Family cruise

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I were considering a Holland America cruise for our family trip this January. We have cruised HAL 3 times before we had children and really enjoyed the laid back elegance. But now we were considering trying them out again with the kids. There is a great sale going on and we can get a great deal, just not sure if it will be the best fit for the family.

First of all, does anyone know how the beds are configured on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam? We would have 4 in a room. I saw some pictures of rooms with the 4th bed over the adult bed. Don't think we would like that. We have cruised Disney with the kids and their 4th bed is over the sofa bed.

Also, does anyone know anything about Club HAL? Our kids will be 4 and 6. Would they enjoy it? Would people be upset with children onboard? It is a pretty port intensive itinerary so I would hope I can keep the kids entertained on the Sea Days. Thanks so much for any insight you can give. :)

Caroline

Hi Everyone,

Also, does anyone know anything about Club HAL? Our kids will be 4 and 6. Would they enjoy it? Would people be upset with children onboard? It is a pretty port intensive itinerary so I would hope I can keep the kids entertained on the Sea Days. Thanks so much for any insight you can give. :)

Caroline

Unfortunately, I cannot answer your bed question.

Here are typical Club HAL events we had in Alaska for kids of a similar age:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/AL-15-Kids-3-7.pdf

Kids love Club HAL and many spend their entire cruise there with lots of new friends.

Edited by Crew News

One of our cruising friends has described Club HAL as the best children's program at sea. They cruise with their children on multiple lines, the children started cruising about the same age as yours, and they seemed to love Club HAL. They sailed on the Westerdam in April 2015 with us through the Panama Canal and there is a "live from" thread still active on this board. Perhaps the member I am speaking of will chime in here.

As far as the bed configuration, I believe that the quad rooms are configured as you expect, one single above the main bed and then a single on a couch. There is a website that collects and displays photos of cabins that might have a quad for the Vista class, search for HAL and cabin and photos and you should easily find it.

Hope you enjoy your cruise with your children wherever you go and whatever line you choose. As far as people being disturbed by children I'd recommend you simply not worry about the opinions of others. So long as your children are well behaved and respectful, no one has any reason to complain. :)

Edited by 0bnxshs

The 2 most popular ships that are geared for children are the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. And you have selected one of them.

Remember that there will not be a lot of children sailing on a January cruise but Club HAL will be up and operating.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the bed situation. The only ones I have heard anyone talk about are the ones that have the sofa bed and the 4th berth over the queen size bed.

The only other category that I know that can handle 4 people in a cabin is a Neptune Suite where there is a King Size bed and a sofa bed that opens up into a Queen Size bed that sleeps 2 and they are not cheap.

We sailed Nieuw Amsterdam with our then 3 yr old dd. It was a wonderful experience. Both passengers and crew were sooo sweet with dd. I believe there were only 20 kids on our sailing, so everyone new her name by the end of the cruise, and she just ate up all the attention!

I believe we saw 7 children at the most at club HAL. This led to an almost one-on-one experience with dd and the counselors, and dd loved that as well.

We did not seem to miss the mini-golf, kiddie pool, etc. The main pool was entertainment enough and the service was spectacular.

The only thing I would do differently is to get a cabana by the pool. We had a hard time finding chairs, for some reason, and we spent a lot of time there (the main pool) with dd.

As far as the room goes, we only had the sleeper sofa so I cannot comment on the sleeping arrangements.

Happy Sailing!

Our children love Club HAL, even more than Disney. But we liked the Disney Magic cabin better. I am the member Obnoxious referred to.

If you book some inside categories or oceanview cabins the bed arrangement will be different than the verandah where the bed is over the main bed. The Neptune Suites have a double sofa bed. We had a VC cabin on the Westerdam and got used to the bed but we prefer the oceanview configuration where the sofa turns into a bed like on Disney but the 4th bunk is over the main bed instead of over the sofa but it runs in the same direction. Search cabin 2664 Volendam or Ryndam cabin 417 to see pictures.

The photo review I did, including pictures of Club Hal is called something like The Sail-away Gang in Living Colour. The week before we boarded the Westerdam there were 300 children in Club Hal, ages 3 to 12. We have the Nieuw Amsterdam booked for next May.

Search also on Club Hal programs. They are all posted from the Westerdam. Our children love the one on one interactions with the Club Hal staff. The programs are interactive and change every day. You will receive the next day's program the night before. Activities are geared towards where the cruise is but includes things like games, arts and crafts, movie night, making breakfast in the culinary arts center for the 7+ age group, Olympics, treasure hunt. ...

From my experience and observations...if your children are well behaved and dressed in cute outfits..they will be treated very well by both staff and passengers.

Not sure what the "cute outfits" is about. Club Hal works on a three strike rule. Any child, even the captain's kid, has two warnings and on the third offense is asked not to return. This includes toilet training accidents.

In my experience, with the exception of formal nights, the behaviour of the children has everything to do with how they are treated by passengers and staff alike. Clothes has nothing to do with it, as it should be.

It's a great fit. We've been cruising with our kids for years - mostly on HAL. There may be fewer kids in the kids club, but that's what my kids enjoyed about it. They didn't spend much time in the kids club, maybe an activity or two per day, but rather preferred to spend time with us in the pool or wherever. Half Moon Cay is so ideal for kids. You won't regret it.