Celebrity Go Big sale question

Cruiseme0613

New to Celebrity...I called and made sure this was true. The lady I talked to said that if we choose the $150/person, we can use that towards gratuities. Wouldn't that be the better deal when compared to choosing the prepaid gratuities option? Am I missing something?!

Your not missing anything. OBC can be used for anything such as spa treatments, specialty dining, gratuities, shore excursions, etc. The OBC will always be our best option.

It is definitely the better option over prepaid gratuities unless your doing a cruise of more than 10 nights in a suite at which point the prepaid gratuities would be worth more.

Edited by cruisingsince94

New to Celebrity...I called and made sure this was true. The lady I talked to said that if we choose the $150/person, we can use that towards gratuities. Wouldn't that be the better deal when compared to choosing the prepaid gratuities option? Am I missing something?!

No, you are absolutely right. However, if you choose Select Dining, you have to prepay the tips, so the OBC would not be used to pay them. But if you are doing traditional dining, then the OBC is by far a better choice than the prepaid grats.

OBC is the better choice than $300 OBC if sailing in a veranda, Conciegre orAqua cabin or a Suite on a 12 night or longer cruise. Gratuities for a veranda are $12.95 pp x 2, so $25.90. For 12 nights that comes to $310.80.

Less than 12 nights you come out ahead with the $300 OBC.

OBC is the better choice than $300 OBC if sailing in a veranda, Conciegre orAqua cabin or a Suite on a 12 night or longer cruise. Gratuities for a veranda are $12.95 pp x 2, so $25.90. For 12 nights that comes to $310.80.

Less than 12 nights you come out ahead with the $300 OBC.

Did you mean grats as your first word? Makes more sense.

It just goes to show you have to do the math on each cruise to decide what's best for you.

Did you mean grats as your first word? Makes more sense.

It just goes to show you have to do the math on each cruise to decide what's best for you.

Yes, I meant grats- thanks for catching that:)

Edited by jelayne

Yes, I meant grats- thanks for catching that:)

Grats is never the right choice regardless of the length of the cruise. One would have to pay $15- ppd for something that would cost $12.95- ppd whether you prepaid it or paid it on board during the cruise. You would lose$2.05 ppd for absolutely no reason.

I'm so glad I saw this. We were thinking of booking with the best package but now I think we'll be going with the better and choosing the classic beverage package and $300 OBC. Then we'll use the OBC to pay for our gratuities and to upgrade to the premium drink package. The unlimited internet would've been a nice perk but not worth the price jump from better to best.

Grats is never the right choice regardless of the length of the cruise. One would have to pay $15- ppd for something that would cost $12.95- ppd whether you prepaid it or paid it on board during the cruise. You would lose$2.05 ppd for absolutely no reason.

Sorry to disagree, but your first sentence is not correct.

A little math:

Gratuitities /OBC choice

$12.95 x 2 x 12nts =$310.80 / $300.00

$12.95 x 2 x 13nts =$336.70 / $300.00

$12.95 x 2 x 14nts =$362.60 / $300.00

$12.95 x 2 x 15nts =$388.50 / $300.00

$12.95 x 2 x 16nts =$414.40 / $300.00

So for anything more than 11 nights, the OBC will NOT be enough to cover the cost of gratuities. For cruises of more than 11 nights, Gratuities IS the better choice.

A little math:

Gratuitities /OBC choice

So for anything more than 11 nights, the OBC will NOT be enough to cover the cost of gratuities. For cruises of more than 11 nights, Gratuities IS the better choice.

Only if you are choosing the Go Big. If you add Better at 15 per day, per person then you are losing money.

A little math:

Gratuitities /OBC choice

My first sentence is totally correct. You are talking about selecting the $300- OBC in going from big to better. That may be the right choice depending on the length of the cruise. Obviously for a 5 day cruise, paying $75- for $150- OBC is a good deal. For a 10 night cruise you break even, for more nights you lose. Whether you use the OBC to pay grats or something else is completely irrelevant.

What I was talking is the other option that Celebrity gives you for $15- ppd, that is free gratuities and my comment shows that picking that option is always a losing strategy.

My first sentence is totally correct. You are talking about selecting the $300- OBC in going from big to better. That may be the right choice depending on the length of the cruise. Obviously for a 5 day cruise, paying $75- for $150- OBC is a good deal. For a 10 night cruise you break even, for more nights you lose. Whether you use the OBC to pay grats or something else is completely irrelevant.

What I was talking is the other option that Celebrity gives you for $15- ppd, that is free gratuities and my comment shows that picking that option is always a losing strategy.

Yes. You are absolutely correct. I was not considering the $15 ppd charge.

---

Edited by Dakkar