What to do in Santorini TOMORROW!!!

chamima

OK you wonderful Cruise Critic people. I've been following a thread about the revamped Island Princess and it seems that yesterday they ended up taking a boatload of Syrian refugees to Greece and will be missing their scheduled port of Istanbul and going to Santorini, Greece instead.

Are there any kind people on here who have been to Santorini that could give these people some very quick last minute advice on what is the best thing to do.

Here is a link to their thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47098003&posted=1#post47098003

OK you wonderful Cruise Critic people. I've been following a thread about the revamped Island Princess and it seems that yesterday they ended up taking a boatload of Syrian refugees to Greece and will be missing their scheduled port of Istanbul and going to Santorini, Greece instead.

Are there any kind people on here who have been to Santorini that could give these people some very quick last minute advice on what is the best thing to do.

Book a front row table in advance of the ship arriving, is a must.

Great drinks and light meals :D

http://www.santorini-vlounge.com

Have Gyros/Baklava at Taverna Sirtaki, its on the main pier, only a few yards from where the tender drops off.

Open air with beautiful views. :)

Right side of the main pier (facing the pier).

My friend, manager Nico will take good care of you.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Santorini is the most beautiful of the islands we visited just a few weeks ago. Take a stroll through town, stop into a bakery for baklava and a cup of the local iced coffee - yum. Wander the shops, check out the churches, take a bus over to Oia, or just relax in a waterfront café. If you choose to sit in a café, the nicer seats near the water are for dining customers. Be sure to order some food to snag one of those coveted spots. And enjoy!!!

We took a ship's tour which tenders passengers into the new harbor (Athinios) which is accessible by bus. The old harbor near Fira only has access via cable car, donkey or walking the trail used by the donkeys who leave deposits there. The cable car has very limited capacity and I have read that when cruise ships are in town there can be lengthy delays to get on it.

Our bus tour began with a winery tour (wine and snacks were OK but there's also a great view) before driving across the island to the beautiful town of Oia. There was enough time to walk around Oia before returning to Fira where the cable car ends. We remained in Fira and went to the excellent museum to learn more about Santorini. As part of the tour they gave us cable car tickets to return to the pier to tender back to the ship. Thankfully there were no lines to return on the cable car and we ended our day with the Ultimate Balcony Dinner while sailing from Santorini. It was a great way to end a wonderful visit to the beautiful island of Santorini.

Here's a link to a map of Santorini which even shows the winery's location near Athinios:

http://www.new-age.co.uk/santorini/santorini-map.htm

Edited by Astro Flyer

Thanks for all of your responses but we are NOT on this cruise.

I was just reading about their problem and realized that CC has helped me so much in the past so maybe I could facilitate helping someone else.

Please post the advice on the linked thread.

Please post ideas on the thread that's on the link I provided.

Santorini is a beautiful port. I would be happy to just wander around. Have a nice lunch with a glass of wine and enjoy the scenery. Another option is the bus to Oia. It is about 1.5 Euros pp each way. Again the scenery si great and Oia is even prettier than Santorini.

Thanks for all of your responses but we are NOT on this cruise.

I was just reading about their problem and realized that CC has helped me so much in the past so maybe I could facilitate helping someone else.

Please post the advice on the linked thread.

Please post ideas on the thread that's on the link I provided.

Thanks for posting the link.

Rent a scooter. We rented one for all day for 20 Euros. Drove it all over the island and had a blast. DO NOT rent it from anyone by the cruise port/tender area. Those places wanted to charge me 100 Euros for 2 hours. Instead rent from a place away from the tourist area. I wish I could remember the name of the place we rented from. It was on a busy street but not in a tourist area. I think I got the name from a Rick Steve's book. Don't forget you can bargain for a better price.

Santorini is a beautiful port. I would be happy to just wander around. Have a nice lunch with a glass of wine and enjoy the scenery. Another option is the bus to Oia. It is about 1.5 Euros pp each way. Again the scenery si great and Oia is even prettier than Santorini.

FYI : there is no town called Santorini. Oia is one of the towns on the island of Santorini. The one where the ships tender is Fira. The public bus from Fira to Oia is a pretty ride, takes only about 20 minutes and is is very cheap: about 1.5 euros pp each way.

I second taking the local bus Oia. It was a great experience. The bus

stop is close to the cable car at the top, in the town centre. The sometimes

add extra buses when a lot of cruise ship are there. We also enjoyed the walk

up, just watch where you step. In the morning it is easy and not much

donkey pugh on the path. They afternoon it is a little more challenging. Such

great views. Worth it.