Christmas markets question

MalibooNewYork

My DH cannot take vacation in October, November, or December:mad: and hoped to take a river cruise in January and still see the Christmas Markets. I have seen a few that are still open until the first week of January but not many.

I wondered if any of you have taken a river cruise in January and your experience with the markets being open? Please tell me I don't have to wait until retirement to do this DREAM cruise!

We took a holiday cruise last year on the Rhine that departed Basel on 12/28. Markets were open in Colmar and one small one in Heidelberg. In Munich there is the Tollwood open in January and Berlin has one or two as well. Those are best visited as land trips.

I wondered if any of you have taken a river cruise in January and your experience with the markets being open? Please tell me I don't have to wait until retirement to do this DREAM cruise!

I am not sure there are any Rhine/Danube river cruises in January. It's a dismal month best enjoyed in sunny Florida. caviargal, who still had a boat running in early

January?

After Epiphany, the Christmas season is over and the carnival season gears up to end on Ash Wednesday.

Edited by Floridiana

I am not sure there are any Rhine/Danube river cruises in January. It's a dismal month best enjoyed in sunny Florida. caviargal, who still had a boat running in early

January?

After Epiphany, the Christmas season is over and the carnival season gears up to end on Ash Wednesday.

We were on AmaReina from Basel to Amsterdam. My husband's workplace is closed between Christmas and New Years and we often end up somewhere in Europe at that time. We had a TON of snow and it was just stunning!

Edited by caviargal

We were on AmaReina from Basel to Amsterdam. My husband's workplace is closed between Christmas and New Years and we often end up somewhere in Europe at that time. We had a TON of snow and it was just stunning!

That sounds lovely! Might just stick that on my bucket list :)

We (having much in common with caviargal;)) also love to travel in Nov/early Dec, and good deals on airfare & off season hotel or apartment rental rates mean we get to Europe more cheaply and with many fewer tourists than in the summer.

The downside - esp for river cruises - is that the days are short so you don't get nearly as much scenery as cruises at other times of the year (I assume, since I've only been on the one river cruise). But at the same time - with our itinerary at least (Nue-Bsl) we didn't spend any evening time at the Christmas Markets - if we hadn't gone to Nuremberg early and stayed at Basel an extra night, we wouldn't have been able to see the Markets lit up (fun, warm & lively) at night. The couple of times we actually stayed at port later in the evening (eg past dinner time) we weren't in areas where you could easily get to a town or a market. If evening markets are important, you should note the itinerary timing carefully!

Sadly - our temps were not cold & snowy either. We had a trip to Amsterdam that was snowy & icy and we enjoyed that quite a bit. Ah well. November is a swing month for weather, you never know....

I am not sure there are any Rhine/Danube river cruises in January. It's a dismal month best enjoyed in sunny Florida.

So I should just stay home then?:p

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Edited by 3dogmom

We (having much in common with caviargal;)) also love to travel in Nov/early Dec, and good deals on airfare & off season hotel or apartment rental rates mean we get to Europe more cheaply and with many fewer tourists than in the summer.

The downside - esp for river cruises - is that the days are short so you don't get nearly as much scenery as cruises at other times of the year (I assume, since I've only been on the one river cruise). But at the same time - with our itinerary at least (Nue-Bsl) we didn't spend any evening time at the Christmas Markets - if we hadn't gone to Nuremberg early and stayed at Basel an extra night, we wouldn't have been able to see the Markets lit up (fun, warm & lively) at night.

Again we agree. :) We get more for our money in the winter months and that means we can visit more often. We also enjoy the chance of pace a real winter brings, as we don't get those in Florida.

I have visited during the markets at least a dozen times over a period of 20 years or so. My all time favorite trips during the Christmas season were our DIY land trips. We love the markets in the evenings, when the locals come out and enjoy with friends and family. And we love going to the smaller towns, often accessible only by bus or even ferry, and enjoying the less touristy and often very charming markets there. St. Gilgen, St. Wolfgang and Bad Ischl in Austria were stand outs for us and we would love to get back.

We have not yet made plans for the upcoming holiday. This discussion has me contemplating the possibility of an extra trip this year to Europe. If only we had access to better flights, it would be so much easier!

Edited by caviargal

My DH cannot take vacation in October, November, or December:mad: and hoped to take a river cruise in January and still see the Christmas Markets. I have seen a few that are still open until the first week of January but not many.

I don't know if there are any cruise lines that have sailings in January, but a quick check of the AMA website shows that they do not. I hope that others on this forum will chime in.

I don't know if there are any cruise lines that have sailings in January, but a quick check of the AMA website shows that they do not. I hope that others on this forum will chime in.

Dec. 28th is the latest departure on AMA. Very limited options in Jan., if any.

We have not yet made plans for the upcoming holiday. This discussion has me contemplating the possibility of an extra trip this year to Europe. If only we had access to better flights, it would be so much easier!

We're hoping for London "sometime" in the fall for our 15th anniversary- I can't make any plans until I know when a work trip to China will be - I can't miss that but they're dragging their feet on the scheduling:rolleyes: I have it in my head to try a late November ("Thanksgiving") trip though. I haven't been to London in 20 years and my husband has never been. If we do end up going that late, I'll have to see if London has any holiday markets:p

We're hoping for London "sometime" in the fall for our 15th anniversary- I can't make any plans until I know when a work trip to China will be - I can't miss that but they're dragging their feet on the scheduling:rolleyes: I have it in my head to try a late November ("Thanksgiving") trip though. I haven't been to London in 20 years and my husband has never been. If we do end up going that late, I'll have to see if London has any holiday markets:p

We were in London on Boxing Day last year, as an overnight on the way to Switzerland. I did not notice any markets but I do recall seeing a travel special on TV not too long ago that they have recently started holding them in London. And the stall owners are coming in from Germany:).

Our anniversary is in late November, which is another reason we are almost always somewhere in Europe at that time.

Our anniversary is Oct 28 but we're never wedded (ha ha) to celebrating on the exact date - we'll travel when fares are good and we have time. I'm sure even without Christmas markets, we'll enjoy London:D

My first Christmas market was in Belgium - 1992 - and I've been hooked ever since! But I don't discriminate - I love ALL markets. Food markets, flea markets - you put up a tent in a street and I'm there!

When do these European Christmas markets start? Don't want to plan a trip and miss out because some are not open yet.

I believe they coincide with the start of Advent - around the end of November.

Fran

I believe they coincide with the start of Advent - around the end of November.

Fran

We are taking our first Christmas market cruise Dec 1-8 from Budapest to Passau. We are spending a few days in Munich precruise. The research I've done says that most of the Markets will officially be open by the first Sunday of Advent which is Nov 29. Reading a number of reviews shows that many of them do open before that but it is somewhat hit and miss and would need to check each individually. I think we are safe that all will be open.

We are taking our first Christmas market cruise Dec 1-8 from Budapest to Passau. We are spending a few days in Munich precruise. The research I've done says that most of the Markets will officially be open by the first Sunday of Advent which is Nov 29. Reading a number of reviews shows that many of them do open before that but it is somewhat hit and miss and would need to check each individually. I think we are safe that all will be open.

I love Munich and it's variety of markets. Viktualienmarkt is a favorite any time of year, but especially appealing at Christmas.

And there are so many options for great day trips as well. Hoping to get back there soon.

Have fun!

Hello MalibooNewYork,

I am surprised that there is no German Christmas market in New York yet! We Germans have exported them to the UK already. Must work on the US-coast promptly to get some established. :D

But seriously Christmas markets are not a new invention, the oldest ones in Germany date back several hundred years. There might be a bit of kitsch and non-German-made stuff around these days but the traditional Christmas markets still sell the old things made to traditional recipes and the handicraft that has not changed for a hundred years.

So, a fantastic experience, and I also recommend like previous posters you have a look at youtube videos.

Christmas markets are still more common in Germany than in any other country, a river cruise that goes through Germany or at least Austria is your best bet. Although Paris is great all year round and they have a Christmas market there, too.

The regions of Alsace and Lorraine in France have traditional Christmas markets, Alsace i.e. Strassbourg is on the popular route Basel - Amsterdam, but Lorraine you can normally not enjoy on a river cruise itinerary.

I personally love Metz in Lorraine and the small markets on the Rhine and Moselle.

One downside is the sometimes abysmal weather involving rain, rain, rain, wind, sleet and snow dirty from car tyres. Cold fingers, too. :( But seeing the Christmas markets is worth it.

notamermaid

When do the Markets start? We will be in Paris for our Anniversary in the beginning of November for a few days and off to do a River Cruise on the Danube from Budapest to Germany.. Im so hoping and praying we will get to see and experience these markets.They sound amazing! & just my cup of tea!!

Hi Caviargal!

We are booked on Viking this year starting in Basel to Amsterdam 12/12-12/19. We are staying 2 nights extra before in Basel. One to recoup from the trip from FL and two to see Basel and it's Christmas Market. We booked on our own and staying in the Old Town area which I believe is close to both of the markets.

You said you had a TON of snow. Was that last year and it sounded like you were there after Christmas. Just how cold was it and do you think there will be any snow in the middle of the month. I know (living in FL) you really don't know what the weather will be like until you stick your head out the door but in general. First Christmas Season cruise - we sailed her a year ago this July, did Grand European - Amsterdam to Budapest. Was FABULOUS!! Hoping this will be something totally different and just as FABULOUS. We loved Viking. Any info you could share would be appreciated. Thanks & can't wait! :):)

Hi Caviargal!

We are booked on Viking this year starting in Basel to Amsterdam 12/12-12/19. We are staying 2 nights extra before in Basel. One to recoup from the trip from FL and two to see Basel and it's Christmas Market. We booked on our own and staying in the Old Town area which I believe is close to both of the markets.

You said you had a TON of snow. Was that last year and it sounded like you were there after Christmas. Just how cold was it and do you think there will be any snow in the middle of the month. I know (living in FL) you really don't know what the weather will be like until you stick your head out the door but in general. First Christmas Season cruise - we sailed her a year ago this July, did Grand European - Amsterdam to Budapest. Was FABULOUS!! Hoping this will be something totally different and just as FABULOUS. We loved Viking. Any info you could share would be appreciated. Thanks & can't wait! :):)

Last year we departed Basel on the 28th. The snow was falling from the minute we landed and it is actually a rarity in Basel. We had about 10 inches of gorgeous, fluffy white snow from the time we landed until that evening. We sat out on our balcony and took it all in - breathtaking!

We have a friend who lives in Basel and said that snowfall in the city is quite rare and that much at one time is unheard of. We were very fortunate. And living in Florida it was really magical for us!

We had lots of snow in Colmar the following day which turned a gorgeous town into a postcard. The markets were open and busy and we stood there and decided that the entire trip was worth that moment. The snow was falling, we were drinking mulled wine while bundled up in down and boots and it was one of our most memorable travel experiences, ever.

The snow stayed with us in Strasbourg, which is also lovely.

You will have the advantage of the markets being at their peak when you go (we have been in Europe at the time several times over the years) and it should be spectacular!

You can see some photos on my husband's website of the markets over the course of several trips: http://davidgphotoart.com/?load=flash#/1044392/European-River-Cruises

Have a fabulous trip! For us, there is just nothing like Europe at Christmas.:)

Edited by caviargal

B & C ~ we did "your" trip - also with 2 pre-cruise days in Basel - early December 1912 and the only falling snow we encountered was landing at home at JFK! We saw snow on the ground in the Black Forest but that was it!!

So, needless to say, every year is different!! We went ready for snow falls and much colder weather than we had - and we appreciated out boots and warm socks since the weather was damp!

We loved the cruise and I would actually take it any time of year!! One note ~ if you see something you like buy it! Everything won't always be the same at every market. Likewise, if you want the big German cookies - be patient, you won't find them until Heidleberg & Cologne!!

Any questions I'll be more than ahppy to answer!! Here's my photos - enjoy!!!

Rhine River Christmas Markets Slideshow TripAdvisor™

notamermaid ~ actually in NYC we do have Christmas Makets. Many churches have ones for one or two weekends with a combination of ornaments, hand-made items, raffles, home-foods, Santa-photos, flea-markets and some even sell trees, wreaths & plants. There's a great Santa Lucia one at the Swedish Church in mid-town where they even have a dinner.

And, being "politically correct", we also have Holiday Markets! The largest are the HM at Union Square (14th Street) and the Winter Village, Bryant Park (34th Street) which also has many food kiosks and an ice skating rink - reminds me SO much of Koln!!!

But NYC, because of local laws, lacks an important element of the European Christmas Markets - we have NO Gluhwein (mulled wine)! No collectable yearly mug! The Winter Village does have a restaurant/lounge/bar but it just isn't the same!! Great memory of the Basel CM and sitting around an open wood fire being warmed inside by sipping some hot mulled wine! Ahhh a fabulous memory!!!

We did the Basel-Amsterdam route last year, sailed the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We had great weather, highs in the upper 40's and evenings in the 30's. I only needed to wear a hat and gloves one morning when it was drizzling. Not a flake of snow. It was wonderful for walking around all of the markets, but it did lack a lot of the atmosphere that we had on the Danube the previous year when we had snow and cold temps. That was at the same time of year. We are doing the Main River this year, same time frame. Hoping for snow- it adds so much to the experience.

You can never tell what the weather is going to be, just go,prepared for the worst and you will be fine for whatever Mother Nature deals out. Layers are the key.

We did the Viking christmas Markets tour from Nuremberg to Frankfort last year and it was just magical..We also went to Munich which we loved and paris. (The Paris Christmas market was not as pretty as the ones in Germany. ) We loved the mulled wine and each city had their own mug for it. The whole experience was wonderful. We went the second week in december and while we had rain we it wasn't too cold and we had no snow. A great trip.

We did the Viking christmas Markets tour from Nuremberg to Frankfort last year and it was just magical..We also went to Munich which we loved and paris. (The Paris Christmas market was not as pretty as the ones in Germany. ) We loved the mulled wine and each city had their own mug for it. The whole experience was wonderful. We went the second week in december and while we had rain we it wasn't too cold and we had no snow. A great trip.

We are on this cruise this year. Can you tell me if you actually dock in any of the cities, walking distance to markets etc, or do you have to be bussed to everything? Also, is there much free time in markets, or are you pretty much contained in the tour groups? We usually prefer to explore places on our own and it looks like Viking pretty much keeps people together or on busses. Love the itinerary and cruise dates, hope I'm not going to be disappointed in having to be bussed everywhere.