Princess Cruise Insurance

algriff

We always get the insurance after friends of ours has to disembark in Kona for medical reasons. Their costs to get home were astronomical. Not to mention $300 to home land security if you disembark before the end of the cruise and that's with the ship's doctor's blessing. Now we get insurance to avoid this sort of thing.

There is only a 25% penalty for cancel for any reason if you have the standard insurance. If you have platinum, you will get it all back %100 as a cruise credit.

So you only get a cruise credit returned? :rolleyes: Not a check for the amount? Is the credit transferable to someone else? If not, I wouldn't think to buy their insurance.

So you only get a cruise credit returned? :rolleyes: Not a check for the amount? Is the credit transferable to someone else? If not, I wouldn't think to buy their insurance.

No. And if this is for two people, each person will have their share of the credit in his/her name.

We look at three things

1) Miscellaneous - Trip Delay; Baggage Delay etc. Credit Card covers this

2) Cruise Cost - we are prepared to take a chance on this. Unlikely we will change our mind and Cancel-for-Reason is covered by Credit Card.

3) Emergency Medical or Evacuation while abroad. At our age this has become a consideration and third party policies provide more coverage for less money.

Note. If you add the cost of the trip, then these policies become expensive. Roughly 8% of trip cost.

For a couple (3) is covered for $150 or so versus Princess $420 on our Med Cruise. Not a lot of money either way compared to overall trip cost.

We lean towards third party insurance because (3) is better coverage, not so much because of lower price.

Final reminder - Princess does not include Air Fare unless bought through them.

Re your item 2. What type of credit card do you use? that covers you for cancel for reason?

You only get the credit for canceling for any reason other than covered reasons. Canceling for a covered reason is refunded by check.

Edited by cactusrose

Two other point in favor of Princess Insurance. . .1) There is only a 60 day look back period for pre existing conditions. Most other companies are anywhere from 120 to 180 days. 2) You can pay for the insurance anytime up to final payment and if you cancel before final payment you will receive a full refund of the insurance premium.

So as soon as we know that there has been no change in our health or prescriptions, we pay for the insurance.

Two other point in favor of Princess Insurance. . .1) There is only a 60 day look back period for pre existing conditions. Most other companies are anywhere from 120 to 180 days. 2) You can pay for the insurance anytime up to final payment and if you cancel before final payment you will receive a full refund of the insurance premium.

So as soon as we know that there has been no change in our health or prescriptions, we pay for the insurance.

I consider this a negative. The policy I buy from my agent waives all pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it at final payment. Other policies waive it if bought within 2 weeks of paying deposit. Plus - coverage is better.

Princess's policy is very tricky if you have a medical condition that is being monitored and having adjustments in medicines.

Edited by Coral

You can purchase insurance from any of the providers just before final payment is due. This is no advantage for Princess.

For the last several cruises we've bought the Princess insurance, in part because of the upgrade to Platinum and the cancel for any reason coverage. It's true that the coverage is secondary, not primary. On the other hand, "primary" coverage doesn't mean you don't have to first pay the provider out of pocket. Even if you have primary medical coverage on your travel insurance, you are still going to have to pay the Princess medical center or the foreign doctor or hospital and then make a claim. The only difference is that with secondary coverage you first have to pay the provider, then file a claim with your normal primary medical insurer (for us this is Blue Cross/Blue Shield). Then you submit your Explanation of Benefits showing what wasn't paid by your primary (because of deductibles, out of network benefits, etc.) and then the secondary coverage kicks in.

Because if the cruise line goes under (not currently likely with Princess, but there is a long list of former cruise lines) then your insurance might also be worthless. Separating the two separates the risk. Also, insurance companies are subject to reserve funds and pay into an insurance fund. Cruise lines are not subject to reserve funds rules nor are they covered by any state guarantee funds.

Actually if you read the Princess Vacation Protection Plan, you will see that the cancellation coverage is directly from Princess, but the Trip Delay/Medical Protection/Baggage Protection is underwritten by Transamerica. I believe Berkley Care administers it but Transamerica "underwrites" it.

Actually if you read the Princess Vacation Protection Plan, you will see that the cancellation coverage is directly from Princess, but the Trip Delay/Medical Protection/Baggage Protection is underwritten by Transamerica. I believe Berkley Care administers it but Transamerica "underwrites" it.

Since I'm not going to purchase the Princess insurance there is no need for me to read in detail who is responsible for what.

For the last several cruises we've bought the Princess insurance, in part because of the upgrade to Platinum and the cancel for any reason coverage. It's true that the coverage is secondary, not primary. On the other hand, "primary" coverage doesn't mean you don't have to first pay the provider out of pocket. Even if you have primary medical coverage on your travel insurance, you are still going to have to pay the Princess medical center or the foreign doctor or hospital and then make a claim. The only difference is that with secondary coverage you first have to pay the provider, then file a claim with your normal primary medical insurer (for us this is Blue Cross/Blue Shield). Then you submit your Explanation of Benefits showing what wasn't paid by your primary (because of deductibles, out of network benefits, etc.) and then the secondary coverage kicks in.

You make a good point.

Why would I want to transfer it to anyone else? :rolleyes:

It serves its purpose.

Different scenarios would make a credit unusable unless you could transfer it. Doesn't take much to think of those situations.

To me, insurance should return money spent. Not a credit requiring the money be spent with the insurance seller.

Hmm is there a time limit on the credit?

How does the air part of the insurance work? Someone mentioned only air booked with Princess is included. So are you also credited for air? Yikes.

As I see it, these BIG details in Princess insurance coverage makes me shop somewhere else. Most insurances have "catches" buried, but at least if you meet requirements you get a check refunded and can decide IF and where you want to vacation again. We are people who review policies carefully. We travel often. And know what to look for for OUR needs and wants. Everyone has their own way of doing things.

You can purchase insurance from any of the providers just before final payment is due. This is no advantage for Princess.

The main issue here is pre-existing conditions and how they are treated by he different companies (covered at final payment, covered if bought within 2 weeks of deposit or a look back period).

Since I'm not going to purchase the Princess insurance there is no need for me to read in detail who is responsible for what.

The thread is about Princess Ins. You don't want to read the details yet you seem to know all about it already and have formed your opinion. If you are not going to read the details don't post incorrect information about it.

There is an absolute advantage for us to book Princess insurance.

How does the air part of the insurance work? Someone mentioned only air booked with Princess is included. So are you also credited for air? Yikes.

The air allows the paid fare to be used within the policy of the airline but without a change fee.

So if the airline rules say any credit has to be used within one year from booking, that is your time limit.

And of course the air $$$ must be used on the airline the flights had been booked with or with the airline's partners, but making the new booking via the original airline.

The thread is about Princess Ins. You don't want to read the details yet you seem to know all about it already and have formed your opinion. If you are not going to read the details don't post incorrect information about it.

There is an absolute advantage for us to book Princess insurance.

Sorry about knowing too much. It is a hazard of my profession for the last 34 years. I work in the insurance industry.

If you read my posts you will notice that I have not advised anyone as to what insurance to buy. However, since I have no intention of purchasing the Princess insurance, I don't have a policy from Princess to read. I do have several policies from the various carriers that sell through InsureMyTrip dot com.

If you feel that it is advantageous to purchase Princess insurance, then go ahead. However, you need to understand that the Princess insurance is not the be all to end all just because you get a free upgrade to a better policy.

When I shop for insurance, I am interested in certain minimums for certain different coverages. Once I find that, I then look a price, other features that are not as important to me and coverages that exceed the minimums that I set. It can take me about two hours to find the policy I end up buying after comparison shopping.

Then, after all of that, I hope to never use it. So far I haven't had to.

knock-on-wood.jpg

Interesting that the anti princess insurance group turn out to be experts in the industry. All I know is that it has worked well for me, and better than some other policies that I have previously purchased. :)

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

Then purchase it. Nobody has said don't buy it. All I said it that I will not buy it. If you like it, buy it.

Can one buy any insurance - Princess or otherwise - after final payment? If so, are there any consequences such as reduced coverage, higher premium, etc.?

We've never purchased trip insurance and I've been so busy at work final payment passed us by before I could research and decide.

Thank you in advance!

We book most of our cruises within final payment timeframe so we usually have decided about whether we are getting the Princess insurance when we book. However, i think i recall them saying that you could take something like 48 or 72 hours to decide about insurance after booking within the final payment timeframe.

I would assume that you couldn't leave it until the last minute as you could then avoid buying it initially but quickly add it on if you determined that you could no longer do the cruise.

Terry (not an expert at anything!)

Edited by AE_Collector