room key 4 lights on

luv2gamble

On the Breakaway we had to use our room key to turn on lights. Does anyone know if it is the same on the Gem? I hate leaving something charging and come back to room and its dead because electric was off. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be going on the Breakaway very soon, I was not aware of this. Does this just effect the lights overall electricity in the cabin? I like to charge my camera overnight and wouldn't want the lights on. Also. assuming there is no clock, plan to bring one that I wouldn't want to reset each time.

I'll be going on the Breakaway very soon, I was not aware of this. Does this just effect the lights overall electricity in the cabin? I like to charge my camera overnight and wouldn't want the lights on. Also. assuming there is no clock, plan to bring one that I wouldn't want to reset each time.

It effects everything electrical (lights, TV, outlets, etc) so bring a spare card like Sauer-kraut said. Trust me, it makes life very easy onboard. :)

Edited by maywell

It effects everything electrical (lights, TV, outlets, etc) so bring a spare card like Sauer-kraut said. Trust me, it makes life very easy onboard. :)

If I want to charge my camera overnight, is there a way to turn the lights off?

If I want to charge my camera overnight, is there a way to turn the lights off?

You can turn the lights on/off like normal as long as you have the card in slot (that's why bring a spare gift / room / credit / etc card, so you can leave it in the slot and not have to use your sail/ room card - so you don't accidentally lock yourself out without it:o).

Edited by maywell

Don't bring a plug in electric clock. It won't keep proper time as the electricty cycles oddly. (That's as technical as I can get). Bring a battery operated or wind up travel clock. The bedside tables aren't very big anyways.

We always bring an electic clock and we have never had an issue with it keeping time on any ship. It's also our white noise machine. We keep it by the outlet on the desk. We also always have a power strip so maybe that makes a difference.

You can turn the lights on/off like normal as long as you have the card in slot (that's why bring a spare gift / room / credit / etc card, so you can leave it in the slot and not have to use your sail/ room card - so you don't accidentally lock yourself out without it:o).

Some people have reported the room steward taking the spare card out. When we were on the Epic in December, I remembered and brought our keycard from our previous cruise. I put it in the first day and it stayed the whole time. And the clock was always correct so the steward did not seem to have touched it. We were just very careful about making sure we had turned off everything before we left each time. Seemed to work fine. I too was worried about walking out and leaving my key in the slot.

Edited by drvalo

It effects all of teh electrical circuits in the cabin, BUT the lights are also switched, so you can keep the power on but the lights off at night. It is not as big of an issue as people seem to be implying on this thread. Just take an old hotel room key and you are good to go.

Do not leave it in the slot during the day when you are not in the cabin, your steward will remove it.

It effects all of teh electrical circuits in the cabin, BUT the lights are also switched, so you can keep the power on but the lights off at night. It is not as big of an issue as people seem to be implying on this thread. Just take an old hotel room key and you are good to go.

Do not leave it in the slot during the day when you are not in the cabin, your steward will remove it.

So if you want to have any batteries charging during the day when you are out of your cabin, you can't do it? That's just crazy.

So if you want to have any batteries charging during the day when you are out of your cabin, you can't do it? That's just crazy.

That's why one leaves a spare extra card in the slot - true, some room stewards will take them out but that depends if you left the room make / clean up switch/light up and/or want turn down service.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

That's why one leaves a spare extra card in the slot - true, some room stewards will take them out but that depends if you left the room make / clean up switch/light up and/or want turn down service.

You misunderstood me. I was reacting to the comment that the cabin attendant would remove the card during the day. If he or she does so, that would certainly prevent one from charging batteries then.

We always turn off the lights when we leave the cabin, so presumably this would dissuade the attendant from removing the card.

But this thread is a good reminder to bring SEVERAL extra cards! :) (I save old hotel cards and the like for just this reason.)

You misunderstood me. I was reacting to the comment that the cabin attendant would remove the card during the day. If he or she does so, that would certainly prevent one from charging batteries then.

We always turn off the lights when we leave the cabin, so presumably this would dissuade the attendant from removing the card.

But this thread is a good reminder to bring SEVERAL extra cards! :) (I save old hotel cards and the like for just this reason.)

Again that depends on 1) type of room steward you get - some remove it and leave it on the desk, some pull it out but still leaves it in the slot (I had that one last time) and others just leave it alone completely. And 2) if you even asked for room clean up / turn down service - on the Breakaway and Getaway; there are 2 switches next to the card/light switch that you use for 'Do not Disturb' and ''Make up Room', it contols the 2 little lights outside your door letting your room steward know.

That's pretty much it how the card gets remove - type of room steward and if you want service. Your stuff will charge up just fine. [emoji1] Enjoy your trip!!