Which famous person was on your cruise?

JCJR

I sat at dinner with Mickey Jones and his wife quite a few years ago. He was the drummer for Kenny Rogers and the 1st Edition and also starred on Home Improvement. "He was in 80 movies and more than 500 TV episodes and commercials. Twice he bullied Chevy Chase (National Lampoon’s Vacation, Fletch Lives) and he spent nearly a decade making appearances on Home Improvement. He played many bikers and a lot of killers. He also played drums on hit songs and famous — or infamous — tours."

He was a very laid back Redneck but his wife was a real obnoxious floozy trying to feel important and kept reminding us that her husband was famous. She had the waiter in tears as she kept insisting he didn't bring her the right dessert that she ordered off the menu. He brought her the menu again and went over the desserts with her, and was willing to bring her another one, but she simply kept arguing about what the dessert should be. He finally brought an entire tray of desserts to her, as he didn't know what else to do, so was so irate, and then she said she was going to the show instead, and got up and stomped off in a huff without Mickey.

We were on a Princess cruise a few years back and artist Wyland (famous for his undersea paintings and murals) was on board. There was no previous announcement that he was going to be on the cruise but he ended up doing a demo of his painting techniques one day, hosted by the art gallery staff, which was interesting. He answered questions from the audience while painting.

Only other famous people were three Angels baseball players (Mark Trumbo, Peter Bourjos and Hank Conger) on a fan cruise, but that's why we took it. All are still in the Majors but none are still with the Angels. This was a Carnival Cruise.

Yes they are. I was in the The Haven on an NCL ship with someone who is world famous and had several bodyguards onboard with him and his family as well as personal staff - I don't want to mention who as they are frequent guests on NCL. He and his family were very nice and mostly stayed in The Haven or exited the ship via back elevators with the concierge or butler to go on private tours. Some family members would venture into the public rooms of the ship from time to time unrecognized. Their security people memorized who we were on day 1 of the cruise and never bothered us. We treated the VIP and his family like anyone else. My family has a long history of interacting with various VIPs, so it was nothing new to us. He seemed more interested in our lives than we were in his. Maybe he liked it that we didn't make a big deal about who he was or ask for autographs or photos. We never told anyone else on the cruise who was in the Haven and still won't say. So their secret is safe with us. A funny aside, our Cruise Critic group was mad because we wouldn't bring them into The Haven on the Cabin Crawl. I hadnt put my cabin on the list for the cabin crawl in the first place, but I had intended to bring them up if I could. But I couldn't. I couldn't say why not, so they decided I was a snob and were rude to me for the rest of the cruise. LOL!

We're you told by NCL staff that you could not bring people to your suite or did you just decide not to out of respect for the other guests?

Lois

I have always wondering if very famous celebrities are able to cruise and enjoy themselves without being mobbed for autographs and picture requests.

Looking forward to any other stories :)

Most of them would be safe with me. Was sitting in a restaurant next to Arsenio Hall. He spilled his drink and I jumped up to get a waiter to help (I'm a regular). After he left the waiter told me who he was. Didn't have a clue.

..."a long history of interacting with various VIP's"...........let's see.........let me guess................Oh I got it!!!!...............you're a valet parking attendant ........DING DING DING.........give that man a cigar.............who the h*** cares who is on the ship so long as they don't get in my way.....they are only human like us mere mortals.............."let them eat cake" comes to mind............;)

Just out of curiosity... if you don't want to hear stories about people and celebrities than why are you reading this thread? Lots of people grow up around celebrities and don't find it a big deal. My DD's best friend's dad was an agent to some big stars and she grew up knowing tons of them. Doesn't mean she is a snob. Far from it. Just a fact. Or maybe they work in the entertainment business. One of my good friends has worked in movies for over 30 years and he knows lots and lots of people. It is what it is.

Edited by notentirelynormal

I guess i am out of the loop...most of the people you folks have mentioned I have never heard of before.

But if you are really bored some time, go to flyertalk there are threads in the airlines sections about famous people they have seen in airports and flights. Some pretty big names on there.

We're you told by NCL staff that you could not bring people to your suite or did you just decide not to out of respect for the other guests?

Lois

I decided not to our of respect for the privacy of the other Haven guests (most of whom were with the VIP) and also because I didn't want to be questioned by people on the cabin crawl about who the 2 bodyguards that were constantly in the Haven elevator lobby were guarding or risk someone innocently posting that the VIP was on the ship online and something unfortunate happening like the paparazzi meeting the ship at the next port or alerting some stalker as to where the VIP and his family was. It was a 2 week cruise and the cabin crawl was on the first sea day, so news of the VIP's whereabouts would have had plenty of time to travel via the internet. Also, there were 40 people on the cabin crawl and that's really too many people to bring up to the Haven on a Jewel class ship at one time without disturbing the other Haven guests.

James Taylor on our QM2 crossing last September. Wonderful private concert and graciously signed tickets records cds for hours on end. Marvelous man.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

A lot of celebrities you wouldn't know them out in public without a professional makeup artist and wardrobe person...

Yup, they usually look older and thinner when you see them in person. Lighting and makeup can take off years, but the camera tends to add weight.

Nope, that is Mickey DOLENZ

Davy JONES was in the Monkees too. :p

Actually, there is a Mickey Jones who was a drummer for Kenny Rogers and appeared in National Lampoon's Vacation, as well as Home Improvement. He is no apparent relation to either Micky Dolenz or the late Davy Jones of the Monkees :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

Matt and Amy Roloff was on the Mariner of the Seas with us in Octgober 2005. they were a couple then and not famous, but I had seen them in a documentary on the Discovery channel about their twin boys

We were in one of those atrium rooms on deck 7 and they had a balcony near us. I knew they looked familiar so I finally asked them since I kept seeing them in the hallway. Lol! My husband said I was imagining it and that I had seen another little couple on TV.

Matt told us they were having a show premiering the next spring and my husband did not believe it. He said Matt was pulling my leg because I was dumb enough to ask. Lol. He was wrong! We have Amy on our video too from at the zoo in Nassau!

There was a Little People convention on that cruise I think, unless it was just a group trip as there were like 300 LP on ship.

I am pretty sure Jennifer Arnold was there too as they were also in a room on our deck. This adorable tiny blonde woman not hardly 3 feet tall who looked like a little doll with her partner, also a LP but he was tall compared to her. He was like a foot taller.

Flavor Flav and an NFL hall of famer were in the garden villa on our NCL cruise. DH recognized the player but I didn't even recognize his name.

Update: It was Larry Allen of the Cowboys.

• 2 weeks later...