Island Princess Propulsion problem

Starry Eyes

We are on the 14th August sailing. My DH is an ex Royal Navy Marine Engineer. He is optimistic that this could be repaired without a dry dock.

I am very inclined to agree with your DH unless it is in the stern tube then that's a whole other matter. But as your husband knows bearings do go and its generally at a very inopportune time.

We'll probably never know for sure, but I'm wondering if the vibration wasn't the result of the bearing failure and not the cause of it. And if it was in fact the result of it why wasn't it addressed during the recent dry docking; according to some who sailed before the dry dock the vibration was present then. :confused:

All ships vibrate to a degree and some people are more sensitive to the vibration then others particularly those with aft cabins. I would like to think that if the vibration was an issue the engineers would have dealt with it in drydock. But shaft bearings are notorious for going without any advanced indication.

FYI...Island Princess (June 27-July 9,2015 Grand Mediterranean cruise)currently has a propulsion problem impacting itinerary. Scheduled to dock at 8 am in Istanbul this morning, passengers instead got a 7 am announcement from Captain that our arrival would be delayed until approximately 1 pm. Problem stated to be bearing problem in a shaft, so propelling slower with single operational shaft. We docked in Istanbul at about 1:20pm. After ally oars this evening, Captain admitted we would not make Kusadasi at all, instead we sail straight for Athens on July 6.

No estimated time for repair has been given to us. I hope the problem is quickly fixed, else it may greatly impact upcoming cruise itineraries. She is currently too slow to cover the distances in allotted times.

Thank you for posting this information. We are on the Sept 19 cruise. They hae already cut 8 hours of port time from the itinerary.

Please keep us informed about repairs.

pam (also in Calfiornia)

I'm sorry you are missing ports.

It seems that for us, this is the voyage of uncertainness. Its been nothing but a cluster (not nice word) since I booked this.

Now, I'm pretty livid after reading this.

I appreciate everybody's well-wishes and also the condolences. Most importantly, we are safe and comfortable aboard. The food and service have been great. Weather has been fabulous every day. Also, I can share info with my fellow CC members with Internet access I won via drawing at the Captain Circle gold/ruby event, giving DH and I elite treatment for the remainder of the cruise😀. Not usually hard liquor drinkers, but if things get worse, we could hit the minibar and we can even do it wearing clean clothes, lol.

I am not an engineer, marine or otherwise, so I can only report my (limited?) understanding of the Captain Poggi's overhead message about the mechanical issue. I have not heard any info about timing or difficulty of repairs.

Honestly, I had not even thought about compensation for myself; staff on board did. Sometime last night a letter was delivered saying we will get (yet unspecified) compensation. When I started the thread, my thoughts were not of compensation but instead for those getting ready for upcoming cruises. In their shoes, I'd want warning that something might be amiss. Forewarned is forearmed, as they say. For the poster on the next sailing, I can offer little insight, though I would bring extra port info in case new, closer ports are substituted...maybe Rick Steves Med Cruise Ports book or similar. Maybe load it as an e book on your favorite device. At least you'd have a reference if you need to do last minute (re-)planning.

Seas are slight, winds light. Even with the favorable conditions, it feels as if we are barely moving. Admittedly, that may be the power of suggestion vs a reflection of speed. Hopefully, skipping Kusadasi will allow us to make Athens and Venice on time...or close anyway.

I will try to post updates if we get new info.

Wendy

Our final payment is due next week, July 8th. Princess just reported no knowledge of changes to that itinerary. Hope we can get clarification before July 8th.

Tough call. Do I cancel or keep my cruise with a good possibility it will not be what I booked.

Can you still purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance?

Thanks Pam - good positive thinking. I am sure it will be fixed by Oct 1st, just that it coincides with our final payment, so wondered about options.

Anyone have experience where a ship has to have a major repair ? There is no down time between cruises so I wonder how they handle that. Cut a few days off next cruise and compensate those cruisers ?

For a major repair the ship is out of service, dry dock or no dry dock.

Thank you for posting this information. We are on the Sept 19 cruise. They hae already cut 8 hours of port time from the itinerary.

Please keep us informed about repairs.

pam (also in Calfiornia)

Pam, we are on the Oct 13th sailing. Did Princess send you an email notifying you of the changes? And did they give any reasons why, this far ahead, your port time was changed?

Pam, we are on the Oct 13th sailing. Did Princess send you an email notifying you of the changes? And did they give any reasons why, this far ahead, your port time was changed?

We're on the same sailing as Pam. Most received email from Princess - our change was due to port congestion...............

We're on the same sailing as Pam. Most received email from Princess - our change was due to port congestion...............

we are on 9th July cruise too, hope it gets sorted v soon for us but also for those onboard now especially.

Any updates appreciated, bridge cam now shows ship on way to Athens, should it not have docked this morning at 7am?

Caused by the reduction in speed and late port arrival due to the bearing/vibration issue I am sure. :(

Can you still purchase "cancel for any reason" insurance?

That is an interesting point, will call TA.

"For a major repair the ship is out of service, dry dock or no dry dock."

My point was that, since ships turn around the same day as they end a cruise and the cruise calendar is full, then there is no down time. How has this been handled previously ? Cut a few days off next cruise? Cancel the cruise?

My gut tells me they will sort it out by Oct 1. Fingers crossed for those on upcoming cruises.

That is an interesting point, will call TA.

"For a major repair the ship is out of service, dry dock or no dry dock."

My point was that, since ships turn around the same day as they end a cruise and the cruise calendar is full, then there is no down time. How has this been handled previously ? Cut a few days off next cruise? Cancel the cruise?

My gut tells me they will sort it out by Oct 1. Fingers crossed for those on upcoming cruises.

Not the case with the Island's Med Itinerary. These cruises are set up with an overnight in Venice not a same day turn around. It would afford approximately 24 hours to try and correct the issue to sail safely albeit with a possible change to the itinerary

[quote name='Tyskie']We're on the same sailing as Pam. Most received email from Princess - our change was due to port congestion...............[/QUOTE]

OK. Thank you.

So far we haven't received anything yet. Keeping fingers crossed.

[quote name='CruiseKing']Not the case with the Island's Med Itinerary. These cruises are set up with an overnight in Venice not a same day turn around. It would afford approximately 24 hours to try and correct the issue to sail safely albeit with a possible change to the itinerary[/QUOTE]

Good point !

[quote name='CruiseKing']Not the case with the Island's Med Itinerary. These cruises are set up with an overnight in Venice not a same day turn around. It would afford approximately 24 hours to try and correct the issue to sail safely albeit with a possible change to the itinerary[/QUOTE]

I was thinking also they might cancel the Venice overnight and perhaps cancel a "minor" port (IMO) like Mykonos, Corsica or Toulon.

24 hours to correct a serious issue, possibly a bearing, and at a passenger terminal/dock?

Surely you jest. :(

For those of us boarding on Thursday all we can do is wait and see what the situation is. Tracked the ship on and off since last night and it showed it had been able to get up to 19 knots but for the last few hours was sailing at 12 knots - wonder if this is because it has plenty of time to get to the next port. Hoping as it was sailing at 19 knots for a while the problem has been resolved but if not then so be it. After all it is not something Princess want to happen.

My thoughts too, we can only wait and see I am sure the captain will be doing all he can, it's all out of our hands.

What day are you going to Venice? We go Tuesday to have two days there first so may not get any updates, but my view is if I hadn't read CC I would know nothing about problem as I'm sure lots of passengers are unaware to, so I am carrying on as if know nothing...but with hope and fingers crossed, LOL

Oh happy days :)

If I understand correctly (anyone with better engineering knowledge please feel free to correct) if it is JUST an internal bearing, no drydock is required, they just need to shut down the affected side, let it cool, open access and replace and repack. This could probably be done on turnaround day if they have access to port power to keep the ship running (for safety I would expect all propulsion systems to be offline including the generators).

Obviously if its underwater or more damage is found, things get a lot more complicated.

As far as the vibration, its a chicken and egg scenario. Did the worn bearing or whatever cause additional vibration? Or did the structural changes cause the vibration and more strain? Or are they unrelated? We probably won't ever be told for sure.

Okay for those of you less mechanically inclined let me try to help you out.....

If it is a shaft bearing that has gone out then the ship will be going to dry dock to repair it as they will have to pull out the bad shaft to replace the bearing as bearing go all the way around the shaft and the only way to R & R (remove and repair) the bearing is to remove it from the shaft which means removing the shaft.

I will admit I am not an expert as I only work on trucks but if I would have to take a guess the propeller shaft is a couple of feet in diameter. Not something that can be done easily.

I am not trying to be a naysayer but the reality of this is until Princess lets everyone know what is going on we are only guessing.

Hi Loonbeam. Coming from a marine engineering background with the RN, replacing a shaft bearing is a relatively straightforward piece of work. the shaft would either have been locked to stop it rotating but with the adverse affect of putting greater strain on the other rotating shaft or allowing it to rotate freely under the influence of the water over the propeller as the ship is being pushed through the water by the other shaft.

Once alongside, you go ashore and enjoy yourself in the meantime a small team will lock the shaft putting in place a number of safety systems to prevent the shaft from rotating. The shaft is supported on something called a "Plummer bearing", I would expect Princess to have 3 or 4 per shaft. The bearing, I would expect to be of a "white metal, shell" type lubricated by oil. The bearing is curved and sits around the shaft in two semi-circular halves inside a "split housing".

To remove the bearing, the shaft would initially be supported to prevent sagging when the bearing is eventually removed. The housing would be unbolted and one half lifted away exposing the two halves of the bearing and because of their curvature construction, they can be easily slid out of the housing, helped by the oil it will be coated in. New ones would be slid in, oil flushed to prevent foreign object damage, housings refitted and pressure tested to check for oil leaks.

In the meantime the ship functions as though it was a normal day alongside? You return from shore, have a good nights sleep and the next day you toddle off to sea while the shaft vibration is monitored.

As for what caused the problem, well, 1. The new superstructure causing undesigned forces to act on the shaft, 2. A failed oil filter causing foreign objects to get in between the shaft and bearing, 3. Something may have hit the shaft underwater and "dislodged" the shaft.

Mr Madscienceteacher has just written that and hope it helps!

Mandy