Switching up key cards at check in

DandDM

Looking for some info here - for a friend. Or assume it's me; I don't care. Anyway, my buddy (we cruise together often) just booked a spring break cruise out of Galveston.

He and his wife had some credits coming his way because of issues during his last cruise in Alaska, so his Carnival consultant had him book this way: cabin one: him and son; cabin two: wife, mom and daughter. This gave him maximum benefit for the credit; no issues there.

However, the cruise consultant then when on to say that when they checked in at the cruise terminal, they could get new cards to put him and his wife in the same cabin.

I think this is BS - in all my cruises, I have never been able to change at check in. We have only been able to get extra keycards at guest services on the boat. They only thing I can come up with is that maybe since there is an adult in each cabin, they will be more accommodating? But I just don't think they even have the facilities to change cards at that point. . .

Curious if anyone has some experience here - he did hear it directly from carnival :rolleyes:

The way we did it was to get spare *Key* cards for each room from guest services.

This did mean that half of our party had to carry two separate cards. One blank spare key card for the room they are staying in and one ship card for buying stuff.

The way we did it was to get spare *Key* cards for each room from guest services.

This did mean that half of our party had to carry two separate cards. One blank spare key card for the room they are staying in and one ship card for buying stuff.

Yeah, that's my experience, also. You end up with two cards - one for charging and the other to get in the door.

They told him it would all be fixed when he checked in - one card. Hmmm

Yeah, that's my experience, also. You end up with two cards - one for charging and the other to get in the door.

They told him it would all be fixed when he checked in - one card. Hmmm

No reason to have two cards.

We have done this several times with our kids. March over go guest services with entire party and they will give you cards to put husband and wife in one cabin and kids in second.

It's been a long time since we sailed with our kids, but we had to go to Guest Services to get everything switched. Everyone had just one key in the end. The kids were in the cabin next door and were 10, 15 & 18. Not sure if ages make a difference, so figured I'd include that info.

No reason to have two cards.

We have done this several times with our kids. March over go guest services with entire party and they will give you cards to put husband and wife in one cabin and kids in second.

^^ This^^

Guest services after you board will fix you right up.

Looking for some info here - for a friend. Or assume it's me; I don't care. Anyway, my buddy (we cruise together often) just booked a spring break cruise out of Galveston.

He and his wife had some credits coming his way because of issues during his last cruise in Alaska, so his Carnival consultant had him book this way: cabin one: him and son; cabin two: wife, mom and daughter. This gave him maximum benefit for the credit; no issues there.

However, the cruise consultant then when on to say that when they checked in at the cruise terminal, they could get new cards to put him and his wife in the same cabin.

I think this is BS - in all my cruises, I have never been able to change at check in. We have only been able to get extra keycards at guest services on the boat. They only thing I can come up with is that maybe since there is an adult in each cabin, they will be more accommodating? But I just don't think they even have the facilities to change cards at that point. . .

Curious if anyone has some experience here - he did hear it directly from carnival :rolleyes:

Twice so far we've booked so that DH and I were is separate cabins on paper. Once we embarked, we all went straight to Guest Services. The mag strips on our S&S cards were reprogrammed so that DH and I were in our cabin and our traveling companions were together in theirs. We didn't get extra S&S cards, nor would we have accepted that option.

we did this and they made the switch once on board. Were told it was to speed up the check in process not doing it during the initial check in. It may depend on who is checking you in or how busy they are. It saved us a lot of money putting a past cruiser, SR, resident in each cabin. Carnival made the switch painless once on board, so would do it again.

It might be easier to accept the extra card bc OBC seems to be involved.

Once they start switching that around, who knows where it will end up. Don't want to spend the whole cruise at GS fighting to find it.

It might be easier to accept the extra card bc OBC seems to be involved.

Once they start switching that around, who knows where it will end up. Don't want to spend the whole cruise at GS fighting to find it.

My DH and I each had $100 obc both cruises. His stayed on his S&S account even after the cards were reprogrammed.

We had made the cabin reservations with my mother in my room and my dad with my sibling. Everyone was an adult, so it was just a mistake when we made the reservation and of course, my parents wanted to stay in the same room.

We just asked at check in if they could put my parents together, then switch my sibling to my room. It was no problem at all and we each got our room keys reflecting the new room switch.

Edited by CocoCandy

Switch at GS once on board. We did on our last cruise with the kids and our moms...no problem. Everyone had ONE key card.

The issue on the last cruise for us is that my parents wanted to share, and then me and my sister in a different room. I am under 21, and my sister is a minor, which meant our preferred arrangement violated NCL rules. We booked me and dad to share, and my sister and mum.

The solution was that everyone kept their freestyle card for buying things, but we asked for "a spare key for each room" and then gave the spare cards to me and my mum, essentially swapping rooms.

The only downside was having to carry a green ship card for buying things, and a blank white card for getting into the room. No big deal. :)

The issue on the last cruise for us is that my parents wanted to share, and then me and my sister in a different room. I am under 21, and my sister is a minor, which meant our preferred arrangement violated NCL rules. We booked me and dad to share, and my sister and mum.

The solution was that everyone kept their freestyle card for buying things, but we asked for "a spare key for each room" and then gave the spare cards to me and my mum, essentially swapping rooms.

The only downside was having to carry a green ship card for buying things, and a blank white card for getting into the room. No big deal. :)

Carnival allows parents to book their children in separate cabins. Where the kids' cabin is located depends on their ages.

From the Carnival website:

Guests 12 and younger

If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony cabin without a relative or guardian.

Guests 13 - 17 years of age

Can be booked up to 3 staterooms away from their relative or guardian.

Guests 18 – 20 years of age

Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

So far I have not seen guest services program one card to work in two doors. When we have the kids in their own cabin, we have needed a second card to get into the second cabin. Is this different now...one card to open either cabin?

Ok - I am starting to figure this out (thanks for all the replies!).

It sounds like it will be hit or miss as to if they will issue new cards at check-in or GS. However, it does appear that they will be able to get new cards with the correct cabin that will both open the door and be tied to the charge account.

The difference, I think, is that they will still have an adult in each cabin so they won't break any rules. It is likely that when we did it in the past, the situation might not have fit precisely in the box so they were unwilling to re-issue cabin assignments, and thus we ended up with duplicate keys for access only.

Thanks

We have done this several times on different carnival ships. We book one room with me, my MIL and my daughters then another with my husband his dad and our sons. As soon as we get onboard we take the keys to guest services and move me over to my husband's room and my FIL in the room with his wife. It takes 5 minutes and never been a problem.

We only book it that way to help get the best price.

I do it every cruise. Carnival will not allow me to book my 17 and 15 year old daughters in their own rooms, so I book a daughter/parent in one and daughter/parent in the other. As soon as I hit the boat I switch the keys and put my wife and I in the balcony and the kids in the interior. I have yet to have a problem making the switch.

LOL, my children maintaining a key that can still gain access to my room might not be the best plan for their long term mental wellbeing should they attempt to use that key.

This is our daughter, she does not speak much since our last cruise.

Edited by asalligo