What is the difference between a balcony & mini suite?

BamaVol

I got quotes today from a TA on a balcony cabin, which I requested. He also quoted a mini suite. I looked at the layout and I'm not sure I see a difference. This is on Epic, if that matters?

I got quotes today from a TA on a balcony cabin, which I requested. He also quoted a mini suite. I looked at the layout and I'm not sure I see a difference. This is on Epic, if that matters?

Are there more than 2 people in your cabin? If so, I would go with a mini. The balconies are lovely, but very, very tight on space.

Are there more than 2 people in your cabin? If so, I would go with a mini. The balconies are lovely, but very, very tight on space.

Two us, relatively slender people. Our last cabin was an inside on the Sky, all 121 square feet of it. We managed. We've stayed in smaller hotel rooms in Paris and been comfortable. I'm just looking for the luxury of a balcony. I don't think the extra room is worth another $400 to us. And I think tubs are gross.

Two us, relatively slender people. Our last cabin was an inside on the Sky, all 121 square feet of it. We managed. We've stayed in smaller hotel rooms in Paris and been comfortable. I'm just looking for the luxury of a balcony. I don't think the extra room is worth another $400 to us. And I think tubs are gross.

In that case you'll be fine in the balcony room. On Epic only about half of the mini suites have tubs, the other have larger showers. For 2 people in the room I'd do balcony. For 3-4 if budget allowed I'd try to get a mini.

You'll be fine then. My DH and I found the balcony cabin to be good for us. But, we were very glad we did not bring a teenager with us this time!

...There is nothing in a mini suite that might resemble a suite in any way, what you get is an upscale balcony room with a better bathroom is all...No perks no nothing special, have cruised in a mini suite 4 times, its OK, moving up to a suite to see how nice its supposed to be..."Mini suite" is a misnomer if ever...Kinda like on RCL they call a balcony a "verandah"... Semantics...

Enjoy whatever accommodations you select and have a great time...:cool:

Rob

One of the TA's I contacted quoted a large balcony. I don't see a lot of information on NCL.com about them. As far as I can tell, they are identical to a balcony cabin but have a larger, irregular balcony. Anything to watch out for?

Edited by BamaVol

One of the TA's I contacted quoted a large balcony. I don't see a lot of information on NCL.com about them. As far as I can tell, they are identical to a balcony cabin but have a larger, irregular balcony. Anything to watch out for?

I believe the minisuites also have a larger bed (king compared to a queen in the balcony rooms.)

Mini Suites are a tad larger than balcony rooms but the main difference is in the bathroom and how it is laid out...Balconies are the same, the beds are "queen" sized, not kings...We've tried the balcony rooms and have been in a mini suite 4 times after that, its all about the bathroom...Balcony bathroom is tiny, mini suite is huge in comparison...Check out the "floor plans" before you book, you'll see the differences...Good luck, happy cruising to you all...

Rob

As previously posted mini suite is just a glorified balcony cabin. We had a balcony on the Epic a few years ago and found it very comfy with lots of storage too. This is what the ncl website says about mini suites:

The Mini-Suites with a Balcony have room for up to three and feature curved walls, a sitting area, two lower beds that convert to a queen-size bed and a luxury bath with shower or tub. They also include a private balcony with an amazing view.

No king size bed in any mini suites on any ncl fleet that I have found. The real/full suites are a different story.

Its all about the bathrooms. Being a family of 4 we really need and use the extra bathroom space more than one person can be getting ready at a time.

I know the family minis have tubs but am pretty sure the other mini's have great wonderful large showers. I mean you can be drying your swimwear in one end of the shower and bathe in the other.