Has anyone??

mndw09

Has anyone ever...ordered from the dining room to go? Is it possible? I know most of the time the same food is offered on the Lido Deck, but is it possible? Sometimes I just don't want to sit through a two hour dinner.

My hubby always got two cheese plates to go to eat in the cabin later

Here's a little tip that I hope will help your DH in the future...you can order a cheese plate from room service and then your DH wouldn't have to carry one back to the room.;)

I too have seen people get take out from the MDR. One time on one of our Caribbean cruises I sailed with a really bad lower back sprain. We had an awesome Cabin Stewart who went and got me take out from the MDR one night because by back was hurting me too much to go upstairs and I had mentioned that I liked what they were serving that night. Awesome!

Edited by mousey

You can't call down to the dining room and order food to go...you need to be present at the table to order with your own servers. That being said, when I've been traveling with someone who has become ill the servers will always be happy to prepare them a plate which I will then carry to the room between courses.

I've taken many a desert out of the dining room when I've been to full to eat it.

Just remember that meals are served in courses and it may take a bit of time before the "TO GO" meal is ready to go.

It depends on the Maitre 'D.

I've sailed the same ship a few weeks apart. First cruise I was able to take out one plate. Second cruise, different MD, no plates out of the MDR. Same waitstaff.

Edited by SadieN

Hubby has taken his dessert to go almost every evening, he is just too light of an eater for 3 courses in a row most nights.

We also had the kids fall asleep between ordering and the food getting to the table. They were still asleep when hubby and I finished, so the waiter brought domes for the tops and let us take their plates with us for when they woke up.

Never tried to take a whole meal, but we have never had a problem with a plate or 2.

It depends on the Maitre 'D.

I've sailed the same ship a few weeks apart. First cruise I was able to take out one plate. Second cruise, different MD, no plates out of the MDR. Same waitstaff.

This has been my experience as well. It is safe to assume you won't know for sure until you are on board. I would not plan on being able to take food out but rather consider it a courtesy. Also as you read thru the above posts notice it was because of illness or injury or was just dessert. So again it is not the norm.

You're on vacation...having a leisurely dinner is an activity unto itself! With good tablemates, the time flies! (Of course, by yourself, the company may get boring pretty fast!)

Regardless of the tablemates, I've had a few too many dinners on Carnival that dragged on way too long.

When I'm eating, I don't want to wait 30-45 minutes between courses. Dinner should take an hour. Not two. And certainly not 3. (Which it has on rare occasion.)

Regardless of the tablemates, I've had a few too many dinners on Carnival that dragged on way too long.

When I'm eating, I don't want to wait 30-45 minutes between courses. Dinner should take an hour. Not two. And certainly not 3. (Which it has on rare occasion.)

I agree with you on this. Obviously this isn't the point of the thread, but really 30-45 minutes between courses is too much for me.

But I have to say I have had the same experience as others. It think it greatly depends on the Maitre 'D for that cruise. I think it's technically not allowed, but some let it slide and some don't.

I see other posters state this a lot, that their MDR meal drags on and on. Up to 3 hours!

I've only been on 5 cruises so far and have always dined with our own traveling party, between 4 in a booth all the way up to a long table with 12 diners seated. We always do assigned dining times and we are consistently in and out in an hour, occasionally an hour and a half but that is the exception.

Totally believe the other posters but just have had a better experience...lucky, I guess.:)

Only on rare occasions when a cabin mate has been quaranteened

My DH contracted a terrible respiratory infection/cough on our CCL cruise to Belize and Rotan. He felt too bad to come to the dining room. Our servers were great about organizing a carry out meal for him all 5 nights he stayed in the room (I'd explained the problem to them an would order from that night's menu.) They'd have it ready for me when I finished my meal -covered with the plastic cover along with silverware.

We were grateful (yes, we expressed our gratitude the last night with envelopes of "green" above and beyond our auto-tips) :)

I have seen desserts being carried out, but each ship is different. I know a lady at our table kept asking the staff on Liberty to allow her to carry food out of the MDR. They declined her request each night. Quoting food safety issues. So she put her food in a zip lock baggie every night.

It took her several days - like day 5 of a 7 day cruise - then the matri d allowed it. She even had a dr's note stating her health issues.

We had an awesome Cabin Stewart who went and got me take out from the MDR one night because by back was hurting me too much to go upstairs and I had mentioned that I liked what they were serving that night. Awesome!

Was his first name Rod? ;)