when do you need add extra tip ? ?

These would be stowaways, who did not pay the fare?

No, these would be people who race to the purser's desk

upon boarding, even before they drop their hand baggage,

to cancel tips.

I'm pretty sure this is why they have staggered boarding in

some ports -- to prevent huge lines at the purser's desk...

NEVER the tip of 11-50$ pppn is already too much with 15% on all drinks why or why should you want to tip more.

I guess this is going top be another one of those threads. :rolleyes: We always leave the autotip on and DH always gives the drink servers a little extra. He especially likes to be generous to the servers in PES lounge since they end up being such a pleasant part of our cruise. However, there is no requirement to tip extra.

NEVER the tip of 11-50$ pppn is already too much with 15% on all drinks why or why should you want to tip more.

I guess you meant to type $11.50 instead of 11-50$ otherwise, unless things have changed drastically since last October, you're way off base! The last time I looked, the range was $11.50-$12 on Princess ships. Of course there is always the possibility that you have gone in and changed the amount of your autotip, but I doubt that.

Tom

This may seem like a silly question but as I'm Australian and we don't usually tip (so not used to it ) what is the best way to give a tip to say your cabin steward or waiter? I always leave the auto tipping in place but I like to give extra for excellent service.

This may seem like a silly question but as I'm Australian and we don't usually tip (so not used to it ) what is the best way to give a tip to say your cabin steward or waiter? I always leave the auto tipping in place but I like to give extra for excellent service.

Either bring some small envelopes with you or go down to the Passenger Services desk and get enough to cover your needs and put your tips in the envelopes and seal them. Don't be surprised if you give a tip to someone other than your steward and they ask you for your cabin number. The envelope with the name of the person who received the tip are turned in to a specified person and your onboard records are checked to see if you've turned off the auto-tip function. If it has not been turned off then the tip is given back to the recipient. If it has been turned off then it is placed into the "pool" that all share. This was discussed fairly heavily in a thread a couple of months ago on CC. (This also explained why when my wife and I provided such a tip to our dining room waiter, that after he thanked us very nicely, he asked for our cabin number and wrote it on the envelope. :confused:)

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Grab an envelope or just hand them the cash. ;)

I'm an Aussie too and know how you feel.

DW usually takes a couple of small thank you cards, and puts it in with them along with a note of thanks. That's for Waiter and Steward at the bar just leave t on the bar like you might at a pub at home.

We also make sure we give special mention in the survey to anyone who has given us great service.

I'm an Aussie too and know how you feel.

DW usually takes a couple of small thank you cards, and puts it in with them along with a note of thanks. That's for Waiter and Steward at the bar just leave t on the bar like you might at a pub at home.

We also make sure we give special mention in the survey to anyone who has given us great service.

Great idea about the TY cards. ;)

I brought a small envelope for the cash but made sure I personally gave it to the steward and thanked him also. For our 5 day trip we gave $50.

While my girl was young enough to use the kids' program, we would give her an envelope to give to the staff.

Besides leaving on the auto-tips (which makes life on the last day of the cruise soooo much easier than in the old days of playing "stuff the envelope"), we may consider some cash plus filling out "consummate host" cards for each crew member that helped make our vacation special.

They can use all the compliments they can get for sure.

I always try to get names for surveys and when someone makes my cruise even more special I try to make sure I mention it to their supervisor. Something simple like:

"Gee Jeffrey has been great, I guess he won't be an assistant waiter for long"

Can go a long way towards promotion and/or better stations.

BTW last cruise Jeffrey was fantastic really went out of his way.

This thread reminds me to bring a collection of one dollar bills for room service (in any number) which is one place I do tip extra. Also will tip room staff extra IF the service is above and beyond what I expect. And I do not expect too much. Othewise we leave it to the Princess decision. If someone goes outof their way to offer service we will also tip them directly at the time.

I know one crew member [who I knew before they joined ships] hangs his in his station so his supervisors see them.

I found some really cute small cards recently. Ideal for cruising. They came in a a box of 24 or 30.

Even when I just use an envelope I write a short thank you message on the front of it.

Either bring some small envelopes with you or go down to the Passenger Services desk and get enough to cover your needs and put your tips in the envelopes and seal them. Don't be surprised if you give a tip to someone other than your steward and they ask you for your cabin number. The envelope with the name of the person who received the tip are turned in to a specified person and your onboard records are checked to see if you've turned off the auto-tip function. If it has not been turned off then the tip is given back to the recipient. If it has been turned off then it is placed into the "pool" that all share. This was discussed fairly heavily in a thread a couple of months ago on CC. (This also explained why when my wife and I provided such a tip to our dining room waiter, that after he thanked us very nicely, he asked for our cabin number and wrote it on the envelope. :confused:)

Tom

THANK YOU! A very clear explanation. I'm sailing in Australian waters-Coastal cruise between 2 State Capitals. I've already noted to keep a record of who helps me and leave a little "something"" for them at the end of the cruise, rather than fumbling round with my purse, possibly in a crowded restaurant and delaying the line. I get enough dirty looks from some ignorant people for being slow with my Rollator-I just think to myself, "Your turn will come chump." Mean of me, but I've always been disabled, never known good mobility, and when I'm trying to be quick, it's annoying when someone is judgemental. I certainly will do the post-cruise survey and let Princess know about the people who helped me, naming each one with the details of their help, even if it's just holding a door for me, it's still valuable assistance and DESERVES IMHO to be acknowledged!

I'll have a look in the local Office Supplies store for some small plain envelopes to use and bring them with me. My $1 is a coin in the Australian currency not a note, would that matter? The cruise is in the middle of the Australian season, so using the local currency is easier. The original cruise was just before the Golden Princess returned to LA, so I had planned to get US $1 bills. Princess gave me plenty of notice of the change, and I'm better off with warmer weather, an extra day to try more things, and some On Board Credit, so I'm happy! Yes, the Countdown's longer, but I might have completely missed out on my first cruise!

Crochetcruise :cool:

THANK YOU!

I certainly will do the post-cruise survey and let Princess know about the people who helped me, naming each one with the details of their help, even if it's just holding a door for me, it's still valuable assistance and DESERVES IMHO to be acknowledged!

I'll have a look in the local Office Supplies store for some small plain envelopes to use and bring them with me. My $1 is a coin in the Australian currency not a note, would that matter?

You're quite welcome. Glad that you found the explanation useful.

It never hurts to put an employee's name in front of the "chain of command" as it's called in the military, for doing their job well. Never can tell when that might be the tipping point for a promotion, transfer, etc.

If the person receiving the Australian currency is in a position to go ashore at a port in Australia, I would think that would be great as it might enable him/her to purchase something without going through any currency exchange procedures thereby saving them some $$$. Never can tell, the recipient might be a coin collector! ;)

Tom

THANK YOU! A very clear explanation. I'm sailing in Australian waters-Coastal cruise between 2 State Capitals. I've already noted to keep a record of who helps me and leave a little "something"" for them at the end of the cruise, rather than fumbling round with my purse, possibly in a crowded restaurant and delaying the line. I get enough dirty looks from some ignorant people for being slow with my Rollator-I just think to myself, "Your turn will come chump." Mean of me, but I've always been disabled, never known good mobility, and when I'm trying to be quick, it's annoying when someone is judgemental. I certainly will do the post-cruise survey and let Princess know about the people who helped me, naming each one with the details of their help, even if it's just holding a door for me, it's still valuable assistance and DESERVES IMHO to be acknowledged!

I'll have a look in the local Office Supplies store for some small plain envelopes to use and bring them with me. My $1 is a coin in the Australian currency not a note, would that matter? The cruise is in the middle of the Australian season, so using the local currency is easier. The original cruise was just before the Golden Princess returned to LA, so I had planned to get US $1 bills. Princess gave me plenty of notice of the change, and I'm better off with warmer weather, an extra day to try more things, and some On Board Credit, so I'm happy! Yes, the Countdown's longer, but I might have completely missed out on my first cruise!

They'll take $1 cons, they'll either use them n port, change them at the purser's desk or deposit them through on board banking to send home.

While my girl was young enough to use the kids' program' date=' we would give her an envelope to give to the staff.

[/quote']

Good point as the kids' clubs staff are not included in the auto-tip.

They'll take $1 cons, they'll either use them n port, change them at the purser's desk or deposit them through on board banking to send home.

THANK YOU! Great help coming from more experienced cruisers. Also great to know my desire to let Management know about their great customer service, naming and detailing the people and the help they gave me, just might help them get a deserved promotion.

I was also told about a good, easy to pack souvenir so that's on my shopping list. Have quite a list, but most people have several ideas pencilled in for them, so I have a choice, there's really only the TA staff that I can't be flexible with what I buy-I was thinking a box of chocolates to share bought through Gift Services. I will have an insulated lunch bag with me so keeping them cool at Disembarkation shouldn't be a problem, and they'll be in the carry on case when flying home, so Airport Security can easily check. Never had a problem with the insulated bag holding some sandwiches to have for afternoon tea-the Guard laughed, "I'd been so eager to get to the airport that I didn't wait to finish my lunch!" As I am so slow, I leave plenty of time BEFORE I have to be at the airport so I'm not hurried. I can tolerate having 2-3 hours at the airport, the seats aren't TOO uncomfortable, and once through Security Screening I can slow down and take my time walking to the Departure gate.

I have noted to ask the steward for a top sheet when I get aboard. Since having cancer treatment I can be hot and cold and multi-layered clothing is my best friend :D I'm 1 of the lucky ones, I found the original lump and got to treatment in time, some other people weren't so lucky:(

It's very simple--you tip extra any time the service is such that you feel the person deserves an extra tip.

Yes, the auto tip covers many of the crew, but we often feel that a staff member goes over and above to make our cruise special, and we tip liberally. For example, dh loves his brewed coffee, and he's at the coffee bar several times a day including very early in the a.m. He's often the only one there that early, and he gets to know the baristas and enjoy one on one conversations with them. They always get an extra tip, both during the trip esp. if he knows they're going ashore that day and at the end.