What to wear on formal nights HAL?

golfergirl12

New cruisers and I'm not sure what to pack for the 2 formal nights. How fancy do people get? It's an Alaskan cruise-- will I freeze in a strappy dress or will I be inside going to and from dinner?

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Holland America.

HAL dining rooms may feel on the chilly side but you will be inside going from your stateroom to the Main Dining Room. The majority of male guests will be in jackets/ties or suits. There will be a smattering of tuxedos and long gowns on Alaska cruises based on my many Alaskan Formal Nights on HAL.

In any case, dress as you wish to match your husband's attire. Those around you will probably never see you again anyway after the cruise.

Make sure to join your CC Roll Call to meet fellow passengers.

Enjoy Alaska.

Edited by Crew News

New cruisers and I'm not sure what to pack for the 2 formal nights. How fancy do people get? It's an Alaskan cruise-- will I freeze in a strappy dress or will I be inside going to and from dinner?

You will fine in a strappy dress, take a pashmina or a light jacket in case you get cold in the dining room, though I never do. It's not overly fancy, some tuxes, cocktail-type dresses, or nice pants and top. Pretty much the same as you would wear to a fine dining restaurant.

I always carry or wear a wrap to the dining room; it can be a bit chilly sometimes. In Alaska, I usually wear what I'd wear to any formal night anywhere.

>SNIP<

In any case, dress as you wish to match your husband's attire.

>SNIP<

Personally I think you should disregard that bit of advice. Dress as you wish. Maybe you don't have a husband. Maybe you have a wife. Or maybe you are traveling with friends. Or solo. Or possibly (just possibly) your partner/wife/husband is a slob. There is no requirement that you dress to match your husband. ;)

Edited by CowPrincess

You will be inside going from your cabin to the dining room. You don't need to go outside and a strappy dress sounds lovely :)

Depending upon when you go to dinner the dining room can be cool. They anticipate a lot of people and try to plan for it. I always take a shawl, but often at main (late) dining I don't need it. If I dine earlier in the PG or elsewhere I do find it can be cooler.

So, a shawl to be safe is always good to pack and HAL usually has their infamous $10 sale with shawls if you need one.

We have done quite a few Alaskan cruises on HAL and over the years we have noticed that people are not dressing up as much as they used to on formal. Weight -- baggage fees have a lot to do with how people are now dressing.

On our last Alaskan cruise we saw very few men in tuxedos and very ladies dressed in long gowns.

Most men wore suits and ties or jackets with ties. Ladies wore cocktail dresses or fancy skirts or pants with fancy tops.

No reason why you can't wear a strappy dress -- you will be inside during the evening hours.

Should you decide to go outside for viewing -- you can certainly change into warmer clothes.

You will fine in a strappy dress, take a pashmina or a light jacket in case you get cold in the dining room, though I never do. It's not overly fancy, some tuxes, cocktail-type dresses, or nice pants and top. Pretty much the same as you would wear to a fine dining restaurant.

Sounds like what DW does.

We just bought a nice jacket, shirt and tie for my husband. We'll cruise on the Zuiderdam in two weeks. He never wears a suit, so buying one would be a total waste of money and in a rented tuxedo he would be very uncomfartable. I'll be wearing a cocktail dress and maybe even a longer gown on the second formal night, so maybe that's not 'matching' with his rather 'casual' formal attire, but i don't mind.

We just bought a nice jacket, shirt and tie for my husband. We'll cruise on the Zuiderdam in two weeks. He never wears a suit, so buying one would be a total waste of money and in a rented tuxedo he would be very uncomfartable. I'll be wearing a cocktail dress and maybe even a longer gown on the second formal night, so maybe that's not 'matching' with his rather 'casual' formal attire, but i don't mind.

What you both plan to wear sounds fine.