Transpacific to South Pacific (Seabourn)

MsFeb14

We have never crossed the seas for 9 days, but are seriously considering a January 22 day cruise from LA to Auckland through the South Pacific islands. What will the waters be like and also what are the SP islands like? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

I have sailed these seas more than once.

Sorry no one can predict.

The odds say you will have some rough weather and it is cooler and windy the first couple of days out of Los Angeles.

You may have very calm weather, or it might be somewhat rough or parts might be very very (and I mean very very) rough.

History means nothing.

Keith

The seas will be wet.

Anyone who tries to predict with any more certainty runs the risk of being wrong.

Which islands?

I was wondering about windy seas, but I have crossed the Tasman and unlike the prediction, it was like glass. Not so with the Bay of Biscay in Europe - roughest waters I've ever sailed. Destinations are: Moorea, Bora Bora, Papeete, etc.

First few days out of Los Angeles will very likely be cool and windy.

As for the seas...rough is very much in the eye of the beholder. Though size of the ship is a big factor on the open waters of the Pacific.

Many travelers who regularly sail trans-Atlantic or trans-Pacific cruises view rough seas with anticipation as part of the adventure and are disappointed if there are not at least a couple days of bad weather on the long stretch of at-sea days. If you are of the opposite inclination that should be taken into consideration when deciding whether to book your first trans-oceanic sailing.

Thanks for your candid response - the ship is small (450 passengers) but well stabalized. We did experience very rough waters when we came around Europe's western coast up to the Bay of Biscay, but found it exciting AND it only lasted for 36 hours. This is sounding more and more enticing to us. We will decide in the next few weeks.

Edited by MsFeb14

OP you might like to clarify that your 'etc' is the Cook Islands. Most of us Aussies when referring to the South Pacific and the trips we take from here mean the Vanuatuan, Fijian and New Caledonian groups of islands. Your trip heads south west from Tahiti to the Cook Islands then further southward towards New Zealand. Most of our comments would relate to the region more towards the equator.

However it is Cyclone season in the southern hemisphere at that time, in my two trips in consecutive years to the South Pacific from Australia at the end of the cyclone season, one was lovely weather and the other we were chased home by a cyclone and missed 2 and a half ports (1/2 day on Dravuni instead of a full day). We are going just before the cyclone season this year, so fingers crossed.

You may have to post on the Australia New Zealand board to get information about cruising to the Cook Islands because that is not a common cruise destination from Australia. It is done from time to time but not nearly as frequently as the groups mentioned above.

I was wondering about windy seas, but I have crossed the Tasman and unlike the prediction, it was like glass. Not so with the Bay of Biscay in Europe - roughest waters I've ever sailed. Destinations are: Moorea, Bora Bora, Papeete, etc.

The thing about winds are sometimes they blow, sometimes they do not blow, and sometimes they blow too darn much :). You are looking for reassurance on weather and sea conditions and anyone that gives you what you want is simply lying. Even professional weathermen are wrong an awful lot of the time. Wouldn't you want a job where you could be wrong 50% of the time and still keep your job?

As to the Bay of Biscay, DW and I have crossed that body of water more then a dozen times with only one rough day! As to the Pacific, on our last total crossing (last September on the Oosterdam) the seas were quite smooth for nearly the entire voyage of 28 days). Take that same cruise this year and you might have 25 foot seas for a good part of the voyage. Just no way to be sure.

Hank

The thing about winds are sometimes they blow, sometimes they do not blow, and sometimes they blow too darn much :). You are looking for reassurance on weather and sea conditions and anyone that gives you what you want is simply lying. Even professional weathermen are wrong an awful lot of the time. Wouldn't you want a job where you could be wrong 50% of the time and still keep your job?

As to the Bay of Biscay, DW and I have crossed that body of water more then a dozen times with only one rough day! As to the Pacific, on our last total crossing (last September on the Oosterdam) the seas were quite smooth for nearly the entire voyage of 28 days). Take that same cruise this year and you might have 25 foot seas for a good part of the voyage. Just no way to be sure.

And having spent more then 3 years on cruise ships (as a passenger) our roughest single day occurred between NYC and Bermuda (August 1991). Who would have guessed?

Hank