Sharing our Vacation jewelry tip

illybell

I've seen so many good tips on here that I'm hoping maybe I could share one to help someone else :)

We travel a lot and I'm the worst about losing things while I'm gone, especially the little stuff.

Our last few trips my mother and I have both gone to that 4 letter auction site (not sure if I can put name here) and if you look up the type of item you want (I.e. Ring, necklace, etc) and put: free shipping, auction and what your max price is in the parameters you can get some amazing looking jewelry for next to nothing. It's mostly costume but when you're paying less than $5 for an expensive looking piece who cares really?

For my cruise last December I got a weeks worth of sparkle for around $20. And I didn't have to worry about losing it in the ocean or at port (which I did a few things lol). My mother even got a wedding set for her and my dad so they didn't have to worry about the real ones getting lost/stolen like I saw a post worrying about recently.

A lot of the stuff I got was gold filled so it didn't turn my fingers or tarnish with my sensitive skin.

This was just passed on to us as idea from a friend and it was so convenient to avoid the worry.

Do you mean ebay? People talk about ebay here all the time. And Etsy to a lesser degree :) I have a couple of el-cheapo rings that consistently get complimented. However, for onboard wear, I prefer the real stuff. But if you get comfort knowing that you won't be beating yourself up for losing a less-valuable ring, set, or whatever, then good for you. We each need to do what works for us, right? I'm glad you found a solution that works for you :)

snip... and if you look up the type of item you want (I.e. Ring, necklace, etc) and put: free shipping, auction and what your max price is in the parameters you can get some amazing looking jewelry for next to nothing. ....snip.

When I look for a bit of sparkle onebay it comes up with loads of stuff and I just can't be bothered to go thro it all.

How/where do you add the other parameters of free shipping, your max price etc?

I must admit when I have ordered stuff it sometimes never arrives or if clothing it only fits a barbie doll size despite what the advertised sizing says

Sandy in Spain

If you're on the website it should be along the side and top, you have to scroll down cause there's a lot there. If you're on the app it's at the top of your search results, it's a bar that says refine.

I've ordered a lot of clothing too, it's an absolute must for that to check the size guides (I'm a 1x in U.S. Sizes but 4-5x in Asian sizes) and make sure you're going from a seller with a fairly high rating. Also I've had several bad experiences with clothing coming from Hong Kong, I'm not sure if it's customs issues or what but they never make it to me. We've gotten some great things clothing wise too. We got of of my moms formal dresses from an out of country seller that makes it to order for wayyy cheaper than we could get by home.

Isome, the real stuff, some that passes for real stuff, some fun, some that I make, and there's where the weight comes in!..some neck pieces weigh about a pound. I mean, Hunka hunka size. !..I am now making a collection of many aspects, I have my own show in Aug, a Reg show in my town, New Rec facility, and will get to ETSY...!..I travel the world, and buy from many source that interests me, a lot to put in to newer more exciting pieces..NO, NO steam punk !.....most is for my evening attire..and it matches several things, some, only one top/ensemble.I also rescue evening bags...My Class of '62 prom bag is one of my greatest joys.I'm now getting into Brooch bridal florals...as I have been in the floral

designer for 50 years. Been busy these last few..but will always have time to cruze, and I take several projects with me on any cruze !!!

Thanks for sharing your tip!

I too refuse to take good jewelry on a cruise...for a variety of reasons.

However, I get most of my pieces at local discount stores like TJ Maxx (actually they should pay me for all the free advertising I give them...LOL!), and at a variety of thrift stores and flea markets. I just recently hit the jackpot while visiting my family in FL. My SIL and I always take a Sat. to go shopping at garage sales, flea markets, thrift stores, etc. At a small local thrift store run by a local church, I picked up several vintage pieces for less than a dollar each.

What I usually lose are rings! I can't seem to remember to put them back on after I wash my hands. I just recently (4th of July to be exact) left 3 rings on the counter at a movie theater. Thank goodness this one time, as it rarely happens, a good Samaritan had found them and taken them to lost and found. This is why I rarely ever wear my real wedding ring set. I keep it, along with my mom's and grandmother's sets, in our safe. I only wear my wedding set for special occasions as I would be devastated should I ever lose it.

Edited by mousey

• 4 months later...

I use caution and common sense but why own lovely jewelry if you don't wear and enjoy it? I bring a few pieces when I travel. My DH enjoyed seeing me wear it seeing he bought all of it for me. :) When we would dress formal on the ships, I was happy to have my baubles.

Edited by sail7seas

mousey, when I got engaged 46+ years ago, my grandmother cautioned me against taking off my rings to wash my hands because it increased the chance of losing them.

She suggested that it was better to just clean the rings from time to time and not worry about soap residue, etc.

mousey, when I got engaged 46+ years ago, my grandmother cautioned me against taking off my rings to wash my hands because it increased the chance of losing them.

She suggested that it was better to just clean the rings from time to time and not worry about soap residue, etc.

I have worn my diamond jewelry for over 50 years and don't own nor, would I buy, junk jewelry to go anywhere in. My rings only come off at home for an occasional cleaning.

On vacation I'll wear a different wedding band. At home, rings only comes off when I'm handling raw meat. Then they go to a safe place on a counter far away from the sink.

On vacation they'll come off only if my hands swell. Then they go into the ziplock with the passports.

Edited by SadieN

I think your REAL jewelry is meant to be worn....

I've never "lost" any jewelry....I only take my rings off to clean, (washing your hands won't hurt rings)....and put them right back on...necklaces and bracelets are never left "lying" around....if they're not ON me, they're in their case....

I wear what I wear...all the time!

Edited by cb at sea