Arrive the day of the cruise?

300dtc

Short, cheap cab ride?:eek:

That was before I realized OP was flying into FLL and sailing from Miami. FLL to the port in Fort Lauderdale is a short cheap cab ride.

I may have missed it, but are you flying out of Philadelphia? The reason I ask is that in our office (in Virginia) we always try to avoid flying in and out of there if at all possible. It is a definite topic of conversation when someone's flight goes off without a hitch! Of the last 10 flights one of my colleagues or I have taken, there have been significant delays 7 - 8 times. We were not flying in the winter. Many of those delays were due to rain. I'm sure there are hundreds of flights that go off on time every week, but we just seem to hit the ones that don't.

It will be helpful that you are taking the first flight of the day, so you may be fine, but I would always recommend going in the day/night before if at all possible. I know not everyone can do that, but it does give you more peace of mind. As someone mentioned earlier, it all depends upon your risk comfort level.

I hope you enjoy your cruise on the Sky! I was on her in February and really had a wonderful time.

Being somewhat a creature of habit and looking back to the days when we flew on our daughters passes so couldn't take chances: we alway flew in a day early. No longer do we use passes (too much of a hassle) we still prefer to arrive a day early. We have been on flights that were direct but the schedule is changed the day of or the day before. There are so many possible things that can go wrong if you wait til the day of. On the other hand, probably more people fly in the day of than a day before, especially on a shorter cruise. heck the cost of a hotel can be almost as high as the cost of the flight anymore. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

We are considering a 4 day Sky cruise in mid November. We have a function the day before so were looking at a direct flight leaving at 6:30 a.m. and arriving in Ft. Lauderdale at 9:20 a.m. With a shuttle directly to the port from the airport. Has anyone done the "day of" successfully? I know all the horror stories about late planes and cancelled flights, but this looks completely doable...what do you all think?

I would fly in the day before. While November typically isn't the time of year for horrible weather- you never know. If a plane is cancelled due to any issue, you could miss the ship.

I believe the CC has some posts from people who would not suggest flying in the day of- but you have to do what works best for you.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have flown in on the day of twice, but the flights and transfers were booked through the cruiselines. One of these was Boston to LA, because I had to work the day before.

From then on, I schedule the flight for the day or two before, stay in a hotel and relax before the cruise. I know that many people cannot do this, due to time restraints.