Food in NE/Canada Ports of Call

andant

Hi all,

We are taking a cruise from Quebec to Boston on ms Veendam on July 18, docking at Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, and Bar Harbor.

What would your suggestions be for essential meals to have at these ports? Anything special or local? Any particular places which are a must while we are in these ports? We eat everything, and love to try local foods wherever we go!

-Andrei

Food in Quebec will depend on how much time you have and whether you want to eat in Upper or Lower town. I've never had a bad meal in Quebec, so you really can't go wrong no matter where you go. It is my experience, but I have noticed that the restaurants in Upper Town are more likely to have staff that are more conversant in English than French, and that can be a deciding factor if your French is not as good as you would like.

A lot of people will tell you the mussels in PEI are definitely the MUST have thing while you're in Charlottetown. I don't like mussels so I won't say that. I will say that PEI potatoes are the bed I have ever had and do not miss the chance to enjoy some. Fish & chips is a great way to test out the PEI potatoes. Also, Cows ice cream is always worth a stop -- and you can check out the parody merchandise while you're there.

In Halifax and Bar Harbor, you can't go wrong with lobster. I've had great lobster in both places, though I tend to test other options in Halifax more often than not, saving the lobster for Bar Harbor when we plan specifically to go ashore for lunch. Lunch in Halifax is left for if we have time after we do other things.

And I know it's silly but my cruise is never complete without a stop in a Tim Horton's in one of the Canadian ports. Usually we pick Sydney for our Timmie's fix because we know there is one within easy walking distance from the ship.

For Quebec City, you have a large range of possibilities, from typical Quebec fare to elegant dining in first class French restaurants. If you want to try some excellent authentic Quebec food, and you really should, you might want to consider Aux Anciens Canadiens at 34 Rue Saint Louis, just down the road from the Chateau Frontenac:

http://www.auxancienscanadiens.qc.ca/en/index.htm

For PEI and Nova Scotia, you can't go wrong with lobster, mussels and clams. Add Malpeque Bay oysters to your menu for PEI and Digby scallops for Nova Scotia.

A final lobster meal in Bar Harbour would be a great finish! :)

For your Timmy's fix in all Canadian ports and surrounding areas, get your Timmy Me app at http://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/about/timmyme.php

I had a fabulous lobster Cobb salad at the Side Street Cafe in Bar Harbor in May. My mother had their lobster roll and wished she had had the Cobb salad instead only because there was so much bread with the lobster roll.

I highly recommend the Side Street Cafe!

I had a fabulous lobster Cobb salad at the Side Street Cafe in Bar Harbor in May. My mother had their lobster roll and wished she had had the Cobb salad instead only because there was so much bread with the lobster roll.

I highly recommend the Side Street Cafe!

We (group of 4) ate at the Side Street Cafe last fall and all ordered the lobster rolls. We had no problem with the bread and the lobster was incredible and plentiful (no filling)! The blueberry pie is also highly recommended. In addition to delicious food, the service was great (we had a late lunch and didn't need to wait for a table) and we thought the prices very reasonable.

In Quebec many people like the poutine or Tourtiere you can get them just about everywhere

There were a few places close to the port that poutine but we did not get to try it

Of course Maple syrup or maple products are popular in Canada & N.E

When in Halifax if you are adventurous you should try a donair, it is meat in a pita bread with a sweet sauce topped with tomatoes and onions.

now that is Real Canadian food :D

We (group of 4) ate at the Side Street Cafe last fall and all ordered the lobster rolls. We had no problem with the bread and the lobster was incredible and plentiful (no filling)! The blueberry pie is also highly recommended. In addition to delicious food, the service was great (we had a late lunch and didn't need to wait for a table) and we thought the prices very reasonable.

I'm sorry if I implied there was an issue with the bread, there was not. It was just a matter of personal preference - for her there was more bun than she liked. She did enjoy the lobster but she felt that she would have enjoyed the Cobb salad more because there was no bread at all. The Cobb salad has the same lobster mix as in the lobster roll.

For those with gluten sensitivities, like myself, the Cobb salad is the way to go.

Thank you all for your answers! We will try to get as much seafood and lobsters as we possibly can!

Any particular local places you can recommend on PEI and on Cabot Trail? We are planning to rent cars in all Canada ports...