Food on Princess Transatlantic

twinkle toes

We are looking at possibly doing the Iberian Passage from Southampton to USA. Curious if anyone has information on whether the food selection is dramatically different from cruises that originate in the US, i.e. caribbean, mexican riviera, etc.

I'm not sure what you mean by dramatically different.

The supplies will be brought on in Southampton, and in our experience they will be UK products. On our Ruby TA last fall we loved the yogurt and other dairy products. The yogurt was the same brand we had at our two pre-cruise hotels, and we were very glad to see the same brand onboard.

The menus are created by Princess chefs, and there will some regional specialties if that is what you're asking.

One thing you might notice is running out of certain things as the cruise progresses. We like to watch the bananas--early in the cruise, they're plentiful. They start getting riper as the days go on and show up in desserts, and towards the end of the cruise there is lots of banana bread at breakfast.

Edited by FritzG

We did a TA last Sept. Did not feel there were any issues with food selections, and I don't think menus repeated, but some menu items may have repeated. Mexican or Caribbean days, can't remember. There will be some items that are popular in the Europe market. There does tend to be less fresh fruit available as the cruise progresses. This is common on every long voyage we have been on.

On my Royal Princess cruises this spring chocolate covered strawberries were no longer available on the canape list for formal night (Elite). Very disappointing! I checked with room service and they confirmed they were no longer available for formal night. :(

Food is subjective so what one thinks is "Yuck" is someone else's, "Yes!"

Menus are different every night although some menu items will be repeated. If there's something you'd like, just ask for it the night before. I get tired of the heavy meals and sometimes order a large salad with grilled chicken instead of the entrees available.

The only time I've seen a food item used up on a cruise was a couple of years ago on the Diamond from Beijing to Whittier when they ran out of cottage cheese. My friends laughed at me when I mentioned it but I really like cottage cheese with melon for breakfast. :) (P.S.: I don't like chocolate-covered strawberries.)

Food is consistent throughout the fleet and does not change "dramatically"

We have found the food similar to all other itineraries whether we are in the Caribbean or in the Med etc.

I noticed no differences at all in the food on our TA. I don't remember running out of anything either. One thing I like about the longer cruises is that they can get around to some of the menu items I like but don't always see on the shorter cruises. A couple of the lamb dishes qualify.