Understanding OBC's Real Value

I am trying to understand NCL Onboard Credit’s (OBC) real value.

1. I BOUGHT the UDP before the 18% gratuity was automatically added on. Charged immediately to my VISA.

2. I pre-reserved my shore excursions. Charged immediately to my VISA.

3. I will pre-reserve the dinner theater which will be immediately charged to my VISA,

4. If I choose to tip on any specialty dining under my UDP it will be charged to my cabin, but I CANNOT use the OBC to pay for them.

5. When I board the ship I cannot repay for the UDP, dinner theater or shore excursions with my OBC and then have my VISA credited for the pre-

payment. Princess does not charge for the pre-reserved shore excursions until 24 hours before the excursion and can use OBC. Both Princess and Celebrity will credit back your charge card for prepaid items that can be paid with OBC. And OBC can be used to pay the daily gratuities.

Therefore I have concluded that the FREE OBC booking incentive that NCL GIVES is really worthless. They give it NO real value. I guess it will pay for alcohol (but not the automatic 18% gratuity on the drink?) and t-shirts.

I plan to thoroughly enjoy my cruise in spite of this.

What a brick and mortar retailer calls "In-Store Credit", cruise lines call "On Board Credit". Each is a technique to get you to spend money instead of giving it back to you in the hope that you will spend it on your own.

As an example, lets say I am the cruise line and I want to sell you a cabin for $900. I also would like you to spend at least $100 more while you are on the ship, although I can't force you to do so.

Or can I?

Instead of offering your the cabin for $900, I'll offer it to you for $1,000 AND I'll throw in a $100 On-Board Credit! Wow!! What a great deal, right? :rolleyes:

Now...I still got the $900 I needed for the cabin and you either have to spend that $100 on my ship...or lose it. That is a win-win (for me).

And THAT is the "real" value of OBC.

1. I BOUGHT the UDP before the 18% gratuity was automatically added on. Charged immediately to my VISA.

3. I will pre-reserve the dinner theater which will be immediately charged to my VISA,

4. If I choose to tip on any specialty dining under my UDP it will be charged to my cabin, but I CANNOT use the OBC to pay for them.

5. When I board the ship I cannot repay for the UDP, dinner theater or shore excursions with my OBC and then have my VISA credited for the pre-

payment. Princess does not charge for the pre-reserved shore excursions until 24 hours before the excursion and can use OBC. Both Princess and Celebrity will credit back your charge card for prepaid items that can be paid with OBC. And OBC can be used to pay the daily gratuities.

Therefore I have concluded that the FREE OBC booking incentive that NCL GIVES is really worthless. They give it NO real value. I guess it will pay for alcohol (but not the automatic 18% gratuity on the drink?) and t-shirts.

I guess the point is that you chose to pre-pay for everything. If I had OBC, I'd wait until I was onboard to book.

Alternatively, there are gift shops, duty free booze on board, etc.

A lot of these things you do not have to book and pay in advance.

We don't book shows and we don't booking specialty restaurants in advance which we eat at every night.

We book on board, we don't know what we want eat tomorrow night let alone x # of months out. We have no problem booking on board for either.

I refuse to give any company my money that far out no matter what, for me it's just principal. And secondly I don't go on vacation to wait in line to get my money back for prebooking.

Lastly as others have said cash out at 3%.

Edited by Ilovesailing

You can use OBC to tip at the specialty restaurants or tip extra for drinks. You cannot use it for the DSC.