Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

No not easy. I understand handing her the complaint form, but unless something was said about the DSC, I don't see why anyone would hand the OP that form.

Because onboard management was not interested in addressing the issue.

Yes they should be available and should listen to guests and try to resolve issues onboard . But that doesn't appear to happen all the time and more and more we hear when there is a problem people are just handed a DSC form without further discussion, even if that is not what they wanted at all. I believe people would prefer the issue be addressed and settled onboard but if management doesn't want to listen???

From my perspective management is not one bit interested in any problems relating to service or their customers. On the Escape 2/13/2018 we encountered an elderly woman in the buffet who had dementia or some type of memory issues. She was crying and by herself. Said she had been there for 4 hours and was waiting for her daughter. I know she was alone for at least an hour. We tried to help her but she couldn't remember her name or other significant information. She had a walker with a tag on it. It appeared to have a name on it. We asked an officer(I assume low level) to help her. She came over and tried to get some information but the woman was completely confused. The officer walked away. We assumed she was getting some to help. After about 15 minutes no one came so we asked the officer if she contacted someone else. She said no there was nothing she could do since the woman didn't know her name or cabin #. At this point we were really upset. My husband then went to find someone higher on the chain. Finally someone came and was making an effort to help her calling security and trying to find her cabin. To me this is totally unacceptable on the first officers part. She really needs some additional training. I felt so sorry for that lady. This was the 3rd day of the cruise, a port day. We immediately filled out a comment card. Never heard anything so 2 days later filled another card asking to be contacted. Left name, cabin #, and email address. Left the ship without hearing a word.. To this day (2 months later) still have heard nothing. I have no hope of ever hearing anything either. I still wonder if this issue was ever addressed. Management just doesn't care IMHO. If I was 100% sure the hard working crew wouldn't loose out I would remove the DSC too. We tip extra anyway but would love to put that money directly into the hands of those who deserve it.

Edited by tartan cruiser

Because onboard management was not interested in addressing the issue.

Yes they should be available and should listen to guests and try to resolve issues onboard . But that doesn't appear to happen all the time and more and more we hear when there is a problem people are just handed a DSC form without further discussion, even if that is not what they wanted at all. I believe people would prefer the issue be addressed and settled onboard but if management doesn't want to listen???

I've heard of being given a form when you ask to have the DSC removed. I've heard of being given one when you ask to have the DSC reduced. This is the first time I've ever heard of someone being handed a DSC form without them asking to have the DSC removed or reduced.

FWIW, they did listen and give the poster a complaint form to fill out, which I would guess would go to the crew member's supervisor, but I do agree that if the poster wanted to talk to someone up the line, they should have set a meeting for them.

Sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that you complained about only one employee and then they gave you the form to have your DSC removed for all employees without you asking for it.

Sorry but there is nothing else than "DSC [...] for all employees". NCL does not disclose how they would like customers to believe DSC is distributed so it's all one big batch that covers the overall service once and for all. NCL has made up their mind about how to handle problems and clearly this is it.

Sorry but there is nothing else than "DSC [...] for all employees". NCL does not disclose how they would like customers to believe DSC is distributed so it's all one big batch that covers the overall service once and for all. NCL has made up their mind about how to handle problems and clearly this is it.
How or what the crew is paid is none of my business; it is between the company and the employee.

How or what the crew is paid is none of my business; it is between the company and the employee.

Not really: the fact that you are able (hopefully for good cause) to remove the DSC means that you have some control over what the crew is paid. In addition to that, the fact that it is customary (although totally voluntary) for passengers who have received superior service from specific individual crew members you have a second level of input into how the crew is paid.

It certainly IS your business.

Not really: the fact that you are able (hopefully for good cause) to remove the DSC means that you have some control over what the crew is paid. In addition to that, the fact that it is customary (although totally voluntary) for passengers who have received superior service from specific individual crew members you have a second level of input into how the crew is paid.

It certainly IS your business.

Yes, I can give an additional tip, but as far as how they are paid, what part of the DSC they get, when they get paid, how much they are paid, etc., that is personal information and is between the cruise line and their employees. Same goes when I go to a department store, grocery store, gas station, etc.

What they are saying is NCL has decided this is how it wants to handle problems; hand out a form. Whatever the guest does with that form impacts everyone from that point; not just 1 person.

Yes, I can give an additional tip, but as far as how they are paid, what part of the DSC they get, when they get paid, how much they are paid, etc., that is personal information and is between the cruise line and their employees. Same goes when I go to a department store, grocery store, gas station, etc.

"Same goes..."?

So you are saying that when you frequent a department store, grocery store, gas station, etc. you find yourself in a position to take action which will reduce to compensation received by the staff? Or that if you sure pleased with the service you will leave a tip?

What part of "same" do you not understand?

"Same goes..."?

So you are saying that when you frequent a department store, grocery store, gas station, etc. you find yourself in a position to take action which will reduce to compensation received by the staff? Or that if you sure pleased with the service you will leave a tip?

What part of "same" do you not understand?

No, what I said was it is just like the cruise line, it is personal information between the company and their employees, as to how, what, when, etc. they are getting paid....in other words, none of my business.

On my last cruise i saw way too many staff being totally exchausted not sniling at all..some times even been rude to the point that i thought i was not on NCL but somewhere else...I was so sad seeing staff i knew from previous years having such a big change on their mood...I informed after the cruise NCL about this occurence and i never got any real response that they will keep looking for the fairwell of their crew..They just offered me obc for a future cruise..The point is that i never wanted them to offer me sth like this...I just wanted them to look into this matter and to try to do sth about the crew which really seem so over worked..The reply was obc sth that never really adressed the issue...Ncl at this point seems that they Dont care about their crew and thus leading to serious customer service issues..I will give ncl a last chance cruising with them this summer...if i see that nothing changes on the crew situation then it will be my last cruise with NCL..I dont want to spend my hard earned cash for a company that seems to not care at all about their emploees

No, what I said was it is just like the cruise line, it is personal information between the company and their employees, as to how, what, when, etc. they are getting paid....in other words, none of my business.

I feel the same way except when it comes to tips and service charges- if I am leaving a tip/paying a service charge and it's going to the employees (even if it's split among several) that's fine. However, if I am leaving a tip/paying a service charge and the company is keeping it and paying the employee a salary that is not fine, nor is it fine if the company keeps a portion for itself. I have read several posts that suggest that the latter is happening. If I ever conclude that it is happening (to my satisfaction, and I'm not a court of law;) )then I probably won't be looking at sailing NCL in the future.

On my last cruise i saw way too many staff being totally exchausted not sniling at all..some times even been rude to the point that i thought i was not on NCL but somewhere else...I was so sad seeing staff i knew from previous years having such a big change on their mood...I informed after the cruise NCL about this occurence and i never got any real response that they will keep looking for the fairwell of their crew..They just offered me obc for a future cruise..The point is that i never wanted them to offer me sth like this...I just wanted them to look into this matter and to try to do sth about the crew which really seem so over worked..The reply was obc sth that never really adressed the issue...Ncl at this point seems that they Dont care about their crew and thus leading to serious customer service issues..I will give ncl a last chance cruising with them this summer...if i see that nothing changes on the crew situation then it will be my last cruise with NCL..I dont want to spend my hard earned cash for a company that seems to not care at all about their emploees

This is unfortunate because if Del Rio is serious about taking NCL to the next level this is something that needs to be addressed immediately.

I feel the same way except when it comes to tips and service charges- if I am leaving a tip/paying a service charge and it's going to the employees (even if it's split among several) that's fine. However, if I am leaving a tip/paying a service charge and the company is keeping it and paying the employee a salary that is not fine, nor is it fine if the company keeps a portion for itself. I have read several posts that suggest that the latter is happening. If I ever conclude that it is happening (to my satisfaction, and I'm not a court of law;) )then I probably won't be looking at sailing NCL in the future.
No one has ever proven that NCL takes one red cent from the DSC for themselves. If someone has documented proof, I'm sure we would all love to see it. Yes, the company puts the DSC into their till and then they turn around and pay the crew with it, as well as putting some in for incentives programs for the crew . I'm not sure why some have such a hard time with this (not speaking about you), that is how every company works. A company takes the money from the consumer, they put it into their account and then they pay their employees out of that account. With NCL they have a dedicated amount of cash flow derived from DSC/18% for that, while other companies take it out of their revenue.

What I find so amazing, is that many of those that disagree with the DSC run into overworked, non-smiling crew members, while the majority of reviews I read give props to the crew for their professionalism, happy attitude, etc. Wonder why there is such a disparity on how some are treated and others aren't treated that way.

No one has ever proven that NCL takes one red cent from the DSC for themselves. If someone has documented proof, I'm sure we would all love to see it. Yes, the company puts the DSC into their till and then they turn around and pay the crew with it, as well as putting some in for incentives programs for the crew . I'm not sure why some have such a hard time with this (not speaking about you), that is how every company works. A company takes the money from the consumer, they put it into their account and then they pay their employees out of that account. With NCL they have a dedicated amount of cash flow derived from DSC/18% for that, while other companies take it out of their revenue.

What I find so amazing, is that many of those that disagree with the DSC run into overworked, non-smiling crew members, while the majority of reviews I read give props to the crew for their professionalism, happy attitude, etc. Wonder why there is such a disparity on how some are treated and others aren't treated that way.

We know that they take some of it for crew welfare programs.

We know they have cut off most of the medical programs and even travel support for emergencies they used to provide the crew. (I have posted about both but aggressively nasty comments had them removed; so I suggest you do your own research to verify. No need to take my word on it). So what is crew welfare now? A party with some cake?

I agree with Sparks; if NCL is going to go to the next level they need to start taking better care of crew.

Edited by LMaxwell

We know that they take some of it for crew welfare programs.

We know they have cut off most of the medical programs and even travel support for emergencies they used to provide the crew. (I have posted about both but aggressively nasty comments had them removed; so I suggest you do your own research to verify. No need to take my word on it). So what is crew welfare now? A party with some cake?

I agree with Sparks; if NCL is going to go to the next level they need to start taking better care of crew.

Welfare programs benefit the crew, I've got no issue with that, as long as it goes to the crew.

If you are so interested what NCL pays out of the welfare program, why not call corporate and ask or ask the Hotel Director if you choose to sail on them for a second cruise.

Please show us proof where the crew's medical came out of the crew welfare fund. As far as the travel for emergencies, if folks don't pay the DSC and they only have enough to cover wages, I guess something has to be go.

In the end, I guess you and I will always agree to disagree about this subject.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I never said that they were or that it was proven, but I have seen some reports that are worrisome. My jury is still out.

This is unfortunate because if Del Rio is serious about taking NCL to the next level this is something that needs to be addressed immediately.

You nailed it.

When I sailed on Dawn in January I found the crew to not be the smiling, friendly, happy, helpful people I had found on NCL on my previous cruises. Some were not helpful like they used to be, they just did the job but without that sparkle and happiness that was there before. I enjoy a moment of banter with the crew serving me, I am not one who wants to keep them chatting for 5 minutes or anything like that. We came away quite disappointed and this was a contributing reason to our disappointment amongst other things.

I like crew who engage with the passengers and make me feel welcome. If Frank Del Rio really does want to make NCL into a more upscale line then crew need to make passengers feel like welcome guests. The way the crew was in January was what I would expect of a bottom tier line not one trying to become a better upscale line. I judge a line by how it's staff interact and treat the guests and this is not what I am looking for at all.

I sail again in 21 days and am looking forward to it but a little nervous of what I am going to get.

You nailed it.

When I sailed on Dawn in January I found the crew to not be the smiling, friendly, happy, helpful people I had found on NCL on my previous cruises. Some were not helpful like they used to be, they just did the job but without that sparkle and happiness that was there before. I enjoy a moment of banter with the crew serving me, I am not one who wants to keep them chatting for 5 minutes or anything like that. We came away quite disappointed and this was a contributing reason to our disappointment amongst other things.

I like crew who engage with the passengers and make me feel welcome. If Frank Del Rio really does want to make NCL into a more upscale line then crew need to make passengers feel like welcome guests. The way the crew was in January was what I would expect of a bottom tier line not one trying to become a better upscale line. I judge a line by how it's staff interact and treat the guests and this is not what I am looking for at all.

I sail again in 21 days and am looking forward to it but a little nervous of what I am going to get.

Well said. Hopefully NCL's board are paying attention to this sort of feed-back , and may consider what their customer base wants rather than just short term efforts to improve the bottom line solely by reducing costs.

You nailed it.

This is the first cruise I did that it felt like the staff was doing US A FAVOR by providing the paid service No idle chit chat. No smiles no connection. Like ROBOTS. First cruise that I have experienced this.

This is the first cruise I did that it felt like the staff was doing US A FAVOR by providing the paid service No idle chit chat. No smiles no connection. Like ROBOTS. First cruise that I have experienced this.

Thank goodness. I don't want chit chat from people providing service either on land or on a ship. I want them to do their job. I expect to pay the service charge and then IF they do something exceptional (and I have never had that happen on a mass market line) they will get a gratuity. The idea that they act like robots is refreshing. They are employees, not my friends. I suspect that you don't try to socialize with house keepers in hotels, or servers in restaurants on shore. I'm not sure why you would do it on a ship.

The gratuity has nothing to do with the service charge. It doesn't matter where the service charge goes or how it is divided. It should be mandatory and unremovable for any reason, alternatively NCL and other lines could simply raise fares by $15 - $20 per day and do away with any service charges.

Thank goodness. I don't want chit chat from people providing service either on land or on a ship. I want them to do their job. I expect to pay the service charge and then IF they do something exceptional (and I have never had that happen on a mass market line) they will get a gratuity. The idea that they act like robots is refreshing. They are employees, not my friends. I suspect that you don't try to socialize with house keepers in hotels, or servers in restaurants on shore. I'm not sure why you would do it on a ship.

The gratuity has nothing to do with the service charge. It doesn't matter where the service charge goes or how it is divided. It should be mandatory and unremovable for any reason, alternatively NCL and other lines could simply raise fares by $15 - $20 per day and do away with any service charges.

Nothing like. Good day. Or how was your day. Or please and thank you. Just ROBOTS. I am not looking for friends. Lol. I didn't ask for friends.

No not easy. I understand handing her the complaint form, but unless something was said about the DSC, I don't see why anyone would hand the OP that form.

I thought the person was handed the complaint form as well. Not the DSC form. I can understand that if the person went back, after the complaint form was submitted, that the DSC form would probably be given out.

You nailed it.

The problem is that by all accounts Del Rio has slashed crew pay and benefits while simultaneously raising the price of "gratuities." You're not going to get smiling happy crew members when you raise your bottom line by fleecing them along with your guests. It's another reason why he's going to increase short term profits while destroying the brand, but by that point he'll be able to leave with his golden parachute so what will he care.

The problem is that by all accounts Del Rio has slashed crew pay and benefits while simultaneously raising the price of "gratuities." You're not going to get smiling happy crew members when you raise your bottom line by fleecing them along with your guests. It's another reason why he's going to increase short term profits while destroying the brand, but by that point he'll be able to leave with his golden parachute so what will he care.

He has only continued the trend NCL started a few years ago. Perhaps, if the brand is sufficiently damaged (but not destroyed), new management might be able to undo some of the mistakes of recent years.