Island Princess Propulsion problem

Starry Eyes

Thanks so much for keeping us up to date. It sounds good so far.

Do you know if the (newly added) aft cabins vibration is still an issue or did the repair happen to fix that?

Enjoy the rest of your cruise :)

• 5 weeks later...

Do not get a room on the 14 deck. We got L715, L717 on the July 21st sailing and the vibration was horrible. When we complained, they offered us 2 rooms on different decks which obviously didn't work since we have minors. We had to endure this for 8 days before moving. It's criminal that Princess is continuing to sell these rooms while knowing about the problems with vibrations.

Do not get a room on the 14 deck. We got L715, L717 on the July 21st sailing and the vibration was horrible. When we complained, they offered us 2 rooms on different decks which obviously didn't work since we have minors. We had to endure this for 8 days before moving. It's criminal that Princess is continuing to sell these rooms while knowing about the problems with vibrations.

Thanks for coming back and reporting on this.

What type of cabin?

These are the 20 new balcony 'BE' category staterooms (L701-720) added last refit. There were always doubts & speculations re these and their positioning. So sorry you guys had to endure these horribles on the same 21st July voyage we took, because we thoroughly enjoyed our room & location. Agree, these should not be sold given your problems, but I guess there will always be a market for someone. If everyone BOYCOTTED them then maybe a reconsideration - but don't hold your breath!

P.S. Aft of these are PENTHOUSE & VISTA SUITES - wonder how they fare, esp. what these rooms cost!

After our complaint, Princess refunded us 50% of our fare. However we are going to escalate this further with their Corporate HQ.

They have taken a calculated decision that some percentage of the room occupants will complain and for those they will offer some discount. However they will still come out ahead by selling these rooms as is rather take these rooms out of circulation till the problem is fixed

Is anyone on here booked in these new cabins on upcoming cruises?

We shall be embarking next week and our room is actually one of the new aft cabins. I get motion sickness very easily so I am quite worried about these vibrations! Atone point I thought the problem had been solved since no one mentioned it again! Any one been there recently after propulsion problem?

Yes, as i mentioned i was on the cruise from Barcelona to Venice starting on July 21st. If you are booked on the 14th deck (LIDO), you should try to change your cabin. The issue is not motion sickness. It's a thumping vibration that comes through the floor. It's like someone is thumping from underneath the floor with a hammer. It's awful when you try to sleep because the vibration comes through your bed and into your head.

Move to a different deck and also more to the middle or forward of the ship. These new cabins are towards the back right next to the smoke stack and above the engines.

After 8 days of this, we finally moved to deck 8 but roughly at the at spot and the vibrations were not present. So i suspect the vibrations become worse as you move up.

It's also worthy to note that vibrational issues can vary based on small changes in engine speed due to harmonics. Thus, depending on speed of ship needed and demand on power plant, one cruise or even one day could have it a lot worse than another. In this case a 'clean' cruise is not a guarantee the issue is resolved.

It's also worthy to note that vibrational issues can vary based on small changes in engine speed due to harmonics. Thus, depending on speed of ship needed and demand on power plant, one cruise or even one day could have it a lot worse than another. In this case a 'clean' cruise is not a guarantee the issue is resolved.

This is due to added superstructure that was not factored into the original design. :(

Yes but it's criminal that they continue to sell these rooms to unsuspecting customers while being fully aware of the problem.

My vacation was close to the point of being ruined because we weren't able to sleep for the first 8 nights.

Is anyone on here booked in these new cabins on upcoming cruises?

We have booked this cabin for an Alaska Cruise, the last cabin on Caribe Port side. We love aft cabins and can stand some vibration but I don't think what I've reading about Island aft cabins are "normal" aft vibrations. I've posted several times but can't find any information about this cabin. It would be located where that wonderful Caribe aft deck was.

We shall be embarking next week and our room is actually one of the new aft cabins. I get motion sickness very easily so I am quite worried about these vibrations! Atone point I thought the problem had been solved since no one mentioned it again! Any one been there recently after propulsion problem?

Did you change your cabin location?

Oh yes, but not what I was going at. What I mean is that depending on the speed of the engines, different cabins may be effected at different times. So its entirely possible for a cabin to have no issues for 3 days and the next day to feel like someone is using a jackhammer, because the ship changed speed.

With that in mind, and given the known issues and no structural changes, I want to make sure that even if you see a 'I had no problems' report, that is not necessarily indicative of a resolution.

This is due to added superstructure that was not factored into the original design. :(

Oh yes, but not what I was going at. What I mean is that depending on the speed of the engines, different cabins may be effected at different times. So its entirely possible for a cabin to have no issues for 3 days and the next day to feel like someone is using a jackhammer, because the ship changed speed.

With that in mind, and given the known issues and no structural changes, I want to make sure that even if you see a 'I had no problems' report, that is not necessarily indicative of a resolution.

A great explanation & I agree with you...thanks.