Get rid of The Compass?

Same thing with the "messages" they leave on the interactive TV. They are all advertisements, and I've gotten to the point of not paying attention to them anymore.

I agree with most of the opinions - have a one-page compass so we can use a highlighter to mark events of interest and have the port agent's contact information in case of an emergency in port.

Also I wish they'd do away with the promotions that seem to light up our phone several times a day. I know it's my fault, but we have given the ship's phone number to our kids in case of emergency, and every time I see the message light on, I worry until I hear the beginning of their sales pitch. Then I hang up!

We do enjoy those "how we built this ship" documentaries. I wish there were more of those or similar shows and that they were listed in the Compass with the starting time.

We've been cruising since 1979, and we believe the TV gets worse and worse, as we get older and often spend the late evenings in our cabin. We would appreciate more choices.

As we say though, "This is a first world problem," and it's certainly not going to keep us from cruising - just booked three more this week, because we were down to two future cruises.

Margy

Just a little constructive criticism.

is it just me, or does it seem like the Compass could really be trimmed down or eliminated?

Just thinking with the interactive TV's and what not, there are better ways to disseminate information.

OK, I will say it. You cannot drag the interactive TV in the bathroom in the morning. Hey, it is where us guys do our best thinking. :)

It is a morning ritual for me on a cruise. (did I actually just post that? :eek::eek::eek:)

There is a TON of paper wasted in my cabin alone. Multiply that times a couple thousand every cruise, and it really adds up.

Who else wouldn't mind seeing a "paper-free" cruise?

Cut down trees, plant more trees, grow trees, cut down trees, plant more trees etc. etc. etc.

Trees are a renewable resource. Paper can be recycled as well.

So put me down as against a paper-free cruise. :)

We need a paper compass with the port authority information clearly printed. Also restaurant times as well

And one more thing: bar hours! They used to be in the Compass years ago, but then they removed them and say to either check your stateroom TV (only ever seen it there once) or a sign near guest services (again, only seen one once). I refuse to go on a scavenger hunt to find an open bar, so over the years they've lost revenue from me they could've easily had if they'd only print the bar hours again.

I like the compass, please keep it in the exact same form. Trying to read it on a 6" cell screen would be difficult.

Those inserts are paid for by the concessionaires/vendors onboard. Good chance RCI makes a profit on those ads!

How about a 3-4 page Master Compass upon Embarkment with all of the daily activities listed. Then, each night they give out a 1 page Port-Highlight or Sea-Day Special for the following day. Cut down on the paper significantly. Obviously with extras at the CS desk for those of us that leave them at the Schooner bar...;) There is enough opportunity in the Public Areas to showcase any Sales or Spa-Specials on Boards or Signage.

This is brilliant! Not only less paper but you could also that that the activity you would like to do on Day 2 but which conflicts with another activity you'd like to do will be repeated on Day 6 so you can make an informed choice.

On a Celebrity ship we once asked our waiter if he knew what time the next day's brunch was scheduled. He whipped out a neat little miniaturized version of their version of the Compass. I thought it was very handy and would love to have a similar one to carry around.

I've had some less-than-perfect interactions with RC's internet. I don't know how comfortable I would be relying on an electronic communication for important information. "No the ship departed at 3:30, not 4:30."

I feel like maybe they could say what they need to get across in the first days compass about safety and all that and then tone the others down. I would love if they would do one master compass at the beginning of the cruise but I don't think we'll be seeing that any time soon.

Also, I wish they would stop with all the sales 'junk mail' in my cabin. It's not helping you sell knick-knacks it's just wasting paper.

I agree with most of the opinions - have a one-page compass so we can use a highlighter to mark events of interest and have the port agent's contact information in case of an emergency in port.

Also I wish they'd do away with the promotions that seem to light up our phone several times a day. I know it's my fault, but we have given the ship's phone number to our kids in case of emergency, and every time I see the message light on, I worry until I hear the beginning of their sales pitch. Then I hang up!

We do enjoy those "how we built this ship" documentaries. I wish there were more of those or similar shows and that they were listed in the Compass with the starting time.

We've been cruising since 1979, and we believe the TV gets worse and worse, as we get older and often spend the late evenings in our cabin. We would appreciate more choices.

As we say though, "This is a first world problem," and it's certainly not going to keep us from cruising - just booked three more this week, because we were down to two future cruises.

Margy

Just a little constructive criticism.

Sorry about this post. I tried to edit it, but somehow the editting didn't take. I wasn't responding just to Bob, but to others who talked about this from various perspectives.

Also I tried to take the last line out - as soon as I wrote it, I decided it wasn't a good idea.

Margy

Who else wouldn't mind seeing a "paper-free" cruise?

My vote is to:

a. Keep the basic Compass but as an option for those that don't want or cannot use an App version; and,

b. Put all adverts formerly Compass inserts on Stateroom TV and Apps.

Paper free is not possible for some who will or cannot get into technology for leisure. I have friends who use computers 100% of the time for business including during cruises and do not want to do technology when not working.

Options are best at this time until the Collective takes over ;)

I'll protest if they ever take it away. DH, DD and I all have a different colored highlighter to see what we want to do individually and then a different color for things we all want to do together. Obviously we never follow it but it's just a family tradition.

All I need is the daily schedule. Unfortunately, that is all RCCL can get rid of as the rest of the paper adds are all paid for by local merchants who will never give up printing the adds.

An electronic schedule would be nice as it could be 100% accurate. But it would have to be an app to be mobile and lots of people abandon their phones when they are on the ship or especially at the swimming pool. So paper needs to available as an option.

Don't be fooled by any "Save the Waves" campaign. It is nothing more than a word spin on "Save our profits". They claim to be wanting to save the planet by reducing the level of service they provide to you but the real motive is to cut back and increase profits. The "Save the Waves" campaign is for suckers. The waves are fine. Its your money they want.

The last thing I want to see on a ship is all the passengers walking around with eyes glued to their smartphone screens because the ship went "paperless." It would be exactly like being on land! :mad:

Keep the Compass activities and amenities schedule, ditch all the advertising. Run ads on a dedicated TV channel so those who are interested can watch.

I did use my iPad on my last NCL cruise to check menus to decide where to eat, but not to make reservations, simply because I didn't want to be bothered.

I cruise to get away from gadgets and would give up cruising if it meant I'd have to rely on gadgets more than I do at home, just to know what's going on around me.

The last thing I want to see on a ship is all the passengers walking around with eyes glued to their smartphone screens because the ship went "paperless." It would be exactly like being on land! :mad:

Keep the Compass activities and amenities schedule, ditch all the advertising. Run ads on a dedicated TV channel so those who are interested can watch.

I did use my iPad on my last NCL cruise to check menus to decide where to eat, but not to make reservations, simply because I didn't want to be bothered.

I cruise to get away from gadgets and would give up cruising if it meant I'd have to rely on gadgets more than I do at home, just to know what's going on around me.

Do people walk around all day with there eyes glued to pamphlets or sheets of paper? Is it better that way? If people don't do that now, why do you presume they would have their eyes glued to smartphones?

I vacation to get away from schedules and if the individual delivering this schedule to me wants to maximize efficiency they can simply drop it straight in the waste can, I have no use for it.

I love my compass. I love taking it home as a souvenir. That's one paper I can't miss :D

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Same here. I have mine in my scrapbooks from every cruise I've been on.

It's my routine to read the one for the next day in bed before going to sleep.

I don't take it with me off the ship, but I do take a photo of the port agent info so I'll have that with me on my camera or cell phone, just in case.

Like dailies and do tear them up to carry the daily schedule. We like the convince, like sitting at a bar or in a lounge and deciding what we will do next if not already decided. Like the kiosks, but without paper dailies, might not be able to get to one as easy as it is now.

Why don't they get rid of production shows and provide some 'for fee' shows. :)

I like the Compass! Not only do I carry it with me on the ship, I also carry it with me off the ship so in case something goes wrong, I have the ship's agent's contact information.

Something I don't think the lines stress enough is always take the agent's contact details with you. They can be your best friend if something goes wrong. I've never needed it but have met people who did.

It's worse when it's misplaced and you need additional copies to know what to do for the next activity.

On DCL, you can get the daily activities on your mobile device with their wifi.

I am NOT carrying a phone with me all day on a cruise. I will miss an activity before I lug and keep track of that thing all day.