Seeking guidance re NCL Breakaway

NJ Fred

My wife and I are 66 years of age. We have 70 cruises to our experience ranging from 7-day voyages to 27-days. Our favorite lines, in order of preference, are Princess, Celebrity and Holland America. We were recently soured on Royal Caribbean after a 12-day cruise whereon we came to embrace the negativity we read about RC's cutbacks aplenty.

We are booked in a mini-suite for the November 1 sailing on Breakaway out of Manhattan. Got an acceptable fare and love that we have a mere 90 minute drive to/from the port and no airplanes.

I am not asking for a comparison of cruise lines. Rather, I seek guidance as to the genre of what we can expect on this vessel.

We are far from being old fogies. Nonetheless, we do fancy a few nooks-and-crannies where we can escape the hustle-and-bustle and share a drink while listening to a piano player, etc.

Neither of us are fussy eaters. Nor do we validate flash frozen food that is defrosted and represented as gourmet creations. We understand the lack of structured dining on NCL and it is somewhat appealing - - unless it is chaotic.

I respectfully seek candid opinion and advice. We adore just relaxing. We understand this is a very large ship and are interested if a portion of it will afford the escape we seek whenever we cruise.

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Smooth sailing to all!

This particular sailing will have over 1000 children, as it coincides with NJEA teachers convention. I strongly suggest that you purchase Spa Passes, and maybe try to score Vibe passes, as well. Maybe plan on dining in the specialty restaurants (they really don't cost that much, and the UDP is a good deal if you plan on dining in them most nights).

NCL is the line we love to cruise, and we've sailed this week three times with our children (they only miss 2 days of school, and we live close to NYC). Many folks just seem surprised to find so many kids on board (and in the hot tubs - lol).

I've been on 7 Princess cruises & 4 NCL. I like them both. There are plenty of quiet places on the BA. I really like freestyle and casual dressing. I have to wear a white shirt & tie everyday to work. Just go with an open mind and you'll have a great time.

Ship has tons of nooks and crannies that are quiet. That should not be an issue unless you want to be by the pool which may be an issue if there are 1000 kids booked on this voyage. I would encourage you to buy the ultimate dining plan and to eat in specialty restaurants for all 7 nights. I think you'll find this closer to Princess (which I have sailed)

We are Platinum members with NCL with this line being our go-to cruise line. We like the freedom of dining where we want, when we want, with whom we choose and and choice of what we want to wear. We too are the same age range.

Having said that we did not care for Breakaway at all. We went the first week of December and it was very crowded everywhere, lines everywhere, dirty tables and lots of kids and families. There are a lot of venues to sit as a couple but as a foursome, it was difficult to get seats in a bar with the big huge club chairs. We really enjoyed 'Howl at the Moon-dueling pianos' but the venue's too small and they had wooden chairs lined up in tight rows... huh? The center atrium was very crowded and this ship does not have a Spinnaker type lounge as other NCL ships. The cirque type show was good but it costs $39 per person, sit at long Vegas style tables and try to eat while the show is performing; not worth the money. The meals were just OK unless you pay extra in the specialty restaurants where they were good. The larger dining room was really noisy with music and dancing during dinner. We were even disappointed with the buffet which we totally enjoyed on previous NCL cruises. Mini-suites are a little larger than a normal balcony cabin.

Having said all that, don't get me wrong, we had a good time and will continue to cruise with NCL but on the Gem/Pearl/Jewel ships, which we prefer the layout, evening venues, shows, buffet areas and dining rooms. We enjoyed our last-minute Carnival cruise the year before more than Breakaway. Lately we are cruising with RCI and enjoying ourselves with a more organized cruise line.

NJ Fred

You are gonna love Breakaway.

For quiet spaces try the Waterfront on deck 8. Big wicker chairs are amazing

The library is also a chill spot.

See you onboard as we are on the same cruise as you :)

Safe sailing.

~Robin

NJ Fred

You are gonna love Breakaway.

For quiet spaces try the Waterfront on deck 8. Big wicker chairs are amazing

The library is also a chill spot.

See you onboard as we are on the same cruise as you :)

Safe sailing.

~Robin

I completely agree with this! Breakaway is a wonderful ship with lots of places to go to relax. Enjoy your vacation.

This particular sailing will have over 1000 children, as it coincides with NJEA teachers convention. I strongly suggest that you purchase Spa Passes, and maybe try to score Vibe passes, as well. Maybe plan on dining in the specialty restaurants (they really don't cost that much, and the UDP is a good deal if you plan on dining in them most nights).

NCL is the line we love to cruise, and we've sailed this week three times with our children (they only miss 2 days of school, and we live close to NYC). Many folks just seem surprised to find so many kids on board (and in the hot tubs - lol).

How do you know how many children will be onboard?

1000 kids?!?! We'll also be on this cruise because I'm a NJ teacher and it was an awesome deal worth taking a few days off for. I'll have my 5 and 3 year old with me. Will they be able to get into the kids club? Will they be able to use the other kid activities or will lines be out of control? I'm a little worried about the supervision in the kids club too with that many kids.

How do you know how many children will be onboard?

Because historically that's a very busy week cruising out of NYC. I'm basing it on sailing that week, and annual reports here on CC, my kids were able to use the kids clubs (the first night was a bit if a nightmare signing in - took about an hour), but they didn't have limits then. Think of it like Christmas or Easter break. Flying out if NYC airports that week is crazy expensive (especially Newark), but for some reason the local cruises haven't caught on.

It's really not bad if you are mentally prepared (which most folks wouldn't be, since it's a slower week everywhere else in the country).

Because historically that's a very busy week cruising out of NYC. I'm basing it on sailing that week, and annual reports here on CC, my kids were able to use the kids clubs (the first night was a bit if a nightmare signing in - took about an hour), but they didn't have limits then. Think of it like Christmas or Easter break. Flying out if NYC airports that week is crazy expensive (especially Newark), but for some reason the local cruises haven't caught on.

It's really not bad if you are mentally prepared (which most folks wouldn't be, since it's a slower week everywhere else in the country).

What about the following week? :confused: That's when I'm on the Breakaway. :p:p

What about the following week? :confused: That's when I'm on the Breakaway. :p:p

I would expect that to be significantly less. Most of the NJ families will have already had most of the previous week off (so less likely to take additional days off) and many other families will be waiting for Thanksgiving break.

My wife and I are 66 years of age. We have 70 cruises to our experience ranging from 7-day voyages to 27-days. Our favorite lines, in order of preference, are Princess, Celebrity and Holland America. We were recently soured on Royal Caribbean after a 12-day cruise whereon we came to embrace the negativity we read about RC's cutbacks aplenty.

We are booked in a mini-suite for the November 1 sailing on Breakaway out of Manhattan. Got an acceptable fare and love that we have a mere 90 minute drive to/from the port and no airplanes.

I am not asking for a comparison of cruise lines. Rather, I seek guidance as to the genre of what we can expect on this vessel.

We are far from being old fogies. Nonetheless, we do fancy a few nooks-and-crannies where we can escape the hustle-and-bustle and share a drink while listening to a piano player, etc.

Neither of us are fussy eaters. Nor do we validate flash frozen food that is defrosted and represented as gourmet creations. We understand the lack of structured dining on NCL and it is somewhat appealing - - unless it is chaotic.

I respectfully seek candid opinion and advice. We adore just relaxing. We understand this is a very large ship and are interested if a portion of it will afford the escape we seek whenever we cruise.

Many thanks for your help in this matter.

Smooth sailing to all!

Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. If you are looking for quiet and relaxing, I'm not sure the Breakaway is right for you and definitely not that week.

The Breakaway certainly has spots that you can find quiet and relaxing but that is not really the overall vibe of the ship.

I am booked on the same trip and I was on the Breakaway this past year during the same week. I loved it and my family loved it but my general instinct tells me you would enjoy the Gem much more.

Since you asked for opinions I'll give you mine. If you are looking for quiet and relaxing, I'm not sure the Breakaway is right for you and definitely not that week.

The Breakaway certainly has spots that you can find quiet and relaxing but that is not really the overall vibe of the ship.

I am booked on the same trip and I was on the Breakaway this past year during the same week. I loved it and my family loved it but my general instinct tells me you would enjoy the Gem much more.

Since you were on it last year - for those of us traveling without kids - how much of an "issue" was it - especially for dinner and shows? Is there an adult pool?

Since you were on it last year - for those of us traveling without kids - how much of an "issue" was it - especially for dinner and shows? Is there an adult pool?

There is an adult pool, but it was packed - more room in the kids pool. When we sailed 2 years ago, we never had to wait for a table in the MDR's, and we are a family of 7. They didn't take reservations back then, though. O'Sheehans always seemed busy. We had reservation all for the shows.

1000 kids?!?! We'll also be on this cruise because I'm a NJ teacher and it was an awesome deal worth taking a few days off for. I'll have my 5 and 3 year old with me. Will they be able to get into the kids club? Will they be able to use the other kid activities or will lines be out of control? I'm a little worried about the supervision in the kids club too with that many kids.

Isn't the reason that the school's close so that teachers can attend the NJEA convention, take CEU sessions and increase their competencies?

The main pool is adults only but very small for the number of passengers. There is the H2O area that is adults only, we only used it once and it can get crowded.

I recommend reservations for the big shows but we did see burn the floor a second time without reservations.

For dinner we pretty much ate in Manhattan Club every night and never waited more than a few minutes without reservations.

For everyone talking about the large amount of kids. Can't the couple just go to the spice h2o where kids aren't allowed?

The best way to avoid kids is to be in The Haven, go to Spice or H2O. At dinner, the best way to avoid kids is to go to specialty restaurants such as Moderno, Cagney's, Ocean Blue and Le Bistro (make reservations online BEFORE the cruise.) The best way to avoid kids on deck is to go to The Waterfront. The best way to relax onboard is to go to the spa which has limited access and no one under 18 is permitted so it's never crowded. The most uncrowded pool is The Haven pool or the thalisotherapy pool in the spa.

We are Platinum members with NCL with this line being our go-to cruise line. We like the freedom of dining where we want, when we want, with whom we choose and and choice of what we want to wear. We too are the same age range.

Having said that we did not care for Breakaway at all. We went the first week of December and it was very crowded everywhere, lines everywhere, dirty tables and lots of kids and families. There are a lot of venues to sit as a couple but as a foursome, it was difficult to get seats in a bar with the big huge club chairs. We really enjoyed 'Howl at the Moon-dueling pianos' but the venue's too small and they had wooden chairs lined up in tight rows... huh? The center atrium was very crowded and this ship does not have a Spinnaker type lounge as other NCL ships. The cirque type show was good but it costs $39 per person, sit at long Vegas style tables and try to eat while the show is performing; not worth the money. The meals were just OK unless you pay extra in the specialty restaurants where they were good. The larger dining room was really noisy with music and dancing during dinner. We were even disappointed with the buffet which we totally enjoyed on previous NCL cruises. Mini-suites are a little larger than a normal balcony cabin.

Having said all that, don't get me wrong, we had a good time and will continue to cruise with NCL but on the Gem/Pearl/Jewel ships, which we prefer the layout, evening venues, shows, buffet areas and dining rooms. We enjoyed our last-minute Carnival cruise the year before more than Breakaway. Lately we are cruising with RCI and enjoying ourselves with a more organized cruise line.

Do not try the Quantum! The most disorganized cruise at sea IMO. Sorry Op to respond to this post off topic. We are also first timers on the Breakaway and are looking foward to the Haven in August

Do not try the Quantum! The most disorganized cruise at sea IMO. Sorry Op to respond to this post off topic. We are also first timers on the Breakaway and are looking foward to the Haven in August

Sorry about the diversion, but I've been following Quantum/Anthem since we were supposed to go April 2015 and booked Anthem for 2016. We had to cancel right before final payment due to family issues, but our friends went anyway. As a couple, they had a good time but not their all time favorite cruise (1st time RCI cruisers). They loved the shows though. We're hoping the kinks with this all new model will be resolved by next year. We also have Dynamic Dining 'Classic' reserved with our group of 7 which should help.

Breakaway: yes, the Haven would be excellent, but we can't afford the rates. For those not in the Haven, the Waterfront is fantastic for daytime quiet and the chairs are so comfy. They also offered a small buffet lunch in the steakhouse right on the same deck. It was supposed to be for suite and platinum level guests (which we are) but they were not checking cards... shhhh. H2O was very crowded and no shade, it's totally in the sun, so it didn't work for us. My friends went June '1st week' 2014 and then with us Dec. '1st week' 2014, and they said it was totally different; much more crowded and disorganized on the Dec. cruise. What amazed us too, was all the kids taken out of school the week after Thanksgiving. We saw many doing their homework at the end of the week...lol.

OP, I don't want to scare you but if you take into account the advice here, you will have a good time. Check into the shows and restaurants that need reservations and with planning, it will work out fine.

Have a good time! We haven't been on a cruise we didn't like, we just have our favorites. That's why we're here on cruise critic, to get and give advice.

Sorry about the diversion, but I've been following Quantum/Anthem since we were supposed to go April 2015 and booked Anthem for 2016. We had to cancel right before final payment due to family issues, but our friends went anyway. As a couple, they had a good time but not their all time favorite cruise (1st time RCI cruisers). They loved the shows though. We're hoping the kinks with this all new model will be resolved by next year. We also have Dynamic Dining 'Classic' reserved with our group of 7 which should help.

Breakaway: yes, the Haven would be excellent, but we can't afford the rates. For those not in the Haven, the Waterfront is fantastic for daytime quiet and the chairs are so comfy. They also offered a small buffet lunch in the steakhouse right on the same deck. It was supposed to be for suite and platinum level guests (which we are) but they were not checking cards... shhhh. H2O was very crowded and no shade, it's totally in the sun, so it didn't work for us. My friends went June '1st week' 2014 and then with us Dec. '1st week' 2014, and they said it was totally different; much more crowded and disorganized on the Dec. cruise. What amazed us too, was all the kids taken out of school the week after Thanksgiving. We saw many doing their homework at the end of the week...lol.

OP, I don't want to scare you but if you take into account the advice here, you will have a good time. Check into the shows and restaurants that need reservations and with planning, it will work out fine.

Have a good time! We haven't been on a cruise we didn't like, we just have our favorites. That's why we're here on cruise critic, to get and give advice.

The lunch in Moderno (opposite side of Cagney's Steak House) is not only for Haven and Platinum guests - that's why they weren't checking cards. The Breakaway has a dedicated Haven Restaurant in the haven itself for Haven Suite guests. All suites on the BA are Haven suites.

Edited by peg013

The lunch in Moderno (opposite side of Cagney's Steak House) is not only for Haven and Platinum guests - that's why they weren't checking cards. The Breakaway has a dedicated Haven Restaurant in the haven itself for Haven Suite guests. All suites on the BA are Haven suites.

Not to be too negative- the Quantum did have some wonderful technology and we were also in a suite- which allowed us to enjoy many special perks and avoid the crowds- We cancelled our March Anthem cruise and will wait a little longer to hear what people have to say. I am also looking forward to the NCL Breakaway and have heard great things about Vibe, the entertainment and the food options- sounds wonderful for kids also and those young and heart!

I agree that we have our favorites and a bad day on a cruise is much better then a good day at work, LOL