Cruise next summer on the Valor - airline tickets

MeredithNC

With the flood of people trying to get aboard the reduced number of flights scheduled by airlines (so the flights always go full), I would book as soon as your plans are firm and you see a fare you are happy with.

By 3 months out from summer, fares will not likely be lower and seats will be harder to find.

I just booked our air 8 days ago for a January 2016 flight to Orlando, the price was not a sale price but I wanted specific flights (non-stop) and flight times (going down a day early due to winter delays possible). In 10 days the fare has gone up $121 already and the flights are 187 days out.

Short answer - air travel has changed a lot from 3 years ago - BOOK ASAP

Looking into cruising on the Valor next summer - when is the best time to get airline tickets, 3 months before, etc.

Not really a definite time to book. With summer travel being in demand, probably not too close to departure. I would keep an eye on the flts and prices. Check Expedia and the airline websites to get an idea as time goes on. I got a ow Tampa to San Juan for a last minute cruise last year and only paid 135.00 total.

Edited by Jay Sam
addition

Looking into cruising on the Valor next summer - when is the best time to get airline tickets, 3 months before, etc.

You can only book 330 days ahead on most airlines, so it will be a few days or more before you can buy anything.

Southwest opens flights up later - about 6-8 months beforehand. My experience has taught me that it's worth waiting for them if they serve your airport.

Otherwise, as mentioned earlier, if you find a price you can live with, go ahead and book it.

I bought tickets for our cruise in January literally a year out. I knew it was a gamble, but I was wiling to take it. The prices were cheap and I paid under $500 for my husband and I to get to our cruise and back. Many people on our Roll Call decided to wait until Southwest released their fares. Well, we have done nothing but watch the rates go up and up.

So, what I would do if I were you. When the rates are released with the major carriers, check them out. If they are something you are willing to pay. Book them. I know I got a heck of a deal and I am so glad I did. There are people flying for the same cruise I am on that are paying almost 3x what I did.

I usually book about 6 months out. I do watch the fares for a while and see if they fluctuate, but I might start doing that at 8 months out, wait for Southwest to release their flights and then book shortly after. Southwest has yet to offer lower fares for the flights I needed, don't know why I always insist on waiting! :rolleyes:

I book that far out because I am usually using tax refund $$ to do so, and I want to go ahead and get them paid for. I do buy travel insurance but I've been lucky the one time I had to cancel a round trip flight (canceled a cruise last minute last fall, on Tuesday and we were to sail on Saturday) but because the flight had been changed once over the 6 months by about a minute in schedule, they refunded me 100%.

We just purchased our tickets for April spring break. We live in CT, prefer to fly from Hartford and also prefer Southwest. Unfortunately Southwest will not release their schedule till about Sept/Oct for 4/16. So I found non stops on American non stop from Laguardia to Miami 5 tickets for $1056.00 I purchased them. I doubt we will find lower than that. JetBlue was pricing over $3,500.00 for my same dates BDL-FLL .. Then we would have needed transfers from there!! That's just outrageous . I hope we scored a good deal!!! Not a fan of AA with their hefty change fees and baggage fees and leaving out of NYC.... But I will be insuring these flights in a day or so considering they are so far out date wise.

I start looking at the fares at the 330 day mark. If I see a price I can live with, I go ahead and book it. Otherwise I keep checking, and then book when I like the price. I nearly always have my flight booked at least 9 months ahead of the cruise. Being on the West Coast, I use Alaska Airlines a lot, and they have a policy that if you see a lower price on their website and send in a form, they'll match that price and give you the difference as a future credit. They also let you change your flights (on Alaska only, not partners) up to 3 months ahead of the flight at no charge.

There is an app called on the fly that I really like. It searches all airlines and tells you the price, in a very simple form. I booked for April at about the 330 day mark and I look once in a while to see what they are doing and they have yet to go as low as I paid.

If you are looking for airfare in the summer months or during spring break, I would book as soon as possible. Me, I always wait until under 90 days and only fly with Southwest. I will literally stalk the website 24/7. Last week I just purchased my flights for my October cruise and got an awesome deal $327.00 RT for 2 including early bird check in, from Chicago Midway to West Palm Beach, I bought them at 3am! We are cruising out of Miami and will take the Tri-Rail to Miami for only $6.90 pp. We will actually switch over to the Metro Rail in Miami then at Government Center stop will switch over to the Metro mover to Knights Center which is directly across the street from our Hotel in Miami. So for $18.30 total for 2 people we get from West Palm Beach to our hotel. There are deals out there, just be vigilant and you will find them.

We chose our cruise for next Jan. about 2 months ago. Hung up the phone and then booked our flight from MCO to MIA and then from San Jua to MCO. Parking has been reserved also. Alls left is 177 days to go by, then on the road to sunny Florida. What Im saying book asap, dont get caught having to scramble at the last minute.