Would you pay for a better boarding experience?

HUNKY

With more than 30 Princess cruises I've already 'paid' for it. Leave it as it is. At most piers it's not necessarily much of a lounge as a way to hustle those with preferred boarding (don't think about giving that up!) in one area so they can go first when embark starts. In Seattle the pier is quite small and shared with HAL so the preferred 'lounge' is not much more than a nook and there is no way to make it biger.

With more than 30 Princess cruises I've already 'paid' for it. Leave it as it is. At most piers it's not necessarily much of a lounge as a way to hustle those with preferred boarding (don't think about giving that up!) in one area so they can go first when embark starts. In Seattle the pier is quite small and shared with HAL so the preferred 'lounge' is not much more than a nook and there is no way to make it biger.

Totally agree.

Basically, NO.

Once my feet hit the terminal, I am on vacation. :D

Whatever happens, how soon I do or do not get on the ship, will be. Que cera cera, whatever will be, will be (thanks Doris).

I do not begrudge those that have cruised so much more than I, to have a special area in the terminal to board first. They earned that right and some day we will too.

I'm on vacation.... :D

In Seattle the pier is quite small and shared with HAL so the preferred 'lounge' is not much more than a nook and there is no way to make it biger.

My experience in Seattle (as elite) was excellent.

Pierless Tom, et. al. did a great job.

Houston was very nice, with plush furniture.

This is good, as you may be sitting on it for hours with fog delay.

I would never do it! I've never understood the obsession with getting onboard the ship first or fast. However, I'm not sailing on mega ships where they are trying to board thousands.

I've never waited more than a half hour. I don't care what type of chair it is, as long as I have a place to sit. :)

Edited by susancruzs

The only time I was happy to have an elite lounge was a cruise out of San Pedro. Our flight arrived about 8:30 at LAX and had nothing to do so headed over to the terminal. About a week before we sailed we received a note from Princess telling us they had a mandatory Coast Guard exercise and boarding would be delayed. So, we had a lot of time to kill and the comfy chairs in the lounge helped. The funny thing is that when they did start boarding there were so many people already in the terminal I don't think we boarded any faster than everyone else. It was kind of a free for all.

But, I wouldn't pay for the experience and have never had any issues just walking on board for on any cruise except that one.

Yet another way for the cruise companies to charge us for stuff that should be free. No way!!!

DON

We agree. Years ago, in the 1990's, there was not any upcharge dining venues. Cruising included "fine dining" without the upcharge. Totally understand that companies want to improve the bottom line.

We agree. Years ago, in the 1990's, there was not any upcharge dining venues. Cruising included "fine dining" without the upcharge. Totally understand that companies want to improve the bottom line.

Our first cruise was in 1986 & the price we paid was more than it cost today. A post of a mid-1970s Princess brochure for 3 & 4 day cruises from LA cost the same as they do today & sometimes are even cheaper now. Factor in inflation & cruising is much more affordable today. I've read that many times today's cruise fares barely cover the cost to cruise lines & onboard spending is how they're able to remain profitable.

So it's understandable to me that things have changed & that cheaper prices no longer provide "fine dining" which is still available to anyone who can afford a luxury cruise experience but that isn't within my budget.

Edited by Astro Flyer

nope, see no need either. We have never waited a really long time to get on the ship and the area they have for D+ on Royal or Elite on Princess or Celebrity works just fine for us. Would certainly not want to pay to sit somewhere before I get on the ship.