Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

Who does the 18% gratuity for bar service go to if not the bar staff? As I said earlier the bar staff knows what the customer is paying for gratuities, I doubt they would just sit by if they weren't receiving it.

I was responding to the poster who said 100% of gratuities goes to crew and it states so on ncl com.

Ncl.com says nothing of the sort. In fact it says some goes towards crew welfare programs. Funding things or events that workers may or may not want or need as opposed to giving them all the money and letting them decide what to do with it, in other words.

But again no one here knows exactly what percentage they get. I feel based on the information provided it is not necessarily 100%. Could it be? Perhaps. But the wording by the company suggests otherwise. That's all I am saying. Wage theft is real and unfortunately some employees have no choice but to accept it.

I know what the promo ads said...apparently you don't understand taht the word used in the promo ad was incorrect. NCL doesn't add an amount daily to your account for gratuities...it adds a service charge. The promotion paid for your service charges.

I suggest you read the guest ticket contract and website FAQs. But I doubt you will because they will debunk your fallacious argument.

I wondered why NCL didn't just say free prepaid service charges. That would have settled everything from the start

I was responding to the poster who said 100% of gratuities goes to crew and it states so on ncl com.

Ncl.com says nothing of the sort. In fact it says some goes towards crew welfare programs. Funding things or events that workers may or may not want or need as opposed to giving them all the money and letting them decide what to do with it, in other words.

But again no one here knows exactly what percentage they get. I feel based on the information provided it is not necessarily 100%. Could it be? Perhaps. But the wording by the company suggests otherwise. That's all I am saying. Wage theft is real and unfortunately some employees have no choice but to accept it.

I agree with what you say with the exception of the "wage theft" remark in your last sentence. The money is not defined as wages, it's a service charge and since NCL doesn't say 100% of the service charge goes to employee wages...some goes to crew welfare programs, as you, and the guest ticket contract say.

You can't steal something that was never promised to be 100% wages.

Edited by njhorseman

I wondered why NCL didn't just say free prepaid service charges. That would have settled everything from the start

I suspect it was because the average customer wouldn't understand the subtle differences between a service charge and gratuities and because many other cruise lines call the charge "gratuities", so people are more familiar with that word and concept.

Edited by njhorseman

I agree with what you say with the exception of the "wage theft" remark in your last sentence. The money is not defined as wages, it's a service charge and since NCL doesn't say 100% of the service charge goes to employee wages...some goes to crew welfare programs, as you, and the guest ticket contract say.

You can't steal something that was never promised to be 100% wages.

First, you make a fair point.

But allow me to clarify. I did not intend to be taken as saying NCL steals wages. Just that in the greater scheme of things (life/planet) it is an unfortunate reality that some employees are taken advantage of and / or wages and even gratuities earned are taken by employers for their own gain. This happens across all industries. Many workers face the choice between dealing with it or being jobless. That is to simply say that just because someone is working does not mean they are also being treated 100% fairly, by any employer.

I suspect it was because the average customer wouldn't understand the subtle differences between a service charge and gratuities and because many other cruise lines call the charge "gratuities", so people are more familiar with that word and concept.

I think they want to bring as little attention to "service charges" as possible. NCL is not alone in this.

It was my understanding that ncl.com only talks about the distribution of the services charges, it does not talk about the gratuities added for bar service, spa services and now specialty restaurant services. But it's been awhile since I've read all that's there so it might have changed. (And the person you were responding to was responding to someone else that stated that the 18% gratuity added to the promotional UBP is profit for NCL since it pays their expenses.)

Edited by sparks1093

The D in the DSC is still applicable I assume? We can still have it all or some removed onboard?

No, it's no longer done onboard. If you want to adjust the service charge you need to obtain a form from the purser's desk and send it in post cruise with the amount of your adjustment. NCL then refunds your money.

Edited by sparks1093

Thanks! I just went on my Vacation Summary and it gives me the option to prepay the $13.50 per day!!!! I'm not interested in fighting the battle on the cruise nor doing any kind of paperwork when I return. This is supposed to be my vacation. I have the UBP but always tip extra even though I prepaid the UBP gratuities. Unfortunately, I will not be tipping any additional. I apologize to the staff in advance; however, NCL is going too far....how can one have a contract in June and NCL changes it in October with no notification???? Mr. DelRio just needs to raise the cruise prices by $50pp per cruise and stop his nonsense.

You should have gotten an email. They went out to everyone. My guess is you missed it. Mine stated I had to prepay by a certain date to keep the old rate.

Did you take your argument to NCL as I suggested ?

I will make a concession to your idea of the FREE GRATUITIES being a SERVICE CHARGE ---- If and when I receive notice from NCL that they have paid my SERVICE CHARGE in error when I was only entitled to the gratuities. I hope this makes you feel that you won the argument.

Did you take your argument to NCL as I suggested ?

I will make a concession to your idea of the FREE GRATUITIES being a SERVICE CHARGE ---- If and when I receive notice from NCL that they have paid my SERVICE CHARGE in error when I was only entitled to the gratuities. I hope this makes you feel that you won the argument.

Obviously you still haven't read these, or if you have read them you don't understand them:

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

What's the service charge?

Why is there a service charge?

The reason there's a fixed service charge is an important one: Our Crew (as are the crew from other lines) is encouraged to work together as a team. Staff members including complimentary restaurant staff, stateroom stewards and behind-the-scenes support staff are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that your service charge supports. How much is the charge? Onboard Service Charges are additional.

How much are the service charges:

For sailings prior to August 1, 2015 rates are as follows:

• $12.95 for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $14.95 for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

Effective August 1, 2015 rates for all sailings are as follows:

• $13.50 per person per day for guests staying in Studio, Inside, Oceanview, Balcony and Mini-Suite categories

• $15.50 per person per day for guests staying in Suite and The Haven categories

(This will be automatically added to your onboard account)

Are service charges across the board for all guests?

All guests 3 years or older.

How do I prepay my service charges?

Contact your travel professional and request that it be added to your cruise reservation. If you have not made final payment this will be included in your final payment amount or if final payment has already been made we will require full payment at the time it is added.

At what point in the booking process can the prepaid charges be added?

They can be added at anytime up to 24 hours prior to sailing.

Why would I prepay my service charges?

The convenience of pre-paying the service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board.

If I cancel my cruise are the service charges refundable?

Yes! The service charges are 100% refundable. If there is a service issue can the service charges be adjusted on board? Guest satisfaction is the highest priority at Norwegian Cruise Line. We have structured a guest satisfaction program designed to handle any concerns about service or on-board product quickly and efficiently. However, in the event a service issue should arise during your cruise please let our on-board guest services desk staff know right away, so that we can address these in a timely manner. It is our goal to reach a satisfactory solution to any issue when it happens and make sure our guests can focus on enjoying their cruise. Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

What about Gratuities?

Unlike most other ships in the cruise industry, there is no required or recommended tipping on our ships for service that is generally rendered to all Guests. While you should not feel obligated to offer a gratuity, all of our staff are encouraged to “go the extra mile,” so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities for exceptional or outstanding service if you care to offer them. Also, certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. We encourage those Guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. Additionally, there is an 18% gratuity and spa service charge added for all spa and salon services, as well as an 18% gratuity and beverage service charge added for all beverage purchases and an 18% gratuity and specialty service charge added to all specialty restaurant dining and entertainment based dining.

And of course there's the Guest Ticket Contract, which is the legal document that governs your relationship with NCL. It defines the service charge and says nothing about tipping or gratuities. Why is that? Why it's because the amount charged to your account daily is the service charge, not a tip or gratuity:

http://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Guest_Ticket_Contract_03_2014.pdf

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge , which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

Edited by njhorseman

• 2 months later...
A gratuity is something discretionary that one voluntarily chooses to pay. Everything else is should be part of the fare.

Exactly.

And a Service Charge is something entirely different.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

• 1 month later...

Last cruise 18 months ago on the Getaway I was charged the Service Charge up front and that was the end of it except for the auto tip on my drinks. Now I am contemplating the Drink/Dining package. So my understanding is that I would be paying up front for gratuities on that and then the DSC at the end of the trip? Is that how it works and if so how much would they charge? I can see probably 18% of the daily cost for the drink package but how would they calculate the dining tips. They don't know how many specialty meals you would have. Thanks

Last cruise 18 months ago on the Getaway I was charged the Service Charge up front and that was the end of it except for the auto tip on my drinks. Now I am contemplating the Drink/Dining package. So my understanding is that I would be paying up front for gratuities on that and then the DSC at the end of the trip? Is that how it works and if so how much would they charge? I can see probably 18% of the daily cost for the drink package but how would they calculate the dining tips. They don't know how many specialty meals you would have. Thanks

The dining package is based off a fixed number of meals at a select number of restaurants. Since most restaurants no longer have fixed cover charges, but are a la carte, they have just assigned a value to a 4 day specialty dining plan and so it is 18% based off that. For the 4 day plan, and I don't have it in front of me right now, the 18% works out to $15 +/-. For the drink plan it is based off of $79 per day, per person; so 18% of that, times number of days cruising.

Thank you. I did a little playing around and found that the tips oh the drinks only, were about $100 a person and combined with any other offer were about $113. That was for a week for each person. If you chose a dining free plan only the tips were only $13 a person. So a 7 day cruise with free drinks and dining would for 2 would end up with total SC and tips of about $400.

What's NCL thinking? They have competition! I think my gratuities are approaching $1000

for 27 days of cruising. Maybe I need to shop some other cruise lines?

Or, here's a thought, don't take any of the "packages" and don't pay those fee's! They are not mandatory. You don't have to take the UBP, etc.