Princess Cruise Insurance

algriff

Can one buy any insurance - Princess or otherwise - after final payment? If so, are there any consequences such as reduced coverage, higher premium, etc.?

We've never purchased trip insurance and I've been so busy at work final payment passed us by before I could research and decide.

Thank you in advance!

Princess insurance must be paid at final payment.

I am not sure about the others. My guess is that you can buy some policies but it may have limited coverage. In this case - I would call the number at insuremytrip.com.

Edited by Coral

Can one buy any insurance - Princess or otherwise - after final payment? If so, are there any consequences such as reduced coverage, higher premium, etc.?

We've never purchased trip insurance and I've been so busy at work final payment passed us by before I could research and decide.

Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can purchase insurance after final payment. The question that is asked is when the original deposit was made. So final payment has no bearing on coverage or price. Actually I would expect that the closer to the sail date you purchase your insurance the less it would cost since there is less time for something bad to happen. You are more likely to break a hip over a period of six months then you are over a period of six weeks.

Yes, you can purchase insurance after final payment. The question that is asked is when the original deposit was made. So final payment has no bearing on coverage or price. Actually I would expect that the closer to the sail date you purchase your insurance the less it would cost since there is less time for something bad to happen. You are more likely to break a hip over a period of six months then you are over a period of six weeks.

Doesn't buying insurance after final payment affect coverage for pre-existing conditions:confused:

Doesn't buying insurance after final payment affect coverage for pre-existing conditions:confused:

No. Coverage for pre-existing conditions is based on the length of time between the first payment (the deposit) and when you purchase the policy. That is the reason for the question about the first payment.

Most companies will waive the pre-existing exclusion if the insurance is purchased within two weeks of the first payment (which of course is the deposit). If your deposit is made one week prior to final payment and you purchase the insurance ten days later, the pre-existing exclusion is waived. The same would apply if you purchase your cruise after final payment is due.

The carriers don't care when final payment is made. They don't ask that question. It is immaterial. What matters is when the first payment is made, not the final payment.

Thanks, everyone, for the insights.

We have no pre-existing conditions (other than not being handsome or independently wealthy...;)) so our primary concern is if we'd have an accident while on the trip, a death in the family, etc.

So the fact we made our deposit a looooong time ago (the day the cruise opened for booking) won't really be an issue for us.

And based on what you're all saying we could still get 'cancel for any reason' insurance - albeit not through Princess (which is ok as we've done air on our own using frequent flyer miles).

Am I correct on my assumptions above?

Thank you in advance!

Thanks, everyone, for the insights.

We have no pre-existing conditions (other than not being handsome or independently wealthy...;)) so our primary concern is if we'd have an accident while on the trip, a death in the family, etc.

So the fact we made our deposit a looooong time ago (the day the cruise opened for booking) won't really be an issue for us.

And based on what you're all saying we could still get 'cancel for any reason' insurance - albeit not through Princess (which is ok as we've done air on our own using frequent flyer miles).

Am I correct on my assumptions above?

No! You cannot purchase Princess Ins after final payment (Princess final payment date).

I am sorry that this one poster keeps giving incorrect information. :(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

No! You cannot purchase Princess Ins after final payment (Princess final payment date).

Actually - I believe this is still true, if you make final payment early with Princess, you can not add insurance a day or two later even if it is before the final payment deadline.

No. Coverage for pre-existing conditions is based on the length of time between the first payment (the deposit) and when you purchase the policy. That is the reason for the question about the first payment.

Most companies will waive the pre-existing exclusion if the insurance is purchased within two weeks of the first payment (which of course is the deposit). If your deposit is made one week prior to final payment and you purchase the insurance ten days later, the pre-existing exclusion is waived. The same would apply if you purchase your cruise after final payment is due.

The carriers don't care when final payment is made. They don't ask that question. It is immaterial. What matters is when the first payment is made, not the final payment.

The policy I buy through my agent (Allianz) covers pre-existing conditions when insurance is added and paid for at final payment. It was a policy that they wrote for the travel agency I book with. All the more reason to look at all policies and the fine details. This policy through Allianz is not available at insuremytrip website, though other policies are available there from this company.

Edited by Coral

Am I cutting into your commissions or something? I didn't say you could by Princess insurance after final payment. I said you could by insurance after final payment. You can. I may not be Princess insurance, but it is insurance via highly rated insurance carriers.

You can attempt to discredit me all you want, all it proves is that either you cannot read or you are making assumptions that are not turn.

Re your item 2. What type of credit card do you use? that covers you for cancel for reason?

You only get the credit for canceling for any reason other than covered reasons. Canceling for a covered reason is refunded by check.

Chase United Mileage Plus, friend had Capital One America Airlines and it is similar. I should be precise it does say 'covered reason'.

Granted, we have no pre-existing conditions (yet) and also have excellent health insurance outside the U.S., but even if we didn't have those things working for us, I would still purchase Princess Vacation Protection and then bump it up with an additional medical only policy. The Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage has saved us $1000s when prices drop after final payment and also provided us huge flexibility when our plans change. I supplement with MedJet Assist if traveling to more remote parts of the world.

I consider this a negative. The policy I buy from my agent waives all pre-existing conditions as long as you buy it at final payment. Other policies waive it if bought within 2 weeks of paying deposit. Plus - coverage is better.

Princess's policy is very tricky if you have a medical condition that is being monitored and having adjustments in medicines.

If you are talking about medications like coumadin, Berkley does not consider adjustments with that type of medication as a change in medication. They understand that changes are part of the protocol.

Your sanario is fine for those that book closer to sailing but many book as much at 18 months out. So I do see an advantage for those of us that book early in being able to purchase Princess Insurance anytime knowing we can cancel before final payment and get a refund. Also, most travel insurance will not insure longer trips and charge more for people over a certain age. I've used other insurance when we have booked close to sailing but now I find most insurance to be more expensive than Princess. I already have a medical insurance that covers me out of country. If I could find a policy that would just cover trip cancellation and trip interruption, I would happily buy that but they don't seem to exist. Even the trip cancellation on credit cards have limited payouts so don't work for me. Now I usually don't buy insurance for shorter, less expensive cruises but for those longer expensive ones, I'll use Princess.

Bottom line is everyone has different needs and should go with the one that fits their priorities.

Edited by cactusrose

Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can buy insurance after final payment, not Princess but there are other companies.

Actually - I believe this is still true, if you make final payment early with Princess, you can not add insurance a day or two later even if it is before the final payment deadline.

Coral, we recently added Princess insurance a couple of month after we paid in full for the cruise. So unless something has changed, Princess will allow you to buy insurance up to final payment date regardless of when you paid for the cruise.

The policy I buy through my agent (Allianz) covers pre-existing conditions when insurance is added and paid for at final payment. It was a policy that they wrote for the travel agency I book with. All the more reason to look at all policies and the fine details. This policy through Allianz is not available at insuremytrip website, though other policies are available there from this company.

Thanks Coral. I just took a look at Allianz and was surprised to see that they do offer a policy without medical but there is a 120 day look back for preexisting condition unless you purchase within 14 days of deposit. Coverage is rather low, but this is a nice alternative for those of us that have medical coverage that covers outside of the U.S. The only drawback is there is no cancellation for any reason. Didn't find your policy but then you did say it was written for you travel agency.

We recently discovered another benefit for purchasing cruise line insurance.

We haven't always purchased Princess insurance, because we found shopping around got us a lower price...until we hit Platinum. (that was a benefit we already knew about...usually cheaper than the "other" insurance)

A couple of weeks ago we cancelled 2 Princess cruises and a Cunard cruise (changed our minds:D:D - DH) and were refunded all the $$ we had paid. We rebooked different cruises in a slightly different time period.

In the past, when we cancelled a cruise (we have done it a couple of times) when we had "other" insurance, we did not get a refund. We were told if we rebooked right away, we would get a credit, but no refund.

I was amazed that we got our $$ back.

We recently discovered another benefit for purchasing cruise line insurance.

We haven't always purchased Princess insurance, because we found shopping around got us a lower price...until we hit Platinum. (that was a benefit we already knew about...usually cheaper than the "other" insurance)

A couple of weeks ago we cancelled 2 Princess cruises and a Cunard cruise (changed our minds:D:D - DH) and were refunded all the $$ we had paid. We rebooked different cruises in a slightly different time period.

In the past, when we cancelled a cruise (we have done it a couple of times) when we had "other" insurance, we did not get a refund. We were told if we rebooked right away, we would get a credit, but no refund.

I was amazed that we got our $$ back.

Yes it works well. ;)

...I would still purchase Princess Vacation Protection and then bump it up with an additional medical only policy. The Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage has saved us $1000s when prices drop after final payment and also provided us huge flexibility when our plans change. I supplement with MedJet Assist if traveling to more remote parts of the world.

I second the above, and have done the same triple-up of policies a number of times. Not cheap, but worth it, IMO, for the peace of mind when far from home :).

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Thanks Coral. I just took a look at Allianz and was surprised to see that they do offer a policy without medical but there is a 120 day look back for preexisting condition unless you purchase within 14 days of deposit. Coverage is rather low, but this is a nice alternative for those of us that have medical coverage that covers outside of the U.S. The only drawback is there is no cancellation for any reason. Didn't find your policy but then you did say it was written for you travel agency.

The policy that I buy was written especially for the travel agency I book through. It is entirely different than what is offered on their website and insuremytrip. It includes covering pre-existing conditions when booked at final payment but you must book through my travel agent's agency to get it. She is part of a very large agency and they have power when negotiating for items like this. I have never seen their policy listed elsewhere. And coverage was great - it beat Princess's by far! It does not cover "cancel for any reason" but covers "if my job doesn't let me go" which would be the only reason I would cancel for any reason.

Though - I am looking for medical when I book a policy as my health insurance only covers 50% outside of the US. Honestly - I just can't buy Princess's insurance due to their low medical coverage.

I actually have no problems losing the cost of the cruise in most cases - it is the possibility of having an accident or medical incident far from home that is the reason I want insurance.

Edited by Coral

Coral, we recently added Princess insurance a couple of month after we paid in full for the cruise. So unless something has changed, Princess will allow you to buy insurance up to final payment date regardless of when you paid for the cruise.

Interesting - I know someone who this happened to a few years ago (direct with Princess) and paid it off early. They could not add it later (before final payment). It is entirely possible things have changed.

If you are talking about medications like coumadin, Berkley does not consider adjustments with that type of medication as a change in medication. They understand that changes are part of the protocol.

Your sanario is fine for those that book closer to sailing but many book as much at 18 months out. So I do see an advantage for those of us that book early in being able to purchase Princess Insurance anytime knowing we can cancel before final payment and get a refund. Also, most travel insurance will not insure longer trips and charge more for people over a certain age. I've used other insurance when we have booked close to sailing but now I find most insurance to be more expensive than Princess. I already have a medical insurance that covers me out of country. If I could find a policy that would just cover trip cancellation and trip interruption, I would happily buy that but they don't seem to exist. Even the trip cancellation on credit cards have limited payouts so don't work for me. Now I usually don't buy insurance for shorter, less expensive cruises but for those longer expensive ones, I'll use Princess.

Bottom line is everyone has different needs and should go with the one that fits their priorities.

My parent used to travel a lot with me who had a lot of medical issues so Princess insurance was out as things were always changing. I don't have pre-existing conditions.

Again - the policy I buy, I buy at final payment and it covers pre-exiting conditions so it doesn't matter when I book the cruise. I used to book many cruises, knowing I would only go on them if things at work with ok or if the price went down and I didn't have to worry about paying for insurance that far out.

I am willing to pay more for insurance for decent coverage. A few years ago, I spent 3 days in the hospital for unexpected surgery and it was $60K. Princess's insurance is $20K. I won't leave the country (except for maybe Canada) with Princess's coverage for medical. If you look around at what $20K in medical will cover, it is minimal.

So I am ok for using Princess for short cruises near the US or in the US (Alaska, Canada NE, etc..) but not for cruises that put me far away where I do need the medical coverage.

I also remember calling Berkeley several years ago to see if my mom's medical changes affected the pre-existing condition clause and they said it did even if she wasn't traveling with me. I called back and the person was iffy on this - I could not get a clear explanation on this. I was not impressed with their answers. I am surprised that changes in coumadin are allowed as my mom was hospitalized 2x because she didn't respond well to that medicine and her numbers were all over. I never asked about that medicine as her other meds changed often and I had already abandoned the concept of Princess insurance due to medicine changes.

Edited by Coral