The one thing you buy when you go to St. Thomas

lovevacadays

I don't imagine we will be doing much shopping while we are in St. Thomas. However, we may do a little.:):):)

When you go, what are the one or two items you seek out and buy? I would love to hear about cheap to expensive things.:):):)

Hubby bought scotch there many years ago and purchased Johnny Walker Blue at a very good price. there were lots of liquor stores, but the prices seemed to be about the same. We picked the shop we did because the salesman was knowledgeable and encouraged us to look around before buying. We did and he didn't seem surprised when we returned to make our purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
Nothing. It's a US territory so it's not tax and duty free. I shop on all the other islands personally.

You are incorrect about that. It is tax and duty free. There is no sales tax in St. Thomas and no duty charged on imports.

I don't imagine we will be doing much shopping while we are in St. Thomas. However, we may do a little.:):):)

When you go, what are the one or two items you seek out and buy? I would love to hear about cheap to expensive things.:):):)

Blue Mountain Coffee (Licenced Store)

You are incorrect about that. It is tax and duty free. There is no sales tax in St. Thomas and no duty charged on imports.

Ok. I've always found things more expensive in St Thomas than other islands in the same stores and the same items (ie Effy or Diamonds International).

I know on our last cruise the shopping guide specifically called out to do your shopping in other ports since St Thomas was a US territory. *shrug*

• 2 weeks later...

The last time I went, my daughter (10) and I went all over to the jewelry stores and got as many free gifts as possible. We got quite the collection of necklaces and pendants.

The only thing we bought all day was some chocolate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first time we were there was in late 70's. Stuff was cheap. The last 2 times we were there was 2012-2014. I bought a Beer Koozie and $2 cans of beer. Everything is high.

Everything IS high in the islands...

Ok. I've always found things more expensive in St Thomas than other islands in the same stores and the same items (ie Effy or Diamonds International).

I know on our last cruise the shopping guide specifically called out to do your shopping in other ports since St Thomas was a US territory. *shrug*

Another port may be better for specific items, but STT is not any more expensive than SXM or other similar ports. It is a huge duty-free shopping port.

Edited by blue_water

We'd "buy" a taxi ride to either Sapphire or Lindqvist Beach. ;)

Ah, Lindquist. A favorite. If you've seen the DirecTV commercials with the talking horse, they were filmed there in Feb while we were visiting.

I'm not one that likes to shop on vacation (I'd much rather be at the beach), but this is our first cruise without our daughter and I'm wanting to buy a souvenir at each of our ports for her. She is 19 - does anyone have suggestions on where I could get some unique jewelry? Doesn't have to be jewelry, I'm open to any suggestions. I would just like to have an idea of what I want and where to get it so it doesn't take much time.

My 21 year old daughter LOVES shopping in the 'tented' area of downtown Charolotte Amalie for 'knock off' purses. She looks at all vendors selling purses and picks one where there are several she likes then 'haggles' with them to give her a great deal for buying more than 1. She usually pays $30 or so per purse. Does depend on size and 'brand'.

Just check your merchandise carefully to make sure it is in good condition. (linings stitched totally/properly, no loose seams, etc.)

She loves St. Thomas because of this shopping area for purses.

Good luck.

Hot Sauce! Specifically from a place called Glady's Cafe in downtown Charlotte Amalie. I can leave St. Thomas without buying a single thing other than this sauce. Besides, if you're on a cruise and it stops at St. Thomas AND St. Marteen, you will find better prices for a lot of things (especially liquor) in St. Marteen. Heck, I'm from Puerto Rico and you can buy Bacardi rum CHEAPER in St. Marteen that in PR!! Go figure....

The last time I went, my daughter (10) and I went all over to the jewelry stores and got as many free gifts as possible. We got quite the collection of necklaces and pendants.

The only thing we bought all day was some chocolate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My daughter loves inexpensive jewley and if its free even better-lol! How do you get the free jewelry? Is it advertised or brochures on the cruise?

Is the jewelry (not free ones) good quality? I like simple sliver jewelry and would love to buy some if the prices are affordable