your daughter...NOS and pre-cruise in London...just make sure you have time to take her shopping at the Camden Market in Camden Town :D

I might avoid Greece for a while - it's financial situation is making for some less than safe tourist situations.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I read several articles yesterday about the increasing unrest and it was enough to make my decision for what RC cruise to take next summer assuming I decide in that direction easy. Assuming I decide on the cruise thing, I'm doing the Italian Med cruise on Brilliance (with overnight in Venice) as opposed to the Med cruise on the Brilliance that included Greece.

I'm not sure where you live but we chose the Canary Islands because when I looked at the cost to fly to England, I want to do a longer cruise plus spend some time visiting London and the South Hampton area.

If you choose Canary Islands, we may see you on the ship.

Good luck with your decision!

I have zero interest in the Canaries but loved our Greek island cruise and can't wait to return in April. Their current situation has no bearing on our decision.

Their current situation will definitely affect you if as predicted ATMs all shut down, people lose access to their money, and things are forced to close - along with the likely ensuing unrest among the people. I don't care how beautiful something is, my safety trumps that. Sorry.

Their current situation will definitely affect you if as predicted ATMs all shut down, people lose access to their money, and things are forced to close - along with the likely ensuing unrest among the people. I don't care how beautiful something is, my safety trumps that. Sorry.

Most travel experts disagree with you. Athens I would be more concerned, but places such as Santorini, Mykonos that rely on Tourism for their income, I have no worries. I've never used an ATM in Greece so don't anticipate it for this trip. And as I said...It will have no impact on OUR decision. Your opinion may be very different and you're welcome to it.

Most travel experts disagree with you. Athens I would be more concerned, but places such as Santorini, Mykonos that rely on Tourism for their income, I have no worries. I've never used an ATM in Greece so don't anticipate it for this trip. And as I said...It will have no impact on OUR decision. Your opinion may be very different and you're welcome to it.

I'm going by the warnings that were put out THIS WEEK.

I'm going by the warnings that were put out THIS WEEK.

I'm reading about the Greek situation on a daily basis. It is no more dangerous than a lot of other places that cruises take you to. Do you think the poverty level is below some of the Caribbean islands cruises stop at on a daily basis?

Here's one article from two days ago and there are numerous on UK news sites

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/travel/greece-crisis-vacation-time-to-cancel/

Edited by Cruise Junky

I'm reading about the Greek situation on a daily basis. It is no more dangerous than a lot of other places that cruises take you to. Do you think the poverty level is below some of the Caribbean islands cruises stop at on a daily basis?

Here's one article from two days ago and there are numerous on UK news sites

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/23/travel/greece-crisis-vacation-time-to-cancel/

I'm not concerned about the poverty level as much as the potential for rioting when the people have no access to their money.

But that's just me.

Plus every cruise I've seen that goes to Greece includes Turkey and I have zero desire to go there.

As you said, everyone has their own preferences.

The Greece situation is becoming more difficult day by day. I wouldn't worry about riots, by the time you are talking about cruising all that sort of stuff will all be over. What you should be concerned about is the situation with their currency and banks. At the moment they are still in the Euro but the next few weeks will determine if they still use the Euro or have to resort back to the Drachma. If that happens the economic situation will be very bad and goods will be scarce and very expensive. If they stay in the Euro then they will have to accept the EU austerity measures, one of which will be a large rise in sales tax, so again prices will rise. Over here in the UK tourists are being advised to take cash rather then debit or credit cards and currently the banks in Greece are closed and ATM withdrawals limited to 60 euros a day.

My vote would be Canary Islands which we have been to a lot and are going some more this Year on P&Os Britannia and next on NOS.

Hope this helps a little.

Peter and Jenny