Rough Seas New England/Canada Cruise

ktcishot

I am interested in taking a new england and canada cruise sometime in the next year, but I am worried about the rough seas. I know of someone who had a horrible experience and was wondering if this is just the norm or if their seas were rougher than usual.

It depends. The North Atlantic is notoriously rough. But I've had cruises on glass-smooth seas in the North Atlantic and I've had cruises that are really rough because we were traveling through actual or remnants of tropical storms/hurricanes.

But honestly, the roughest seas I've ever experienced were in the Pacific on a San Diego-Hawaii cruise.

I'd be prepared for the possibility of rough seas as a couple of days of minor-to-middling rough travel are the usual for me on the Canada/New England itineraries.

On our two trips (14 and 10nights) we only experienced one rough night each time. Both were in the Gulf of St Lawrence. Having said that, you could experience more rough seas or none at all, you just never know.

We've done 2 Canadian cruises and had great weather and seas both times. (except for that fog, the last time)

As with any cruise, you can experience rough weather and rough seas. how can one predict it. Ships have the ability to steer clear of things too rough, but sometimes, it is unavoidable.

I wouldn't worry about it, and enjoy your cruise.

Cheers

Len

Generally, you'll stand a better chance of smooth sailing in the summer months than in the autumn. Yes, you could get hit with a weather system in the summer or have barely a ripple in the fall, but your odds are better in the summer.

• 2 months later...
I am interested in taking a new england and canada cruise sometime in the next year, but I am worried about the rough seas. I know of someone who had a horrible experience and was wondering if this is just the norm or if their seas were rougher than usual.

I just took the Cape Liberty to Quebec cruise on the Serenade of the Seas. I was surprised at how calm the ocean was. The weather was beautiful and we had no rain. we had one night that the ship rocked a little bit, but it was nothing.

We did this itinerary several weeks ago and had great weather and calm seas. On most itineraries you're not really out in the North Atlantic. We've been out there on WB TA's and, yes, it can get pretty rough. The Gulf of St. Lawrence is pretty much surrounded by land so I would think the chance of rough seas is reduced.

Ships from NYC to Nova Scotia might see some "action" on Friday into the weekend

Yep! I'm expecting we will feel some of that "action" next Thursday :rolleyes:

When we booked the cruise, we hoped we wouldn't get a rainy week. Not only is there going to be rain - now there is a tropical storm! :eek:

Hoping that it settles down by next week.

-Rose

• 4 weeks later...

We have done the NYC r/t 3 times. All were the same basic week in mid October. The first one in 2004, the weather was fine and ocean map looked good from Bermuda north. Well, TS Nicole quickly came up the Atlantic and we had 70 mph winds and 25 foot seas! The second time, was 2007 and perfect weather, calm seas and sunny days! The last time in 2009 we had rainy weather the first day or so and missed the first port of Newport, RI due to stormy weather. The remainder of the cruise good weather! I guess you can just never tell. You are at the mercy of the weather!

• 3 weeks later...

On our trip at the end of September, we had rough seas on four of the seven nights. It was rough enough that they drained the pools because water was sloshing onto the deck, and we were unable to port in Halifax because the captain felt he couldn't safely dock. However, we met a couple who had done the same cruise in 2014 and were returning to the same route because it had been so beautiful. They said it had been perfect for them. Like others have said, you can't predict it.