Sunscreen advice

I went on a cruise in 2010 for my honeymoon, and now going for our 5th wedding anniversary cruise in september. My biggest regret of my 1st cruise was not applying enough sunscreen and spending a few days burnt, and in pain... So looking for some tips so i can not waste any days being a lobster this time arround. DOes a base tan really help?? is there a better sunscreen brand/type? how often to apply? how high spf really? I just want to get it right this time.

this question sounds foolish as i type it out, but i really thought i did enough last time, but still ended up all burnt.

This link to the American Academy of Dermatologists website will tell you what you need to know about buying sunscreen and applying sunscreen so that it effective. (Note: If you aren't sure how much 1 oz of sunscreen is--the amount you should apply--think of it being the same as one jigger of liquor.)

Also, I don't think you'll find any dermatologist who recommends "base tans". Tans are not good for your skin.

https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/health-and-beauty/general-skin-care/sun-protection/how-to-apply-sunscreen

Brand doesn't matter. The SPF does. You need to apply 1 oz (a shot glass full) per adult, starting 30 mins. BEFORE you go in the sun...this is important...it takes that long to form the sunscreen shield!!! Then, reapply every 2 hours. Anything over 30 SPF is not worth the added cost, as the increase in protection is little to none.

Even sunscreen that says waterproof or sweat proof is NOT TOWELPROOF!!! If you dry off after swimming, you are taking away most of your protection. So, reapply then, too! As you can see, you will need plenty of sunscreen!

The Caribbean sun is MUCH, MUCH stronger than you're used to...so follow the above directions, and you shouldn't be a cooked lobster this time!!!!

Edited by cb at sea

Some things depend on your skin type, but I would recommend everyone use it. I burn pretty easily. My advise would be to use a waterproof 50 SPF, make sure you get all exposed parts, and reapply every hour. Don't just use it when you are going by the pool. I put some on before leaving the cabin, even if just going on deck for a little while to walk around or get food. Even when it is cloudy, you can still get burnt. I use Coppertone Water Babies.

There are many types of SPF clothing available, tee shirts, long sleeved, etc. These can even be worn in the water.

Sun screen should be high SPF plus oil free or biodegradable. Regular sun tan lotions are usually oil based and can harm reefs and fish.

A hat and polarized UV sun glasses will help protect your head, face and eyes.

My dermatologist recommended heliocare. It is a supplement in pill form. She told me it helps sunscreen work better. I bought it at Walgreens but haven't used it yet. I will be using it on my upcoming cruise in september.

Brand doesn't matter. The SPF does. You need to apply 1 oz (a shot glass full) per adult, starting 30 mins. BEFORE you go in the sun...this is important...it takes that long to form the sunscreen shield!!! Then, reapply every 2 hours. Anything over 30 SPF is not worth the added cost, as the increase in protection is little to none.

Even sunscreen that says waterproof or sweat proof is NOT TOWELPROOF!!! If you dry off after swimming, you are taking away most of your protection. So, reapply then, too! As you can see, you will need plenty of sunscreen!

The Caribbean sun is MUCH, MUCH stronger than you're used to...so follow the above directions, and you shouldn't be a cooked lobster this time!!!!

What CB said and don't bother with the spray sunscreens! Sunscreen must be rubbed in, the spray is not effective to ensure full and even coverage.

My sister bought that stuff and I kept telling her, you're not getting even, full coverage, due to the wind, how close/far away you are from each body part, etc. Not only did the can run out basically in one day, but they were all blotchy ... burned in some areas, not in others. LOL she went out that night bought the aloe to soothe the burns and a bottle of cream 30 SPF!

ps. Don't forget your feet, ears (behind them if you have your hair up in a ponytail) and a hat if you're not going to be in shade, your head/part is vulnerable and you don't want to be sick on vacation if you can take a few steps to avoid it!

Edited by aztekpm

What CB said and don't bother with the spray sunscreens! Sunscreen must be rubbed in, the spray is not effective to ensure full and even coverage.

My sister bought that stuff and I kept telling her, you're not getting even, full coverage, due to the wind, how close/far away you are from each body part, etc. Not only did the can run out basically in one day, but they were all blotchy ... burned in some areas, not in others. LOL she went out that night bought the aloe to soothe the burns and a bottle of cream 30 SPF!

ps. Don't forget your feet, ears (behind them if you have your hair up in a ponytail) and a hat if you're not going to be in shade, your head/part is vulnerable and you don't want to be sick on vacation if you can take a few steps to avoid it!

Really good advice about not using spray and remembering your ears! I used to use the spray stuff for my kids until a day on Half Moon Cay. For our MN sun, the spray stuff was sufficient but not in the Caribbean! My youngest ended up with sunburn on e back of his shins. I think a big problem with the spray is that you really can't tell how much you are using.

Make sure you have Solarcaine with you. It comes in an aerosol spray and is very soothing. (And very expensive in the gift shop!)

One more thing, OP. Alcohol dehydrates you and makes it easier to get a sunburn, so watch your bar bill.;)

Edited by momof3cruisers
Forgot something.

On Consumer Reports' recommendation, I bought Walmart's Equate brand 50 spf lotion. It not only works really well, it goes a LONG way. It takes more time to apply, but it works and doesn't turn clothing that touches it yellow.

We used it on our eastern Caribbean cruise and for a week at the beach.

I would definitely buy a high spf ( like a 50). I know "they" say it makes no difference but ask any fair skinned person and they'll tell you otherwise. I think a key to applying is doing it 30 minutes before. also a base tan does help you not to burn- just know that tanning is also damaging your skin if that makes a difference to you. I still try to get a small base because I feel that getting a base and not getting fried outweighs the negatives of not having a base.

Another thing to look at is do you want a chemical or physical sunscreen. I have melasma so it was recommended that I use a high spf physical sunscreen on my face. I like the Cotz brand of physical sunscreen. Slightly tinted and doesn't break me out.

We use blue lizard. I believe its for sensitive skin, hypoallergenic, & chemical free. When I researched it years ago, it has highly rated. I still by it for my kids, it's about $17 for 5 oz online. It's hard to find in stores nowadays. Good luck.

Really good advice about not using spray and remembering your ears! I used to use the spray stuff for my kids until a day on Half Moon Cay. For our MN sun, the spray stuff was sufficient but not in the Caribbean! My youngest ended up with sunburn on e back of his shins. I think a big problem with the spray is that you really can't tell how much you are using.

Make sure you have Solarcaine with you. It comes in an aerosol spray and is very soothing. (And very expensive in the gift shop!)

One more thing, OP. Alcohol dehydrates you and makes it easier to get a sunburn, so watch your bar bill.;)

I prefer the clear spray type, but I don't spray it directy on (way too much waste, and wherever the overspray goes really gums up the surfaces). I spray it into my hand and rub it in from there. I just like the texture and the feel of the clear sprays better than the heavy lotions, which tend to be stickier and smellier (although all sunscreen is that to some degree).

I wish someone made a non-spray clear sunscreen but I haven't found it yet.

I have vitiligo, a common skin condition where splotches of skin have zero pigment (the skin's natural sun protection). So I burn very quickly if I don't apply sunscreen. I wear a lot of lighweight long sleeve shirts on cruises (so I don't have to apply as much sunscreen), although if it's really hot I just have to go with short sleeves and lather up. A hat is imperative.

For someone with normal skin, I'd agree that SPF 30 is OK enough (unless you plan on baking for 6 hours of direct sun). For fairer skin, the higher the better (SPF 50 or 70).

Edited by dbsb3233

Another thing to look at is do you want a chemical or physical sunscreen. I have melasma so it was recommended that I use a high spf physical sunscreen on my face. I like the Cotz brand of physical sunscreen. Slightly tinted and doesn't break me out.

Good point. After YEARS of itchiness, scratching and rashes, it was recently determined that I'm allergic to the chemical sunscreen. At first they thought it was the propellants in the spray variety, but I switched back to the lotion and still had the same problems. Currently on the hunt for a good physical sunscreen before we cruise in August. They seem very expensive compared to "regular" sunscreens, but I'm willing to bite the bullet.

So, OP, test out your sunscreen on a small area before committing to take it with you!

I grew up in Florida, on the white sandy beaches that are similar to those found in the Caribbean. The absolute best sunscreen I have ever used is the No-Ad brand, SPF 50. I am WHITE (my husband often jokes that I am so white I shine and he would never lose me in a dark room :rolleyes:) and I don't burn at all when I use it. For example, we went out on a boat once and my cousin was using it, but got too much on her hands. She was just goofing off and wiped it on the back of my leg. I had used something else. I wore a white handprint for about a week afterwards. It's also cheap! I also use Ocean Potion After Sun Care Lotion and Ocean Potion Aloe with Lidocane, which I refrigerate.

I've tried Colorescience Sunforgettable powder too. I loved the idea of being able to apply a powder instead of a lotion. But I've had mixed results with it. And it's quite expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorescience-Sunforgettable-SPF-23-TAN/dp/B000WOVIC8/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1434921181&sr=8-9&keywords=sunforgettable

But it is a nice "backup plan" to carry with me. If I find myself out in the sun when I didn't expect to be (thus didn't lather up that morning), I can just brush on some of this powder and at least it provides some protection.

We use blue lizard. I believe its for sensitive skin, hypoallergenic, & chemical free. When I researched it years ago, it has highly rated. I still by it for my kids, it's about $17 for 5 oz online. It's hard to find in stores nowadays. Good luck.

Blue Lizard.

Check them out. Very good sunscreen. Back before the FDA put limits on what products can claim (for instance, no product in the USA can call itself waterproof...only water resistant; and products have to choose between two different times for reapplying/for effectiveness, etc.)...Blue Lizard (made in Australian) was bound to Australian regulations which were much more strict than the US. They claimed to be waterproof and good for up to 4 hours.

DH has red hair...I am fair...and DS is our son. ;)

We started using Blue Lizard over 10 years ago...it's a great product.

I do prefer physical sunscreens to chemical sunscreens.

It IS a mess to put on. It's creamy and you have to rub it in.

But it works.

ALSO. Must recommend wearing a rashguard. There are several fun styles now. Back in the day, they were very hard to find...but now they are all over. We've been using them since DS was born (he's 14 now) and they truly are a skin saver.

I am fair skinned. I am just back, unburned, from six sunny days on Florida's gulf coast. Two keys to my success: cover the most and sunscreen the rest. After years of sunburning my shoulders on the first day of vacation every summer, I adopted very conservative swim attire. I wear capri length swim shorts from UV Skinz. On top I wear a tee style rash guard with a bra underneath for support. (My favorite is from Lands End.) I favor darker colors, having learned the hard way some lighter ones show through when wet. All that needs sunscreen is face, ears, neck, forearms, and lower legs. Others say use a shot glass of sunscreen for the whole body. I use that much just on these few areas. What worked for me was Coppertone Waterbabies 50. It goes on a little thick and white, but better it white than me red.

Vicki

When I watch someone using a spray sun screen, I see lots of mist going into the air and not on the skin. What a waste.

I need both UVA and UVB protection (most have only UVA protection), and my dermatologist recommends LaRoche Posay Anthelios with Helix. They have a smaller one for face only and also for body.

It is more expensive than many, but you can get it at CVS or maybe Walgreens (I think CVS!) and it's like 30.00 a tube.

But it is what I have to use and I don't burn when using it.

this: http://www.laroche-posay.us/tryanthelios

I also wear a hat (even in ocean) and I have recently starting wearing a long sleeve rash guard with SPF coverage. (land's end, which someone recommended above).

i am 45 now, so it's ON. I look younger than most my age and am fair skinned and burn easily, so its time for me to take it seriously.

And thanks to the poster who mentioned the SPF shorts.

Edited by spleenstomper